Favourite acts

Guest Aaron95

I was slightly disappointed with this year's festival. Not because I didn't have a good time, because I did. I also enjoyed many of the bands, but the reason I was slightly disappointed was because I didn't discover anyone new who struck me as amazing. All the bands who were great I had seen before.

The Good

Dreadzone proved they are just great to get a crowd going/ Does anyone know any Dreadzone lyrics? I haven't got a clue what they sing about but it doesn't matter a bit.

The Proclaimers were absolutely brilliant. I was a bit unsure about them as a headline act but they were incredible. They have a great mix of soulful tunes and singalong numbers. And it seems we all knew more Proclaimers songs than we thought we did.

3 Daft Monkeys once again rocked the Big Top. They are just always ace at a festival. Shame they were on against Kate Rusby or else the tent would have been packed out I'm sure.

Transglobal Underground - what a great band to end the festival. They have so much energy it is ridiculous.

Miles Hunt & Erica - nce acoustic set from them. Miles is also a great storyteller in between tracks.

The improv comedy on both nights was great fun and not on at a ridiculously late hour either which was excellent.

The Silent Disco - which is just the best thing ever when you are drunk at 2am in the morning.

The Not So Good

Divine Comedy - I was unsure about them as a choice of headline act as they are a little obscure and most people only know one or two of their songs. I had similar concerns about th Fun Lovin Criminals last year, but they proved me wrong and were great. I thought Divine Comedy started off dreadfully, I got the impression Neil Hannon couldn't be bothered being there, although they seemed to get going by the end of the set.

The Imagined Village - all those famous faces on the stage and it somehow didn't work for me. Dunno why, perhaps I just wasn't in the mood for it on Sunday afternoon but I wasn't particularly impressed.

By the sounds of the posts on here --just about EVERYBODY peaked on saturday!

The only act that made me sit up and listen was that Jason Soudah.... For sure the atmoshere on sunday was quiet to say the least,but--isnt it always the same?

I`ve never seen so many people packing up gear and leaving on a sunday as i did here..and then--those who are there for Sunday might have to get away early for work/school etc etc.

I think its then that the festival "vibe" takes over.. if you are "feeling it" --that sort of pulls you along... but as I did a bit of walkabout on sunday evening--there was quite a few people who looked in "going home mode".

However, I tend not to get much into the WHO DID YOU LOVE threads because its so so objective isn`t it? One Mans Meat etc etc

den

I have to say I loved the Imagine Village and felt Sunday was the best day musically for music I like Rusby v 3DM was the only clash other than The Blockheads and IslandsLost At SEa - I did think the Doghouse/Wickwar Stage had some of the most exciting music I found most interesting/diverse. I felt much of the main stage programming was safe festival fare. Duffy was a good bit of guess work though, a bit like The Feeling last year.

I have to say I loved the Imagine Village and felt Sunday was the best day musically for music I like Rusby v 3DM was the only clash other than The Blockheads and IslandsLost At SEa - I did think the Doghouse/Wickwar Stage had some of the most exciting music I found most interesting/diverse. I felt much of the main stage programming was safe festival fare. Duffy was a good bit of guess work though, a bit like The Feeling last year.

I was slightly disappointed with this year's festival. Not because I didn't have a good time, because I did. I also enjoyed many of the bands, but the reason I was slightly disappointed was because I didn't discover anyone new who struck me as amazing. All the bands who were great I had seen before.

The Good

Dreadzone proved they are just great to get a crowd going/ Does anyone know any Dreadzone lyrics? I haven't got a clue what they sing about but it doesn't matter a bit.

The Proclaimers were absolutely brilliant. I was a bit unsure about them as a headline act but they were incredible. They have a great mix of soulful tunes and singalong numbers. And it seems we all knew more Proclaimers songs than we thought we did.

3 Daft Monkeys once again rocked the Big Top. They are just always ace at a festival. Shame they were on against Kate Rusby or else the tent would have been packed out I'm sure.

Transglobal Underground - what a great band to end the festival. They have so much energy it is ridiculous.

Miles Hunt & Erica - nce acoustic set from them. Miles is also a great storyteller in between tracks.

The improv comedy on both nights was great fun and not on at a ridiculously late hour either which was excellent.

The Silent Disco - which is just the best thing ever when you are drunk at 2am in the morning.

The Not So Good

Divine Comedy - I was unsure about them as a choice of headline act as they are a little obscure and most people only know one or two of their songs. I had similar concerns about th Fun Lovin Criminals last year, but they proved me wrong and were great. I thought Divine Comedy started off dreadfully, I got the impression Neil Hannon couldn't be bothered being there, although they seemed to get going by the end of the set.

The Imagined Village - all those famous faces on the stage and it somehow didn't work for me. Dunno why, perhaps I just wasn't in the mood for it on Sunday afternoon but I wasn't particularly impressed.

Misty's Big Adventure were absolutely amazing on Friday in the Big Top. Got in there a little late and no one was dancing, so I made my way to the front, started going at it and then people started feeling more happy that they wouldn't be the only ones throwing some shapes. Amazing set, lots of fun and all my mates are now converted to them.

Dreadzone. Nuff said really.

Silent Disco on the Friday Night.

The Stornoways were lovely Sunday afternoon music and the African group who were on on Sunday afternoon were also very pleasant to listen to.

