Bearded Theory 2009

Guest timespeedsup

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rufus were you actually stewarding as part of the bearded crew or another area? Can you pm me your full name as I don't remember meeting you and what shifts you were on. As soon as the stage came down we obviously had to divert the little staff we had and car parking really wasn't a priority. We had to have stewards guarding the main stage from that point on.

Whilst most people are in support of us and what we do not to mention the fact that we all go over and above the call of duty, there are always some people who are not happy.

We are a festival organised for charity, anything you do over the 6 hours should be considered as donating their time for charity as the 6 hours is in payment of your ticket fee. If we could pay stewards we would, if we could give you a slap up lunch we would. Just be grateful you had time to eat, we didn't.

However I'm not going to get into an argument with you as I've got more than enough on my plate at the moment. If it was such a terrible experience then I suggest you don't volunteer next year.

There will be t shirts available at some point from Bearded Theory with money going directly to them.

Rufus were you actually stewarding as part of the bearded crew or another area? Can you pm me your full name as I don't remember meeting you and what shifts you were on. As soon as the stage came down we obviously had to divert the little staff we had and car parking really wasn't a priority. We had to have stewards guarding the main stage from that point on.

Whilst most people are in support of us and what we do not to mention the fact that we all go over and above the call of duty, there are always some people who are not happy.

We are a festival organised for charity, anything you do over the 6 hours should be considered as donating their time for charity as the 6 hours is in payment of your ticket fee. If we could pay stewards we would, if we could give you a slap up lunch we would. Just be grateful you had time to eat, we didn't.

However I'm not going to get into an argument with you as I've got more than enough on my plate at the moment. If it was such a terrible experience then I suggest you don't volunteer next year.

There will be t shirts available at some point from Bearded Theory with money going directly to them.

To be fair Katster most festivals rely on the volunteers heavily, especially the small ones. It really is hard to find a balance to suit all the people. Alot is based on trust, and unfortunately some people are w*nkers and just try to blag in.

I actually regret not been able to give more actually re time as I would normally at a short staffed festival, but as you know it was a first for me and my son. Most other small ones I work at have the same problem, or the one of people do their first shift and then f**k off.

It was my and my other halfs' first time at BT this year and all I can say is 'wow'! What an amazing fest it truly was. Our one concern beforehand was the quality of the bands being (mostly) unknown to us but that was quickly dispelled! On the Friday, every single act we saw (dyframix, atilla the stockbroker, dreadzone, 3 daft monkeys, hawkwind, and a couple of others in the something else tent) were outstanding and the rest of the weekend just followed suit with hobo jones being a definite highlight. The axis arena on Saturday night was something else too and the beautiful malinskeys, angel gardens and co made it all very magical.

The bad weather did little to dampen (pardon the pun!) the atmosphere despite the chaos it left in its wake, thanks wholly to the fantastic organisers and the equally fantastic revellers who were not going to let a little tornado, mud and rain get in the way! I was in the something else tent at the time and after the intial scare of the marquee almost collapsing on us, we were all up and trying to help keep the thing upright. Even managed to fix our own rather broken tent later on which was handy!

We have everything crossed for the go ahead next year and if there's only one fest we can make in 2010, it will be BT for sure.

One last thing, there was a two man band on the campfire stage on Friday (can't remember the time!) who both played little guitary things (mandolins?) and were both bald! Does anyone know who they were cos they were fab!?

Edited by BeardedTheory

Rufus worked like mad Sal in the car park, was one of Jeffs amazing crew (he came with Jeffs team to steward for us) and Kat never seemed to stop in the merchandise tent with Daisy.

I think the confusion is because so many stewards left Saturday or didnt even turn up. If the event does go on we need to have a better stewarding plan in place. I will make some thank yous when I get back onto dry land and I apologise for not doing this sooner.

I think this isa little unfair Sal. Both Rufus and Katster worked far far longer than the hours they had expected to on the Friday and Saturday( double in fact) and they had been promised meals. At no point did they say that they wanted gourmet food. I think both of them did accept that the additional hours they worked were for a good cause and both of them have had nothing but praise for how you all dealt with the aftermath of the weather. There were several of us at efest camp who had offered to work for a few hours to help out but were never taken up on our offer. I appreciate that you are exhausted and emotional but to suggest that someone not volunteer next year is unreasonable in these circumstances.

