Cricket

greeneyes1980

8 hours ago, kingbadger said:

Which is why I'd gave gone with Overton as a Broad replacement, and would have picked Wood over Curran for the fourth seamer role as the change up from medium pace. Overton/Robinson at 8 and 9 would still leave us with enough batting. We can still have horses for courses and have Wood there as an alternative. 

I would go with either me or you as much as I'd go for Craig Overton. I don't think I've ever seen a supposed all-rounder look as irrelevant as Craig Overton with both bat and ball. 81mph dobblers combined with a lack of consistency, passable batting performances, and a vague concept of "having the right stuff" do not make a test all-rounder.

I'm a Somerset fan and I genuinely think he's the worst player to play for England since Simon Kerrigan, and even then I'm not sure he's much better. He tears it up in the county championship because of the brilliance of Gregory/Leach/Van Der Merwe at the other end, and batters going after him because he's the least canny bowler. 

I don't rate him, I don't think he should have a future, and I think his borderline passable batting gives him an extra excuse to be picked instead of a genuine reason. If you're looking for a no8 bowling all-rounder I'd much rather see Lewis Gregory in the test team. If looking for an 81-83mph line and length bowler who takes wickets in the county game I'd much rather see Jamie Porter. If wanting someone who can extract wickets with pace and bounce on a Taunton pitch I'd rather his brother (even if he's moved to Surrey).

I think Sam Curran is very much a bits and pieces not-quite-masterful enough cricketer and who's had a test cap or two too many, but between his left arm variation and actual genuine batting capability, I think he's 4 times the cricketer Craig Overton is, and he's been the worst performer this test so far!

21 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

I’d have kept Curran as he offers something different with his left arm and will give Moeen something to bowl into. 

That said, both Curran and Wood have been totally ineffective thus far - so either way, results not great. 

I'm not sold on Curran's effectiveness as a bowler. And in my view if you have a 4th seamer spot I'd back the guy who can bowl 95mph on pretty much any pitch over another medium pace, left arm or not. Just gives you an extra dimension - India also having no left hander in their top 5 makes Curran's role slightly obsolete as well I think. Seems to me he really struggles to swing the ball from outside the right hander's off stump which negates his effectiveness.

13 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

I would go with either me or you as much as I'd go for Craig Overton. I don't think I've ever seen a supposed all-rounder look as irrelevant as Craig Overton with both bat and ball. 81mph dobblers combined with a lack of consistency, passable batting performances, and a vague concept of "having the right stuff" do not make a test all-rounder.

I'm a Somerset fan and I genuinely think he's the worst player to play for England since Simon Kerrigan, and even then I'm not sure he's much better. He tears it up in the county championship because of the brilliance of Gregory/Leach/Van Der Merwe at the other end, and batters going after him because he's the least canny bowler. 

I don't rate him, I don't think he should have a future, and I think his borderline passable batting gives him an extra excuse to be picked instead of a genuine reason. If you're looking for a no8 bowling all-rounder I'd much rather see Lewis Gregory in the test team. If looking for an 81-83mph line and length bowler who takes wickets in the county game I'd much rather see Jamie Porter. If wanting someone who can extract wickets with pace and bounce on a Taunton pitch I'd rather his brother (even if he's moved to Surrey).

I think Sam Curran is very much a bits and pieces not-quite-masterful enough cricketer and who's had a test cap or two too many, but between his left arm variation and actual genuine batting capability, I think he's 4 times the cricketer Craig Overton is, and he's been the worst performer this test so far!

OK I take it back regards Overton! All I know of him really is his decent county record and the notion he's a line/length bowler England like, and can bat a bit. Don't get me started on why the likes of Porter and Gregory can't get a look in! Smaller medium pacers can still take plenty of wickets in test match cricket, especially in England. Just look at Philander, Abbas, Kemar Roach (now his pace has dropped).  

