Cricket

greeneyes1980

On 8/1/2020 at 5:42 PM, kaosmark2 said:

I think if the India series goes ahead it'll be in UAE. 

Yes, seems a good probability - not somewhere on my cricketing bucket list. If that’s the case, I may just save the refund to add to the ashes down under fund. Surely COVID will have buggered off by then 😷

1 hour ago, TheGayTent said:

Yes, seems a good probability - not somewhere on my cricketing bucket list. If that’s the case, I may just save the refund to add to the ashes down under fund. Surely COVID will have buggered off by then 😷

Problem I have is my main cricket buds have even less disposable income than I do, a 5-day test with crashing on friend/family floor is about the limit of their budget. I'd love to save up and go to Windies/Sri Lanka/NZ (a bit less fussed about the others), but I'd be going on my own and don't really want to sack my annual festivals off to do it unless I'm going with others I know.

I'd expect you'll be fine for the next Ashes though. Can't see that not having fans.

12 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

I'd love to save up and go to Windies/Sri Lanka/NZ (a bit less fussed about the others), but I'd be going on my own and don't really want to sack my annual festivals off to do it unless I'm going with others I know.

I wouldn’t let that put you off.

I’ve done both ways previously. Yes going on your own is different, but the England fans on tour, and the cricketing locals were so welcoming I didn’t once feel like being on my own was an issue. In fact, the tour I’ve just missed in Sri Lanka I was due to be sharing accommodation with guys I met on previous tours to SL/Windies/SA. You soon meet plenty of like minded souls.

As long as you’re quick with flights, I would say doing a whole test in SL can be cheaper than doing a whole test in England. 

2 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

I wouldn’t let that put you off.

I’ve done both ways previously. Yes going on your own is different, but the England fans on tour, and the cricketing locals were so welcoming I didn’t once feel like being on my own was an issue. In fact, the tour I’ve just missed in Sri Lanka I was due to be sharing accommodation with guys I met on previous tours to SL/Windies/SA. You soon meet plenty of like minded souls.

As long as you’re quick with flights, I would say doing a whole test in SL can be cheaper than doing a whole test in England. 

Fair enough! I'll bear that in mind the next couple of years then.

On 8/2/2020 at 7:16 PM, kaosmark2 said:

The Overton brothers and Gregory have both been taking plenty of wickets at Taunton. It's the most spin-friendly pitch in the country but it's not exactly bad for fast bowlers. It's not like the Oval has been a fast-bowling paradise, highest batting/bowling averages in the country recently.

He featured in most of the games he was fit for. As a proper pacer he doesn't play 4 days on, 2-3 days off.

The England management have already made clear they're looking at his development and want to bring him in. J Overton, Stone, and Mahmood have all been given development contracts with a clear eye to taking at least some of them on the Ashes tour alongside Archer/Wood. I'm just tired of seeing the bigger counties, and Surrey in particular, taking talent.

Oh I'm not doubting that, but if the ECB are primarily looking at Overton as a go-to, tall, express pick for the likes of Australia then they're going to want to see him on pitches more akin to what he'd face out there. 

Agreed on the bigger counties scooping up all the talent, but the system is broken anyway. Controversial I know but I'd much prefer to see a franchise system in place. A premier/elite tier would certainly aid the development of players in preparation for test cricket. As much as I love Darren Stevens and don't doubt his skill as a bowler, what good is facing 65mph dobbers going to do for our developing batsmen? Same goes for a lot of the bowlers you see on the county circuit, I respect the careers they've had but it's not great preparation for the step up to international cricket. 

On 8/3/2020 at 8:37 PM, kingbadger said:

Oh I'm not doubting that, but if the ECB are primarily looking at Overton as a go-to, tall, express pick for the likes of Australia then they're going to want to see him on pitches more akin to what he'd face out there. 

Agreed on the bigger counties scooping up all the talent, but the system is broken anyway. Controversial I know but I'd much prefer to see a franchise system in place. A premier/elite tier would certainly aid the development of players in preparation for test cricket. As much as I love Darren Stevens and don't doubt his skill as a bowler, what good is facing 65mph dobbers going to do for our developing batsmen? Same goes for a lot of the bowlers you see on the county circuit, I respect the careers they've had but it's not great preparation for the step up to international cricket. 

I love God. Properly love him. Undoubtedly I’d break all laws should he ask me to. 

Jokes aside, that was an absolutely cracking test. Nice to see Woakes back in the runs after a lean spell. Buttler's batting form does seem to be coming back, but ouch that keeping. 

I'm a huge fan of Foakes, and I think it'd be criminal not to play him on the subcontinent considering Buttler's keeping record vs spin, but it's pretty impossible to put Foakes back in now, considering his form with the bat after Buttler's heroics today. 

No idea what you do with the bowling attack. Feels quite fitness dependent. Seems like they want to bring Ollie Robinson in, can't see why they'd pull him back into the bubble if he weren't going to play, but that surely means 2 of Anderson/Broad/Woakes dont?