Yes we know how dedicated you all are and that has resulted in one of the most amazing festival experiences ever, but it is your choice to put in the hours and go without food.

These points raised are only minor critisism at the end of the day.

Rufus worked like mad Sal in the car park, was one of Jeffs amazing crew (he came with Jeffs team to steward for us) and Kat never seemed to stop in the merchandise tent with Daisy.

I think the confusion is because so many stewards left Saturday or didnt even turn up. If the event does go on we need to have a better stewarding plan in place. I will make some thank yous when I get back onto dry land and I apologise for not doing this sooner.

That makes sense and as to why he wasn't on my list then! I was only given details of our official crew and therefore their rotas and ensured they were relieved when the shifts changed.

Kat as a friend of mine certainly knows how much I appreciate her help and Rufus I do thank you too and appreciate it despite how it might come across.

I do take your point on board treacle, however meal vouchers were available and all members of the crew and stewards were made aware of this. Perhaps if our Site manager had turned up for any of the festival I could have personally relieved any of the staff struggling as the Head Steward I was meant to be. However, they didn't so I along with Carole did what was necessary and that was even before the incident on Saturday night.

The merchandising tent is our only opportunity to fund raise onsite, therefore it's imperative it's open as much as possible. As far as I was concerned beforehand those in charge of it had it fully manned throughout the weekend.

Can you let me know who you made the offers to, I appreciate your help, I really do. I actually went around the campsite on Sunday morning asking for help and not one person came to help when we had a big problem at the backstage gate.

I do feel that these things can be dealt with later on especially when not only the festival but Rich personally face financial ruin.

several of us who offered to do a few hours each on the subforum before we arrived. In addition to this I offered at the gate when I arrived at 9am on Friday and on Saturday I spoke to Rich in the arena and offered again, telling him to come and get me at efest camp.

I agree that there is a better time and place for reflection.

Have a wee hug. I think you all need one!

*HUG*

I do take your point on board treacle, however meal vouchers were available and all members of the crew and stewards were made aware of this. Perhaps if our Site manager had turned up for any of the festival I could have personally relieved any of the staff struggling as the Head Steward I was meant to be. However, they didn't so I along with Carole did what was necessary and that was even before the incident on Saturday night.

The merchandising tent is our only opportunity to fund raise onsite, therefore it's imperative it's open as much as possible. As far as I was concerned beforehand those in charge of it had it fully manned throughout the weekend.

Can you let me know who you made the offers to, I appreciate your help, I really do. I actually went around the campsite on Sunday morning asking for help and not one person came to help when we had a big problem at the backstage gate.

I do feel that these things can be dealt with later on especially when not only the festival but Rich personally face financial ruin.

Edited by Katster

As a helper on the Bearded Theory face book I would like to say that Angel garden are fantastic people that are a non profit group , they are raising money for Bt and were a great adition to this years festival. I personally feel it was a mistake and thats all by putting there name to it . Across all forums their name is getting tarnished and this is not fair .

As a helper on the Bearded Theory face book I would like to say that Angel garden are fantastic people that are a non profit group , they are raising money for Bt and were a great adition to this years festival. I personally feel it was a mistake and thats all by putting there name to it . Across all forums their name is getting tarnished and this is not fair .

Missed the point entirely.

Also to anyone who does wish to donate, I'll wait till official word is given that it's happening and be sending a cheque to Rich directly.

Paypal is a good idea, but they will loose money on the transactions.

Yeah

Yeah am not disagreeing it should be done, just people would probably prefer it to be done officially via the main Bearded Theory website.

Just I know some people would be wary about paying money to a paypal account with a random name like is on the BT forum..

100% behind this, said the same to Rich last night in a PM but rushing into it gung-ho is maybe the wrong way to do things thats all :D

Just to confirm you can send cheques as posted on the official site this morning if you wish to help out and don't want to send or can't send any money by paypal. Daisy is part of the Bearded Family and as such is trusted 200% and this way we can see exactly what is fundraising and not anything else to do with the festival.

I'm sorry the Greenfairy Stage blew away, I always seem to leave chaos in my wake.....

I never got it together enough to buy a t shirt while I was there. Any chance I can get one now?

Just hang on in there, Rich, Sal, J & everyone else. I can't even begin to imagine how you must all be feeling right now, just remember how much we all appreciate ALL of your efforts.

800px-Hot_chocolate.jpg

Have this, it's laced with Baileys.....