England would have bitten your hand off at any point from after tea onwards yesterday to restrict India to 365. Let's see if we can at least avoid the follow on! 

1 hour ago, kingbadger said:

OK I take it back regards Overton! All I know of him really is his decent county record and the notion he's a line/length bowler England like, and can bat a bit. Don't get me started on why the likes of Porter and Gregory can't get a look in! Smaller medium pacers can still take plenty of wickets in test match cricket, especially in England. Just look at Philander, Abbas, Kemar Roach (now his pace has dropped).  

England would have bitten your hand off at any point from after tea onwards yesterday to restrict India to 365. Let's see if we can at least avoid the follow on! 

Anderson, Broad, Archer, Woakes, Stokes is an incredibly good first 5 fast bowlers. There's also Wood, Stone, Mahmood and other 90mph bowlers who are around as offering an extra edge with pace. I have no doubt that there's plenty of county bowlers who can take wickets in home tests, Toby Roland Jones had a great time in his only test series and after his injury he's not been back in contention. Porter and Gregory have been around the squad before, and for some reason aren't any more. I don't think my getting a game is even an indictment on them, just the quality of the established bowlers. 

Archer and Robinson are the first bowlers in a decade to really break in so impressively that they've forced themselves into regular contention (and we'll see on Robinson). Even Woakes never completely managed to nail a spot. It's testament to the high standards set by Anderson and Broad. 

But... If you're going to blood another player into the side, there's no need for it to be C Overton. He's played a few tests already, and to me shown he's not good enough. I don't think his improved record over the last 2 seasons is indicative of his improvement as much as Somerset overall. 

Poor Hameed. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2021 at 12:58 AM, kaosmark2 said:

I thought Overton was pretty good in this test. I liked his consistency, he wasn’t erratic like Curran can be. Not suggesting he’s the next coming of Christ, not even suggesting he should play on Thursday, but as someone who has seen little of him, I was impressed. 

6 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

I thought Overton was pretty good in this test. I liked his consistency, he wasn’t erratic like Curran can be. Not suggesting he’s the next coming of Christ, not even suggesting he should play on Thursday, but as someone who has seen little of him, I was impressed. 

Seemed much more consistent than previously, which was probably an unfair criticism to make given his record over the last 2 summers (and not watching him live in that time), but there still wasn't anything to make him stand out I think. 

I was there for Curran's debut test and he was very erratic then, but that's true of a lot of young bowlers. I had more hope that he'd improve and that's not quite panned out yet. Although I did see the stat that his bowling and batting averages are better than that of Woakes/Stokes/Broad at the same stage of their test careers. Dunno, a big thing for me with Overton is that I just think Gregory is notably better and it's that he's getting further test caps when other good players still haven't had a chance yet. Mahmood and Gregory being the standouts to me.

I'd like to see one of Woakes/Wood come in for one of Curran/Overton. I worry slightly that Anderson might need a rest after his general 2nd innings record this year and last game in particular, but I'd also be worried about bringing in 2 bowlers off injuries. Exciting series though.

If it’s a usual Oval wicket I’d slightly favour Wood over Woakes but I’d 100% be playing Woakes at Old Trafford. 

In fact I’d probably play both in this test. 

I’d bring in Pope for Buttler dropping Bairstow down one spot in the batting lineup now he’s keeping wicket. 

Woakes for Curran, who I don’t think anyone has really ever been convinced by in the traditional sense. Plenty of scope for him to return at a later stage (but not in Oz) 

Anderson can have a well earned rest. He isn’t particularly suited to the surface anyway averaging 5 runs more per wicket at the Oval than his overall average. Where as Wood most definitely is suited. 

Burns, Hameed, Malan, Root, Pope, Bairstow, Moeen, Woakes, Overton, Wood, Robinson

I think that gives the bowling unit plenty of variation despite all being right handed and keeps plenty of runs in the middle/lower order. 

