Shangri-La

Guest mr_bizarre

Shangri-La Bars  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Which bars did you visit and what would you change?

• Shackney/The Rum Shack
    • The Rum Shack (V.I.P. Louge)
    • Club DADA
    • The Baseline Circus
    • The Pub
    • The Guerilla Bar (Very hidden)
    • I didn't go to Shangri-La
  2. 2. What times of day did you visit Shangri_La

• 12pm - 6pm
    • 6pm - 8pm
    • 8pm - 10pm
    • 10pm - 12am
    • 12am - 2am
    • 2am - 4am
    • 4am - 6am
    • I didn't go to Shangri-La

I went twice. Once in the day on Thursday where we went and chilled and played foosball in the front end of a plane at the diner. not sure what the place was called.

The foosball tables made for a bit of fun though mates that bought drinks there said they only had spirits (obviously the idea of that particular bar) and they were very expensive (£6 double).

We then went to see Babyhead on Saturday night, the one way system, which was the same as was done last year (at least when I went to see Madness anyway) worked I guess as well as you could hope given the number of people that want to get to the area. The huge queue's aren't nice but there aren't really many other ways around it.

Having the entrance where the exit was might have helped by getting people through into the area quicker and so dispersing into bars etc though i'm not sure how that would work for people exiting on the way back. Having it that way seems more logical but i'd have to see the site again to really work out how the exiting work work.

The bar we saw Babyhead was done out pretty well but when we went there it was too busy to be going to the bar so I can't comment on the quality of bar or service.

Wish I'd spent more time at both Shangrila and Trash City as I always mean too but never get round to it. Babyhead were awesome though.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you wholeheartedly Neil. We did try to make it as different as we could up there and it really was up to a small group of about 5 of us as to what we'd sell where, this is why there were cocktails in Shackney (we eveen sent staff on cocktail training just for that bar)

But at the end of the day we could only pick from items from the stock list and guess what? No list of ales & ciders. We did take a trip off site to get some supplies but decided we could possible bring back all we needed (even in a land rover) So we decided to concentrate on fruits and rums (all of which still ran out)

I'll do my best to kick up a fuss and bring it up with WBC. This is the reason I've put this thread on. I was hoping for negative feedback so I have something to back up my personal qualms.

As for pissing off the sponsors you needn't worry there, we told ALL barstaff they were not to wear there WBC 'Carlsberg/Glastonbury T-Shirts as we didn't want to advertise either in Shangri-La. I think Trash City had the same idea.

Thanks for the answer but I wasn't actually specifically referring to just the bars in Shangri-La, but to all of the bars - as you're saying you're going to feed stuff back to wbc, then their ale policy for all the bars wants addressing so they always have ale at all bars just as they always have the piss at all bars.

After all, if they can keep them properly stocked with the sponsors piss then they are just as able to keep them stocked with ale.

I know they will give a 'reason' for why this happens, but it's not a reason - it's an excuse, the supposed reason is bullshit. They would not allow themselves to ever run out of the piss, so if they put the same efforts into ensuring the bars always had ale then the bars would always have ale.

Thanks for the answer but I wasn't actually specifically referring to just the bars in Shangri-La, but to all of the bars - as you're saying you're going to feed stuff back to wbc, then their ale policy for all the bars wants addressing so they always have ale at all bars just as they always have the piss at all bars.

After all, if they can keep them properly stocked with the sponsors piss then they are just as able to keep them stocked with ale.

I know they will give a 'reason' for why this happens, but it's not a reason - it's an excuse, the supposed reason is bullshit. They would not allow themselves to ever run out of the piss, so if they put the same efforts into ensuring the bars always had ale then the bars would always have ale.

Edited by oafc0000

I thought that was Tarts n Tease? I had a great time in there and saw a few great bands. The Amigas (I think that's how it's spelled) on Sunday night were fantastic. I haven't danced like that since I was a teenager! The drinks were cheap at £2 a shot!

Also Dr Fiddlys Bat Cave was fun and it was hard to get away from there sometimes with Charlies Angels and Satans Sluts coming on repeatedly through the night. I think the small quirky venues are always great and would like to see more of them.

Hi have to say sorry for not going into this area

reason for this we walked in past the loos that were realy smellly but it did not seam to have much in there and decided to turn around

as far as a one way system can remember when losvagness was there and they did the same was a total nightmare and seamed to make it feel unsafe

keep the entrace by trash city but put something closer to it

if your there next year will make sure i give you a visit

Could you persuade Debs or Mark or Chris to read this thread? Or at least take all the concerns, such as this one, back to them?? Pressure from them on WBC, as well as from you on WBC, might help??

My request the same as that of efestivals : MORE CHOICE OF PROPER BEER!!!!!

ETA : I see you've taken the feedback thing on board completely, thanks :) and good luck.

See you at WOMAD!

We really wanted to go to Shangri La after hours but heard about the crowding and decided not to. We got caught up in the LV crowding the year before which was a nightmare. I understand Shangri La can't be made bigger but other all night venues should be put on to even the crowds out.

We went in the daytime and visited The Pub which was lovely although it took me ages to get served, I was ignored by the bar staff and other people were served before me :D

We really wanted to go to Shangri La after hours but heard about the crowding and decided not to. We got caught up in the LV crowding the year before which was a nightmare. I understand Shangri La can't be made bigger but other all night venues should be put on to even the crowds out.

We went in the daytime and visited The Pub which was lovely although it took me ages to get served, I was ignored by the bar staff and other people were served before me :D

really, you should have gone - yes, there was a brief bit of crowding on the path, but it's far from dangerous crowding and nothing so scarey it should be avoided.

Generally it was as ace as Lost Vagueness in it's hey day, one of the best 'pokey' bits on site.

The only real gripes would be it gets a bit busy at night after the bands finish and the one way system, while necessary, is a bit of a pain in the tits.

Had a fantastic cocktail outside the back of some bar on 2 levels with a big camp fire out the back, no scooby what the bar was but great all the same.

My only suggestions would be to get more girls in shorts and wellies walking about and maybe get Duffy to serve the drinks :D

Really wanted to come back up on the last night but my pal's eyeballs fell out at the pyriamid stage after the verve so went spent about 4 hours slumped 15 yards away at the side, waiting for the choppers to land.

Generally it was as ace as Lost Vagueness in it's hey day

nah, it was better than that.

LV always looked as tho it was put together and run by people who couldn't give a shit about any of it .... other than reaping the huge profits they got from their seriously over-priced chargable bits.

Shangri-La looked as tho it had been put together by people who cared about what they were doing, and who wanted those who experienced it to go away feeling that they'd been somewhere worthwhile.

The difference was there to be seen and experienced.