Cricket

greeneyes1980

20 hours ago, Homer said:

Sky Sports are showing highlights of every England match from the last year's world cup all day.

Sri lanka currently (might go for that jog after all!).

I’d rather they showed the 2010/11 Ashes as live. That would see me through well. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, kaosmark2 said:

55 players! That's 5 teams worth! Even if both red and white ball have 2 full separate teams that alternate for successive matches there's 11 spare!

Only just spotted that even with 55 there's no Jamie Porter. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What do people make of the talk of rotation policy? Probably Archer/Wood swapping round and Anderson/Broad?

Looking like

Burns, Sibley, Crawley, Root/Lawrence, Pope, Stokes, Buttler, Moeen, Woakes/Curran, Archer/Wood, Anderson/Broad?

Possibly 2 spinners at OT? But does that mean ditching a batsman or relying on more overs from Stokes?

3 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

Travesty if Denly isn’t in that side, particularly with Root not playing the first test. 

I have 0 problem with Denly being in, but also no problem if omitted. The question for me about Denly is how long he'll be in the position. If the selectors have decided he's good enough to be it number 3 for the tours of Aus and India fair enough, keep him until then. Otherwise I'd rather see someone else given time to bed in. 

3 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

I’m not convinced Mo will play, and in many ways I don’t think he should. Would be extremely harsh on Bess - averaged under 26 in SA and went for no runs. He’s also looked in better nick than Moeen and Leach in this warm up game. 

I love Moeen, but you're probably right in comparison to Bess there. But if not now, when? 

I have 0 problem with Denly being in, but also no problem if omitted. The question for me about Denly is how long he'll be in the position. If the selectors have decided he's good enough to be it number 3 for the tours of Aus and India fair enough, keep him until then. Otherwise I'd rather see someone else given time to bed in. 

Do you need/want to bed anyone else in? 

Burns, Sibley, Crawley, and Pope have only 30 tests between them. 

I would rest, rotate, drop(!) Crawley before I thought about doing likewise to Denly. 

I love Moeen, but you're probably right in comparison to Bess there. But if not now, when? 

I don’t know. Never potentially? Bess has the shirt and his performances in SA do not warrant dropping him. 

If you were to drop Bess, then I would imagine for the Windies at least, with their almost non-existent Left handed batting line up, then Leach must enter your thinking. 

If the Sri Lanka tour gets rearranged and/or the India tour goes ahead, and two spinners are guaranteed to play - Mo could potentially get back in then? 

Whether by form or fitness, Moeen not getting an opportunity pretty soon is hard to imagine. 

At least, finally, we find out in a week! 

4 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

Do you need/want to bed anyone else in? 

Burns, Sibley, Crawley, and Pope have only 30 tests between them. 

I would rest, rotate, drop(!) Crawley before I thought about doing likewise to Denly. 

If Denly is being earmarked as good enough, then no, I'd rather keep giving him confidence and opportunities. I just worry that there's been a decision made that he's a stopgap and not going to play in 2021, in which case I'd rather the caps went to someone they see playing in a year's time.

Denly needs to go. He's fulfilled his purpose as a stop gap, but given they seem adamant on getting all 3 openers in (Burns/Sibley/Crawley) then Lawrence has to bat 4. He's the future of the middle order alongside Pope and bats 4 for Essex so slots in perfectly. Denly just doesn't seem to have it in him to push beyond where he is now, picking him is just wasting an opportunity for the likes of Lawrence etc to gain experience. Even at his best Denly looks like he's treading water at test level, with Burns etc they've shown continuous improvement.

Bess needs to start for me as well, he's the man in possession and looked the best out of the 3 mentioned spinners in the warm up game. Broad looked really out of sorts, wouldn't be surprised to see us go with Woakes and Anderson with Archer/Wood rotated.

On 5/29/2020 at 2:41 PM, kaosmark2 said:

Only just spotted that even with 55 there's no Jamie Porter. 

This is the biggest tragedy. Not sure why England are happy to persist with tall medium pacers yet continually ignore Porter. His height of delivery brings it's own problems, and he uses the crease and angles really well. I think he'd be a decent shout bowling on the subcontinent, just look at the success Mohammed Abbas has had just from bowling accurately with a hint of movement.

4 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Denly needs to go. He's fulfilled his purpose as a stop gap, but given they seem adamant on getting all 3 openers in (Burns/Sibley/Crawley) then Lawrence has to bat 4. He's the future of the middle order alongside Pope and bats 4 for Essex so slots in perfectly. Denly just doesn't seem to have it in him to push beyond where he is now, picking him is just wasting an opportunity for the likes of Lawrence etc to gain experience. Even at his best Denly looks like he's treading water at test level, with Burns etc they've shown continuous improvement.

Bess needs to start for me as well, he's the man in possession and looked the best out of the 3 mentioned spinners in the warm up game. Broad looked really out of sorts, wouldn't be surprised to see us go with Woakes and Anderson with Archer/Wood rotated.

Denly could have 4 more years as a Test batsman (assessed off age). If they think he's got 2+ then I'm fine with him remaining in the team, but if they're viewing him as a stopgap, then there's little point staying.

Pope has a Test century, Lawrence hasn't debuted yet. While I agree he's a prospect, I don't think you can definitively say he's the future yet.

I like Bess, I completely believe he's got a test future, but I also think Moeen's 5 centuries, numerous 5-fers and hat-trick should count for something. Similarly, I don't think you can judge Broad off a warm-up game in comparison to his history. My question with Broad is more whether there's room for both him and Anderson in the same team if you're looking at rotating Anderson to preserve longevity and want to get in a serious pacer or two.