am i the only one who hopes

Guest greeneyes1980

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, that's very interesting, but the spread of ideas outwards from a central point is not culture, that's promulgation of views/norms either by persuasion or force. If you're talking about the shape of urban environments, that is not culture, that is vernacular architecture (which incidentally Wales has/had and Australia does not).

You're going to have to do better than a flat denial, unless you're just trying to wind me up.

Oh marvellous, yes a diaspora or scattering of equally featureless cultures which are REAL cultures because Mr Cultural Studies says they are! :P

Because anyone can say 'the culture of wales' and then define what it means. That doesn't make it an authentic culture. However, the book I've just referred you to is the greatest authority in the world on this subject. It will tell you exactly why nationalism and national identity is not an authentic basis for a culture. Look at the failure of nationalist regimes in their bid to sustain a purely national culture. They needed totalitarian systems, which ultimately failed, because other cultural systems will have an impact upon the peripheries* (*similar to borders, but more fluid in meaning).

My point is that there are certain pre-requisites for the identification of a culture, one of which in my opinion is works of literature. If you can point to me some oral epic tradition amongst Australian tribes, maybe then I will concede that they have a culture.
Edited by worm

Because anyone can say 'the culture of wales' and then define what it means. That doesn't make it an authentic culture. However, the book I've just referred you to is the greatest authority in the world on this subject. It will tell you exactly why nationalism and national identity is not an authentic basis for a culture. Look at the failure of nationalist regimes in their bid to sustain a purely national culture. They needed totalitarian systems, which ultimately failed, because other cultural systems will have an impact upon the peripheries* (*similar to borders, but more fluid in meaning).

Does it matter if different but similar cultures partake and have partaken (partook?) of each other? Does this make them invalid? Is it not surprising that there would be extensive cultural exchange within Europe (for example) and significantly less in Australasia?
Edited by worm

When you say its the greatest authority in the world on the subject...who gave it that title ??

So the vast majority of people on here and no doubt in the UK belive there is such thing as a welsh culture....yet your book says there isnt so thats it...done and dusted :P

Edited by worm