It’d be really nice to see Malan make some more runs especially if we bat first (so he’s under pressure). With a century and three 50s to his name averaging over 42 in Oz, we could really use a confident No.3 going in to the ashes. 

Crazily good test match going on at the oval. Despite an excellent opening stand (so far) by Burns and Hameed I’d much rather still be in the Indian dressing room. That said, all is not lost for England and with all 4 results still possible i’m gutted I have to be at work tomorrow! 

PS It’s very high at the top at the new Laker balcony! Great view mind. 

Tricky test this one, much like the series really. England, particularly Jimmy, looked absolutely shanked in the field. Jimmy won't want to miss his home ground and the last match of the series, but I don't think that England can afford another few days in the field like that. Wood for Jimmy, I think I leave the rest of the unchanged [other than the dream of Foakes for Bairstow]. 

As for tonight... my head says India to win it after lunch, maybe just before tea. If Jadeja bowls as poorly as he did last night though, and we can get to lunch only one or two down... 

21 hours ago, sirjonnyp said:

I'm jealous, one of my favourite cricket memories is Kent vs India at St Ls in 2011. 

The ground has changed a bit since then, and not all for the good. Still, good to hear from the members forum they have managed to scrape enough pennies together to fix the Frank Woolley stand and re-open it next season 

No Stokes for the T20 World Cup then - have to say I’m a little surprised by that as I was expecting him to make himself available for that. 
Will be huge loss for sure, that will impact our chances of winning the tournament, but hopefully he’s getting the rest he needs and deserves and we see him rejuvenated and ready for The Ashes series - and more importantly that he’s getting his head and body in a better place. 

Edited by st dan

36 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

No chance is there...

Of course not. 

36 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Gutted for you and everyone else.  I am lucky that I am just a train ride away (pay on the day) so my biggest loss is the food I bought this money.

I wonder what they will do about refunds.  These where already swapped from 2020.  Will have to be a refund because they only have the ODI against South Africa next year and you can't move 4 days worth of test tickets into a ODI.

They’ve released a statement that says everyone will automatically be issued a full refund to the card they purchased on. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just about recovered from finals day, it didn't finish until almost 7am here. Foolishly I cracked my first can at 3pm, so it was a rather long session. Both Kent games were absolutely great, didn't think we had enough on the board for the final, but we got there. 

Would be a great end to the season if we can lick these runs off today, I went to bed just as the partnership was getting going, really didn't expect to wake up to a scorecard like that. 

8 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

Mo has retired from test matches. 

I'm incredibly gutted, and feeling even more robbed by the lack of the last India test given that he'd have played.

His interviews are really telling, I do completely agree that he never fulfilled his potential with the bat, and could have been so much more there.... if England hadn't been so flush with all-rounders that he bounced around the order a lot. 

I don't think he'd have done well in Aus, albeit I do think his record on the last Ashes tour was badly marred by that finger injury, and I'm not at all surprised he's decided to call it a day.

I was there for his rescue mission century against Sri Lanka, and I can't help but feel that in many ways that's emblematic of his career. Agonisingly close to something remarkable.

In terms of the long-term future of the test team, it's probably for the best that Leach/Bess/Parkinson get to play more, all of whom I'd also say are better suited to Aus pitches (if the Ashes happen), but I just love watching Mo, always entertaining, and I've loved seeing his joy on the pitch when he contributes.

• 4 weeks later...

Good start to this stage of the world cup so far, although South Africa let themselves down with the bat, Australia's chase really indicated where they are as a T20 side at the moment - nowhere. Haven't watched the ENG WI highlights yet, but always good to see them dominate with ball, rather than bat. 

Training for my club finally starts on Tuesday now we are out of lockdown. Ms P has been kind enough to throw balls at me in the nets every couple of weeks over winter, so I'm quite hopeful that I'll be able to improve last season's average of 2 (it was my first season). I was really counting down the weeks until the pre-season was supposed to start back in September, so it's really good to be heading back now.