Cricket

greeneyes1980

55 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Bairstow averages less than 30 since the beginning of 2017 (26 tests). 

Colour me unsurprised.

54 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Crawley...but I might be biased...

Lol. I haven't seen any of him to comment on his technique, but I can't say that his numbers really demand him being called up in the same way as Burns' did last year.

3 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

Lol. I haven't seen any of him to comment on his technique, but I can't say that his numbers really demand him being called up in the same way as Burns' did last year.

You’ve answered your own argument there haven’t you? 

There were plenty who by normal selection methods would have been in front of Strauss in the queue when he was picked....but that worked out ok?

That said...I’m not advocating Crawley seriously - though the fact he’s even in discussions shows how few options we have left 

Lots of talk about Moeen's place, but if he's batting at 8 or 9 then I can't say I'm concerned. It's one bad test with the ball after being an excellent spinner over the past 18 months. 

Even with his century at no 3, Bairstow has been awful with the bat  in tests for 18 months. I can't see any justification for him playing over Foakes apart from nostalgia for his 2016 form. 

I'm not sure how many more chances to give Denly. As others have said, he never really should have been called up on the first place. I'd take Malan back after his county form and century down under, particularly if the open batting spot is at 4.

Concerning thing is how many players are actually nailed on starters for the test side at present? Taking in form and age/injuries I think you’re looking at Root and Stokes only, and probably Woakes and Broad. 

There is no settled side to bring in any new guys to help them feel their way in. And surely they can’t continue to play both Bairstow and Butler as neither are good enough test batsmen to warrant a place for both. Pick one and have him as your keeper/batsman and add an extra high order batsman - although the jury is out as to who that would even be! 

On 8/5/2019 at 7:49 PM, st dan said:

Concerning thing is how many players are actually nailed on starters for the test side at present? Taking in form and age/injuries I think you’re looking at Root and Stokes only, and probably Woakes and Broad. 

There is no settled side to bring in any new guys to help them feel their way in. And surely they can’t continue to play both Bairstow and Butler as neither are good enough test batsmen to warrant a place for both. Pick one and have him as your keeper/batsman and add an extra high order batsman - although the jury is out as to who that would even be! 

I'd have Foakes as keeper. He's the best with the gloves and has the highest test average by far. Not sure what the issue is!

10 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

What did you make of it? I think it’s England worst test ground by quite a long way. 

As a ground I think it needs a lot of work doing to it.  Trent Bridge is now my usual ground and is much better.  Like Trent Bridge the location is good in terms of being able to quickly get to pubs and shops when the weather isnt great.  I found the atmosphere a bit flat, but hard to judge from 1 match.

30 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

As a ground I think it needs a lot of work doing to it.

The trouble is, they have done a lot of work to it in recent years and it’s still poor. There’s not a lot left they can do, given the restrictions they have on room. 

30 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I found the atmosphere a bit flat, but hard to judge from 1 match.

Yes, truncated days do not usually help the atmosphere 

Well there's players like Malan and Ballance who have centuries but also a fairly obvious looking weakness. Sibley is doing pretty well this season but his general record isn't great. 

It looks like they're going to put Pope in, but I wouldn't bat him in the top 4,at least not yet.