noise and smells of glastonbury

Guest shavenhaven

Ahh! The sounds of the 80s.

Hot knives! Hot knives!

or Hot tongs, hot tongs!

or Mushroom tea, mushroom tea,

Dammit! We used to name the landmarks around Worthy farm after the prevalence of drugs on sale at that particular point.

Mushroom Bridge, Hash Corner, Grassy Knoll, Speed Lane, Horse Hedge, etc. etc.

Smell wise, it gotta be the smell of camp fires, everytime.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one smell I absoloutely hate is the smell made by those asholes that burn plastic on little "camp" fires (especially on the pyramid field).

Burning plastic is stupid dangerous and very unfriendly to everyone...and only asholes do it!

Rant over, I just hate that smell... :P Give me a ripe dunny any day.

Those chocolate nuts - which are being cooked usually by the concrete bridges - first time smell great by Sunday - the opposite.

Frankensence up int he green fields.

The flags in Jazz World on a windy day

Good topic.

Mike :P

Eeeeehhhhhh, this thread is getting me so excited. I love Glasto sounds and smells.......

My fave:-

Long drop doors banging

Mexican cheers around the site that make you tingle all over!

The constant distant beat of music

Waking up to the sound of tent zips and other campers chatter and giggles about what they got up to last night

Ahhh, love it!!!!

When its a dry fest, the smell of lingering campfire smoke mixed with toxic fumes (and the sight of the BLUE smoke sitting over the lower parts of the fest). THAT makes my heart SING! And my lungs weak!) :)

Went all wibbly back on page 1 with the description of the sound of 'the flags slapping on the poles in the Jazz Field'. Glad I was sitting down, cos I would have fallen over with excitement at that memorable sound.

Longdrop doors smashing and crashing. Nothing else like it in the world. ;)

The Hare Krishnas....sound NOT smell! :lol:B)

Doof(chink) doof(chink) doof(chink)... :)B):D <<< the sound of all the soundsystems all bouncing back off the uberfence at 4 in the morning...well in the days when we HAD soundsystems at 4 in the morning!

The Glade and the Second Stage soundchecking...04...Leftfield's Song of lIfe..but ONLY the best part..for THREE SOLID HOURS ON THE THURSDAY! :)

The late TV guy & writer Pete McCarthy once described a smell of an old man in a pub in Ireland as "smelling like a wet dog in a beer tent at Glastonbury."

One of my most favorite quotes and I think I know just how that smells!

love love LOVE the sight of the lanterns floating over the site at night. As for sounds, it has to be the mexican cheer as the sun peeks out from behind the cloud, and of course the slamming of those long drops.

Stuff waiting a week,...can we go now!!!

• 6 months later...

I know this is a bit of a daft one maybe because it's not really a smell that comes from the festival itself. But the smell of wet wipes and of that dry handwash stuff always reminds me of festivals because it's the only time I use them. A smell specific to Glastonbury I like the most is the one of hot cider from the ciderbus and the taste is of tea from a tin cup get all those things together (because more often than not I've spilt at least half a pint of cider on my clothes) close my eyes and I'm in my tent when I wake up in the morning and I remember where I am :rolleyes: