St. Helens Eclectica 2008

Guest Ringo_Spar

I think this is the fourth year of "Eclectica", a one-day free "festival" in St. Helens town centre. Previous headliners have been Dreadzone, Michael Franti & Spearhead and Echo & The Bunnymen last year.

Anyway it's happening this year on Saturday 9th August, and the headliner has been announced, namely Shed Seven.

Further info

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Shed Seven and Levellers to headline free Eclectica Music Festival

Britpop stars Shed Seven and festival favourites the Levellers will be the headline acts at this summer's free Eclectica Music Festival in St.Helens.

The Levellers will be supporting headliners Shed Seven in the free concert in Victoria Square, St.Helens, on Saturday August 9th. Starting at 12 noon, this open-air festival will provide nearly ten hours of exciting and innovative entertainment, combining established acts and flourishing new talent.

Shed Seven's Eclectica set is likely be a memorable one that will delight their devoted fan base and the new fans who, for the first time, are seeing them play together. They will be delving into their extensive back catalogue and selecting tracks from their best-selling studio albums which gave them a run of 15 consecutive Top 40 hits - including the classics 'Going for Gold', 'Chasing Rainbows', 'Bully Boy', 'Getting Better', 'Disco Down' and 'On Standby'.

Eclectica will be a key date in the Levellers’ calendar for 2008, their 20th anniversary year. The band will be appearing fresh from an acclaimed performance at Glastonbury and just two days before they get ready to release their latest album – Letters from the Underground – on August 11th.

Support will be provided by The Maybes? and Amsterdam, who have already had a very successful 2008 with acclaimed festival performances and live gigs and a track on the Liverpool 08 Number One Project CD, duetting with Elvis Costello on the Searchers classic Don't Throw your Love Away.

St.Helens bands appearing at Eclectica include The Cubical, Ghengis Grimes, The Hang Project, Red Orchestra, Mama Beani, Silent Thunder and Ariel Chambers. Liverpool bands The Little Hydes and Beaker Folk of the Bronze Age complete the diverse line-up of this innovative event.

Eclectica is sponsored by James Edwards Land Rover (St.Helens). CALM, Love Music Hate Racism, The Citadel Arts Centre and Liverpool 08 are event partners.

Following the Eclectica Music Festival, The Citadel is hosting an Official Eclectica Aftershow Party featuring a DJ set from Shed Seven's very own Rick Witter and live performances from El Policia and Our Fold. Doors open 9pm. Tickets: All £10.00. Tickets for this event are available from The Citadel box office, telephone 01744 735436 or visit www.citadel.org.uk

Eclectica 08 - full band line-up

Shed Seven

Levellers

Amsterdam

The Maybes?

The Cubical

Ghenghis Grimes

Mama Beani

The Hang Project

Red Orchestra

The Little Hydes

Beaker Folk of the Bronze Age

Silent Thunder

Ariel Chambers

For more information visit www.myspace.com/eclecticamusicfestival or telephone 01744 755150

Eclectica 08 Timetable

12 noon Chilli Con Carnival

The Little Hydes

Ariel Chambers

Beaker Folk of the Bronze Age

Silent Thunder

Red Orchestra

1.45 Ghengis Grimes

2.20 Hang Project

2.50 Mama Beani

3.30 The Cubical

4.20 The Maybes?

5.15 Amsterdam

6.15 Levellers

8.00 Shed Seven

9.15 Close

For more information go to www.myspace.com/eclecticamusicfestival

Well, back from 'tellins and it was great. Spied two Levellers in The Brasserie pub before the gig, one eFestivals T-Shirt (in Olive green) and thoroughly enjoyed the show. Amsterdam were excellent and the Lev's were really good.

Fair play to St Helens council, you don't get much for free these days and that was great!

• 10 months later...

My thoughts exactly. Just seen this, not only is it now a fiver but it's colossaly rubbish. WTF is going on, St Helens did something great for 4 years and have runined it. Typical of the lame, chav infested (sorry I'm judging - but this is a rant) town I sometimes call home. Levellers last year was amazing, loved it. Now this. I have emailed Visit St Helens.com and asked why the hell they've done this.

In the unlikely event I get a reply from St Helens council/visit St helens I will post it, selected highlights from my rant at them below:

My complaint is about the St helens Eclectica Festival. Appears it's been re-named St Helens Live! Good job really as the line up is anything but eclectic.

I look forward to this event but I cannot even begin to contemplate going this year -chipmunk - seriously!

Last year I was blow away by the fact you secured Levellers to play, .........., they had the biggest ever stage front crowd at Glastonbury.

Prior to that Echo and the Bunnymen........., John Power, Amsterdam, Shed Seven............I hear that Festival faves Dreadzone played the first one. Even our own Lancashire Hotpots have played.

Now what. N-Dubz, a former Sugababe, some UK Grime artists and on top of that it's £5 for a wristband.

I'm really interested to know what's caused the shift, I'm old enough to remember the Beautiful South & The Beyond playing St Helens Show................

Edited by TheNewUnion

Well put. They've made a rod for their own back with this one. The "chav" element in the last couple of years have been kept in check by the sheer number of decent minded music fans, this year that won't be the case. It'll be carnage!

Oh well, I hear Bluetones are playing a free do in Rochdale this weekend, might be worth a look

Rich, I have had a reply from St Helens council Will post details when I get home but it's "proper" reply not just some fluff, the guy has even given me a phone number so I can call for a chat. Very impressed indeed!

Rochdale is this weekend, Fri/Sat/Sun I think, with Bluetones on Saturday

Edited by TheNewUnion

Well, I got back to the chap at St helens with a big ramble about the music policy thsi year, he was really receptive and in keeping with the image I have of him being a thoroughly decent chap, he's said he's happy to discuss, at an early stage, next years event.

Sounds interesting and I might actually get to have a look at a festival from the planning and organising side rather than the punter side, which would be cool.

• 1 year later...

So, after the debacle of ndubz in 09 and no event in 2010 St Helens live is back. Now, you'll have to ignore the 90% of the bill as it appears to be people who didn't win X Factor. At the top though, it's only the flippin' Fun Lovin' Criminals. Time for me to visit St Helens again I think. Doubt I've been since the Levellers........... Anyhoo, Fun Lovin' Criminals, St Helens, August 27th, free. Sorted.

Think the Fun Lovin Criminals are also playing the free Friday night at Bingly Music Live in September, if I remember rightly ....

• 1 month later...

12.30pm: Johnny 5th Wheel and the Cowards

1.05pm: Carmela Finnigan

1.25pm: Aquablakk

1.45pm: Rachel Adedeji

2.10pm: Daniel Debourg

2.40pm: Laura White

3.05pm: Encore

3.40pm: The Lancashire Hotpots

4.40pm: Lemar

5.30pm: Fun Lovin’ Criminals

7.00pm Genos for a Kebab!

Easy afternoon in Town to set me up for the weekend.