Cricket

greeneyes1980

On 6/21/2019 at 2:04 PM, kaosmark2 said:

After the world Cup, England need to do everything they can to keep Wood on form for the Ashes. He's been absolutely immense. 

Lot of competition for the test team. Anderson, Broad, Woakes, Curren and Archer already fighting for three spots.

2 hours ago, Homer said:

Lot of competition for the test team. Anderson, Broad, Woakes, Curren and Archer already fighting for three spots.

I think Wood has bowled better than Archer this tournament, particularly considering Archer's been given the new ball. He's also much more proven with the red ball, Archer hasn't played that many first class games.

Personally, I'd leave out Broad and go with an Anderson/Wood/Stokes/Moeen + 1 depending on surface attack, but that's not going to happen.

Huge credit to England winning those 2 games to reach the semis, will be full of confidence going into the next match.

I wonder if they need to think again about how to separate teams tied on points. There seems something wrong about a team being incentivised to lose less badly then win, or the fact Pakistan can only qualify (I know the gap is unrealistic, but could have been less) if they bat first in the final game.

Yep it needs to be done on head to head. In a format where everyone plays everyone there will always be (disregarding rained off games) a result between two teams level on points. That result is the best measure of who is more deserving.  

Pakistan beat NZ when playing on the same pitch on the same day. Nz have beaten Pakistan on NRR thanks to a huge number of factors (where they both played, the conditions at each game, no results etc etc)

But head to head can mean that a team who narrowly wins 5 games and gets thumped in 4 qualifies over a team who had thumping victories in 5 and narrowly loses 4. It often disregards overall tournament performance.

It's also really bad with a 3-way tie in points, and is no better at handling no result games. 

I'd probably favour a modified version of NRR based upon success comparative to DLS score at the conclusion of the game, that way it'll factor in how close a game was in terms of wickets and balls remaining, as well as runs scored. 

Great drama and pleased England won. But why can't they just keep doing super overs until a proper winner has been decided. 

Feels a bit weird to me that after a full day, following a month long tournament a champion is chosen on a technicality that to me shouldn't be important in cricket. 'Doesn't matter how runs are scored' is a saying for a reason - but apparently not anymore.