7 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

Jokes aside, that was an absolutely cracking test. Nice to see Woakes back in the runs after a lean spell. Buttler's batting form does seem to be coming back, but ouch that keeping. 

I'm a huge fan of Foakes, and I think it'd be criminal not to play him on the subcontinent considering Buttler's keeping record vs spin, but it's pretty impossible to put Foakes back in now, considering his form with the bat after Buttler's heroics today. 

He’s clearly going nowhere and I don’t think would have done even had he posted a duck - however, I still think he’s in negative in this test. His keeping cost us more runs than he made with the bat. 
That said, you have to doff your cap - batting 4th chasing a high score, with only the bowlers to come, and under significant individual pressure? Well done Jos, well done. Great to see. 

7 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

No idea what you do with the bowling attack. Feels quite fitness dependent. Seems like they want to bring Ollie Robinson in, can't see why they'd pull him back into the bubble if he weren't going to play, but that surely means 2 of Anderson/Broad/Woakes dont?

Another Kent (Margate) boy that would have played / be playing for his county we’re it not for his cricketing stepfather. He has been performing superbly for Sussex - be a very interested spectator if and when he debuts. 

4 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

He’s clearly going nowhere and I don’t think would have done even had he posted a duck - however, I still think he’s in negative in this test. His keeping cost us more runs than he made with the bat. 
That said, you have to doff your cap - batting 4th chasing a high score, with only the bowlers to come, and under significant individual pressure? Well done Jos, well done. Great to see. 

I don't think he was ever going to be dropped mid series. His keeping certainly cost more runs than the average wicket keeper would have made, but as you say, the situation of the final innings made it an incredible knock. 

4 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

Another Kent (Margate) boy that would have played / be playing for his county we’re it not for his cricketing stepfather. He has been performing superbly for Sussex - be a very interested spectator if and when he debuts. 

I've been reading comparisons to Abbas/Philander as a top of off stump metronome bowler. Can't say i think it's the type of bowler England lack, but I'd definitely want to see him. 

Jordan Cox, a 19 year old graduate of the Kent academy, has just become the youngest double centurion in first class cricket. We may have no money for player wages but thankfully we still have a great production line of youth players - and because of that lack of money - they get plenty of opportunities to showcase their talent. 

2 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

Jordan Cox, a 19 year old graduate of the Kent academy, has just become the youngest double centurion in first class cricket. We may have no money for player wages but thankfully we still have a great production line of youth players - and because of that lack of money - they get plenty of opportunities to showcase their talent. 

It's what has brought Essex success, out of our 11 currently dominating Surrey, all bar Harmer are products of the youth system/league cricket. Obviously Harmer has been a major factor in that success, but he's spoken at length as to why he loves the club, the camaraderie of the team as they're all local lads and the fact the youth are pushed through and given genuine opportunities. It's made him want to stay for the long term when I had simply assumed one of the big counties would grab him by offering double what we're paying him. I never really cared too much about following Essex when I was younger, but seeing the team/squad fill out with players I've played with/against is pretty great and has certainly got me invested in the club's fortunes. In previous years those guys wouldn't have had anywhere near the same opportunities as we'd have poured a bucketload of money away on the likes of Mahmood, Panesar etc who had no interest in anything other than their paycheck.

Predicted lineups?

Burns, Sibley, Crawley, Root, Pope, Buttler, Woakes, Bess, Broad, Wood, Robinson?

Looks light on batting to me, but I can't see them ditching Bess or a seamer for another batsmen. I reckon Anderson and Archer are due a rest. Why call up Robinson if you're not going to play him, but feels harsh on Wood/Curran.

On 8/10/2020 at 5:43 PM, kaosmark2 said:

Predicted lineups?

Burns, Sibley, Crawley, Root, Pope, Buttler, Woakes, Bess, Broad, Wood, Robinson?

Looks light on batting to me, but I can't see them ditching Bess or a seamer for another batsmen. I reckon Anderson and Archer are due a rest. Why call up Robinson if you're not going to play him, but feels harsh on Wood/Curran.

Buttler and Woakes are both too high. Though they’ve attempted to nullify that weakness by replacing Archer with Curran. It’s a slightly negative move, but any team in the world is weakened when they lose someone of the calibre of Stokes. 

1 hour ago, TheGayTent said:

Buttler and Woakes are both too high. Though they’ve attempted to nullify that weakness by replacing Archer with Curran. It’s a slightly negative move, but any team in the world is weakened when they lose someone of the calibre of Stokes. 

Yeah I'd agree with that. The loss of a batting all rounder really makes it hard to fill the attack and still have good batting depth. 

Doesn't help if you sent take your slip catches though. 

37 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

Yeah I'd agree with that. The loss of a batting all rounder really makes it hard to fill the attack and still have good batting depth. 

Doesn't help if you sent take your slip catches though. 

Our fielding is becoming a bit of an issue, can't be dropping two relatively straightforward slip catches against top sides.

Worth mentioning that it would have been Stokes instead of Sibley for the first drop had he been playing, and i like to think he would have taken it.