Sleeping with The Fishes, who we were camped next to and made good friends with over the weekend, were a great way to wake up on the Sunday Morning. Bit like Doves, who I like a lot.

The Divine Comedy were dull, which I thought the Proclaimers were as well.

:D Anyone who didn't catch The Worm in the Sycamore tent on Sunday night missed a rare treat, Andre & Max playing charming dancing music in an Africn village stylee, even the early shut down of the P.A. didn't stop them/us from bashing out some more great music, before all falling into the Silent Disco.

A great and memorable Sunday night.

www.myspace.com/wormfoodlondon if you want to hear what you missed.

P :D

I enjoyed...

Imagined Village - superb - the best act of the festival

Transglobal Underground

Rattle on the Stove Pipe - excellent music on the Friday evening

Orchestra Boabe

The cinema tent - but only the film with the bouncing balls making music

Silent Disco - although I can not remember many details

I enjoyed...

Imagined Village - superb - the best act of the festival

Transglobal Underground

Rattle on the Stove Pipe - excellent music on the Friday evening

Orchestra Boabe

The cinema tent - but only the film with the bouncing balls making music

Silent Disco - although I can not remember many details

Saturday was my least favourite day, but possibly because I had the hangover from hell. I could take or leave Duffy, don't really like the Blockheads (sorry i know they have a huge following!) and after 20 minutes of Orchestra Baobab I think I'd had my world music fill. I went to see Speirs and Boden but i didn't take to them - although it could have been the hangover. I wanted to see Kathryn Edwards but just couldn't lift my head off the pillow before noon!

I enjoyed the Epstein, who I hadn't heard before, thought Robyn Hitchcock was off his head (not necessarily in a good way) but loved Dreadzone and the Proclaimers.

Sunday was a nice gentle end to the weekend, and I've got a bit of a folk fetish. I thought Richard Walters opened the morning wll, but he had an audience of about 20! Loved the Young Republic (again another new find for me) and Jason Soudah seemed promising to begin with but all his songs were angst ridden ballards and I felt it all got a bit samey. Very talented musician though. Rachel Unthank & the Winterset had the voices of angels, and Miles Hunt still rocks. I love Kate Rusby and she was fab, as always, and I thought the Imagined Village were awesome (and I hate the overuse of that word). I'm a big Billy Bragg fan, which is what drew me to wanting to see them, but I thought the whole performance was really special - I loved the way they weaved in the video clips. I wish I'd seen them when they toured in Autumn 2007 - can't think why I didn't go and see them now. For some reason we weren't feeling Transglobal underground but we drifted away to get food after the Imagined Village and returned mid set at the back and perhaps we just lost the moment.

I wish I'd spent more time seeing bands off the main stage - I didn't see anyone on the Wickwar stage which I think is where you're most likely to run into new stuff.

Piney Gir

Young Republic (also a new find for me, thought they were great)

Heavy Load (beach balls, just great fun)

Jali Cissokho (not quite sure of the name) - on early at Wickwar stage and lovely way to start Sunday.

Act of the Festival, the mighty mighty Kissmet! They rocked the Big Top!

I think I posted on another thread the stuff I enjoyed but can't be bothered to go and look for it. Most of the things we saw were familiar and nothing disappointed at all. new things we enjoyed were The Epstien, Travelling Band (bit like Goldrush who I really like) and Nearly Men. Chris Letcher, who was recommended by a South African mate was brilliant- I'd go and see him again, maybe even pay!

My main plus points musically:

Orchestra Baobab played some damnedly happy music.

Kissmet were well up for it, never seen them before, but will hunt them down at Glasto.

Kasai Masai I only caught whilst getting cider, but they grabbed me enough to stand there with 2 pints bobbing head, eyes shut, nicely gone for 5 minutes. & not a drop spilled :wub:

Miles Hunt nice nostalga & good banter. Related to a member of Wizzard apparently.

Piney Gir good tunes and nicely photogenic.

& Dreazone & Proclaimers goes without saying. :lol:

Act of the weekend for me was The Divine Comedy and Kate Rusby is wasted as a singer - she should be a comedienne.

As for bands I'd never heard of, I'd rate highly The Young Republic, Piney Gir and Dengue Fever were fun.

All in all a cracking weekend - even if I did embarrass my wife by falling over after The Proclaimers had finished.... ;)

Rob

I think I posted on another thread the stuff I enjoyed but can't be bothered to go and look for it. Most of the things we saw were familiar and nothing disappointed at all. new things we enjoyed were The Epstien, Travelling Band (bit like Goldrush who I really like) and Nearly Men. Chris Letcher, who was recommended by a South African mate was brilliant- I'd go and see him again, maybe even pay!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I loved the Blockheads' set but thought much of the Imagined Village was dreary (as is much of the CD IMO), as someone said, it's all down to taste..

In terms of bands that were new to us, we thought Misty's Big Adventure were absolutely excellent, highly inventive visually and musically. We expect to hear more of them.

Misty's Big Adventure were excellent, also enjoyed Kate Rusby, Orchestra Baobab, Duffy, Rook and the Ravens, the Blockheads. John Hegley may well have been my favourite act of the weekend though. disappointed by the Proclaimers and the Divine Comedy really, also The imagined Village didn't work for me either - and i have just realised that they were all the headline acts! :rolleyes: