10p cup collecting on again?

Guest mike99

Is it only me that finds it a little bit funny ripping up a cup in front of one of the numerous people running about your ankles grabbing cups? Either that or having a sneaky piss in one and leaving it to get picked up? I know it sounds wrong but you should all just admit that deep down that is a little bit funny!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

agreed, if you don't want to do it - don't! but no need to be awkward to others who do

Personally, after paying 170+ for my ticket, I'd rather not spend my time collecting cups..but i'd happily recycle / pick up a few cards on my way to get more beers - I wouldn't go round searching for cups..but each to their own

I am not saying that I do this to every single cup in order to piss people off I am merely aiming this at the people who hang around waiting for you to finish your drink and then grabbing the cup - I'm not denouncing the recyclying of cups etc I'm just saying that people who spend the entire time running around my feet, invading my space and generally being a huge annoyance deserve a little bit of banter back at them.

I understand people grabbing a few on the way to the bar to reduce the costs of a pint and believe me I am all for reducing the costs of a pint but just make sure it's done in a none obtrusive way!

I'm all for recycling and if people want to collect cups to earn a few quid then good for them.....however, when some little cup monkey is loitering around your cup like a vulture waiting for you to finish then they can f**k right off!

We even saw people fishing cups out of the bin last year, sad bastards.

If i was that skint I'd dance for money/beer. :D

I'm all for recycling and if people want to collect cups to earn a few quid then good for them.....however, when some little cup monkey is loitering around your cup like a vulture waiting for you to finish then they can f**k right off!

We even saw people fishing cups out of the bin last year, sad bastards.

If i was that skint I'd dance for money/beer. :D

Well, I'm glad that some of you are so rich that you scorn the idea and prefer it when the site's a wasteground.

It's certainly well out of order for people to be coveting your cups before you've even finished them (and I can't say this is something I've seen happen much) but for those of us without money to burn, what's not to like? I spend the weekend watching bands, not being a litter picker, but when I go to the bar I pick up any en route and it often knocks £2 or so off the round. Over the course of the weekend, that really helps and the site is far less of a litter zone than most other festivals you could mention.

As many people have pointed out, a lot of the "cup monkeys" tend to be young kids. I think you'll find they're probably bored kids dragged along by their parents and, well, if they want to clean the site up and make a small fortune on the side, good on them.

Edited by DTichborne

This idea of people hanging round waiting for you to finish your pint is a complete and utter urban myth. There are lots of people out there collecting cups, but there are so many lying around that they're never going to waste their time haranguing people into drinking up quicker. Far easier to just keep walking and pick up one of the millions of others that inconsiderate scum leave lying around.

The YouTube video on this thread says it all. The people caught out by the cup fishing joke are just nice friendly people who take it on the chin and laugh when they get caught out - not evil thieving scumbags, ready to kill for their next 10p fix.

With regards to this issue, there is no need for further debate. Anyone who leaves litter on the floor is selfish scum - no better than people who let their dogs crap all over kids' playing fields. Anyone who picks up cups is just cleaning up behind them. If you have a problem with the cup-collectors, you're taking the side of the dog-shite-spreading, Sunny-Delight-drinking, Chris Moyles-listening, 'Bonkers' in Corsa-blaring, beer-belly in sportswear-wearing army of zombies that are gradually turning decent festivals into shite, violent provincial night-clubs.

With regards to this issue, there is no need for further debate. Anyone who leaves litter on the floor is selfish scum - no better than people who let their dogs crap all over kids' playing fields. Anyone who picks up cups is just cleaning up behind them. If you have a problem with the cup-collectors, you're taking the side of the dog-shite-spreading, Sunny-Delight-drinking, Chris Moyles-listening, 'Bonkers' in Corsa-blaring, beer-belly in sportswear-wearing army of zombies that are gradually turning decent festivals into shite, violent provincial night-clubs.

This idea of people hanging round waiting for you to finish your pint is a complete and utter urban myth. There are lots of people out there collecting cups, but there are so many lying around that they're never going to waste their time haranguing people into drinking up quicker. Far easier to just keep walking and pick up one of the millions of others that inconsiderate scum leave lying around.

The YouTube video on this thread says it all. The people caught out by the cup fishing joke are just nice friendly people who take it on the chin and laugh when they get caught out - not evil thieving scumbags, ready to kill for their next 10p fix.

Edited by rivalschools.price

The reason I'm dubious about the whole idea of cup-collectors hassling people to drink up is that I work the bar every year at Reading, and am often stood round with lots of beer that I've 'acquired' and I've never seen it. All I ever see is a bunch of urchins merrily rushing round with improbably large stacks of cups grabbing anything they can find on the floor.

However, if people say they've experienced this, then fair enough - I stand corrected. I still don't see a problem though - surely you just say "I'll be returning this myself mate." Job done.

Edited by Mark E. Spliff