Cricket

greeneyes1980

1 hour ago, sirjonnyp said:

>Dat Anderson over tho

Stupidly good. Other thing I'd say is there was only one gifted wicket today (Pant) unlike India's first innings. Everyone else was got out by the ball, and there was still the tactical change to put that fielder there. 

Such a good performance. 

50 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

As is usual, the common man, the ex pros, and the journos were all wrong - and the coach and captain were right to bat on ensure an India win was impossible. 

Well done all. Same again on Saturday please 

I never really had a problem with the batting on. Bess farming the strike from Buttler felt weird, but I had no problem with the steady batting and getting wear on the pitch and rest for the bowlers.

I'd vaguely felt an India draw was mildly favourite until Pujara got out, once he was gone I just couldn't see them batting the entire day out.

Lets keep Rahane averaging 0.5 all series please.

I had no problem with England batting again, Ashwin would have no doubt been bowling on a minefield if we were chasing down a low target no the fifth day afternoon. As Root said post-match, they wanted to get the runs fast but it didn't work out that way.

There was always the risk that the pitch wouldn't have deteriorated enough - both the SCG and Gabba looked like they would help the bowlers around day three but neither did in the end - and if India had got at least a draw here, the momentum they would have carried in to the rest of the series would have been devastating in the England camp. It proves again just how vital the toss can be in some places. 

8 hours ago, sirjonnyp said:

It proves again just how vital the toss can be in some places. 

Excellent point. It happens so often that praise goes overboard or criticism goes overboard after a test match result, when the biggest single factor in the determination of a result was the coin toss. 

So while the toss was absolutely key, England completely took advantage of it. It seemed a pretty tough pitch to score on day 1, even if the ball wasn't misbehaving. India bowled 25(?) no balls to England's 2, Lawrence aside, every player contributed in their main role.

I think if the toss goes the other way and the teams perform like that, it probably ends in a draw, but obviously scoreboard pressure, different mental moments, etc.

In the aftermath of that, I'm now expecting a 2-1 victory either way. Suspect the next test will be a draw, unless the 5 days played under the sun has really baked the other pitch into a dustbowl. Day-night to go either way, and other Ahmedabad probably India's.

Still set up very nicely for an excellent series though! And as much as I'm a fan of Buttler and have been very impressed with his glovework last 3 tests, I'm excited to see Foakes back.

Archer out for 2nd test but not series. Makes it a big call for the choice of attack for this test. Give the inexperienced Stone a lot of responsibility, try and get 3 tests in a row out of Anderson (because surely you want him with the pink ball), play Woakes/Curran on pitches that won't suit them, go with Moeen and expect spinners + Stokes to do most of the work?

It's a tough and interesting choice. I'd be inclined to go with Moeen and get more overs out of Stokes, but... I'm not physically next to the pitch or in the training camp. 

It's been dead and buried since Root got out in the first innings. Sharma and Ashwin just too good. 

But, 1-1 going into the pink ball test, with Anderson and Wood to come back in? Great position. 

Also great to see Moeen snaffle Kohli again, ridiculously good keeping from Foakes, Stone impressing, and Leach improving every innings. 

48 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

It's been dead and buried since Root got out in the first innings. Sharma and Ashwin just too good. 

But, 1-1 going into the pink ball test, with Anderson and Wood to come back in? Great position. 

Also great to see Moeen snaffle Kohli again, ridiculously good keeping from Foakes, Stone impressing, and Leach improving every innings. 

Who do you think drops out for the next test for Anderson and Wood?

1 hour ago, Gerard the Fab said:

Who do you think drops out for the next test for Anderson and Wood?

Moeen and Stone. I think you go 4+1 with the pink ball, because England's pace bowlers are better than their spinners. I expect India to go 3+2. I love Moeen, and think the criticism of him this test is somewhat harsh, but I don't think he's the pick to win that match. I do think he should play in the 4th though.

Wood relies less on the new ball than the other fast bowlers (exc. Stokes), and is very adept at reverse swing. You could drop Broad and keep Stone or play Archer (if fit), but he's barely bowled this match, he shouldn't need a rest, and if you don't give him the pink ball in a day-nighter which should favour lateral movement, why have him here at all? Also an argument for Sam Curran, or Woakes (who I suspect won't play a test this winter).

Crawley/Bairstow coming back is interesting for the top of the order. I wouldn't want Bairstow to replace Burns vs Sharma + Bumrah with a new pink ball, but he is good at playing spin and there's an argument for him in the 4th test, or slightly lower down. I still think Burns/Sibley/Crawley should be our top 3 for Aus and therefore stuck with as long as possible, while Lawrence, certainly if he doesn't get out first thing tomorrow morning, probably deserves another match.