Cricket

greeneyes1980

Yeah, I'm following on the beeb, and that's an excellent recovery. I still fancy windies to knock it off (gayle vs trent bridge short boundaries?), but that's a very competitive total and not an easy chase. 

I'm looking forward to going tomorrow! 

17 minutes ago, Homer said:

Commiserations! Did you travel?

How's everyone feeling re England tomorrow?

Thankfully not. I live in Bristol, so we just chilled round my flat with TMS on until they officially called it off.

It's really annoying though. I had tickets for 3 games, sold the one for last Saturday because of a clash, couldn't get Tuesday off work, and rained off today. No live cricket for me this summer (didn't want to pay Lords/Ashes premium for Tests).

I still fancy England's chances. The opening bowling was a bit off vs Pakistan, but I fancy Curran and Plunkett to do well vs Bangladesh on a damp swinging Cardiff pitch. Talk on lots of media about Rashid + Archer being left out to bring them in, which actually I think both gives a handy rest for Archer and the best line-up for taking 10 wickets tomorrow.

2 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

Thankfully not. I live in Bristol, so we just chilled round my flat with TMS on until they officially called it off.

It's really annoying though. I had tickets for 3 games, sold the one for last Saturday because of a clash, couldn't get Tuesday off work, and rained off today. No live cricket for me this summer (didn't want to pay Lords/Ashes premium for Tests).

I still fancy England's chances. The opening bowling was a bit off vs Pakistan, but I fancy Curran and Plunkett to do well vs Bangladesh on a damp swinging Cardiff pitch. Talk on lots of media about Rashid + Archer being left out to bring them in, which actually I think both gives a handy rest for Archer and the best line-up for taking 10 wickets tomorrow.

I feel bad now moaning about Australia winning after nearly 100 overs in fairly decent weather. Thinking about it I don't think I have ever seen Australia lose a limited overs match live, including the misfortune of watching them purposely score slow in winning against West Indies in WC 99.

14 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I feel bad now moaning about Australia winning after nearly 100 overs in fairly decent weather. Thinking about it I don't think I have ever seen Australia lose a limited overs match live, including the misfortune of watching them purposely score slow in winning against West Indies in WC 99.

Don't go see Australia again please :P

I'm surprised by England's changes today. Not Plunkett coming in, that was a given, but Ali left out over Rashid, and no Curran. I would have thought after the rain yesterday and with the wind today, Curran's swing and death bowling would have been better than having both the high-pace bowlers in.

On 6/8/2019 at 10:16 AM, kaosmark2 said:

I'm surprised by England's changes today. Not Plunkett coming in, that was a given, but Ali left out over Rashid, and no Curran. I would have thought after the rain yesterday and with the wind today, Curran's swing and death bowling would have been better than having both the high-pace bowlers in.

I like Curran - him and his brother are well up for the fight. He's like a not shit Jade Dernbach. He'll be a regular soon, once Plunkett retires and Wood falls apart again.

22 minutes ago, Homer said:

I like Curran - him and his brother are well up for the fight. He's like a not shit Jade Dernbach. He'll be a regular soon, once Plunkett retires and Wood falls apart again.

A not-shit Jade Dernbach is pretty much my assessment. I don't think he'll be a Test bowler, but he's very handy in ODIs.

His brother swings it more, and the left-hand angle helps, but outside English conditions I don't think his bowling is particularly worthy.

1 hour ago, kaosmark2 said:

A not-shit Jade Dernbach is pretty much my assessment. I don't think he'll be a Test bowler, but he's very handy in ODIs.

His brother swings it more, and the left-hand angle helps, but outside English conditions I don't think his bowling is particularly worthy.

Could well get edged out by Joffra Archer come the Ashes (Woakes may get ahead of him too).

I really think the greatest sporting contest there is is India v Pakistan in a World Cup match being played in England. Wondrous stuff. Gives me faith in humanity, so many passionate people, great atmosphere despite how important the rivalry is is to both countries. Seen many a match featuring India or Pakistan in the UK over the years (but never seen then play each other) and their supporters are simply the best. Cant think of anything better in sport

7 hours ago, mjsell said:

If England do end up winning this world cup, Morgan has to go down as one of if not the greatest one day 'English' players - he really is an absolute class apart. 

Absolutely. I remember when he talked about dropping himself for the good of the team! 

6 minutes ago, st dan said:

Read that Morgan in 2 more sixes in yesterdays innings alone than Nasser managed in 88 ODIs!

Just goes to show how far the one day game has progressed (and how dull Nasser was too I guess!)

Another nice stat is that England only managed 18 in the entire 2015 World Cup. Morgan was 1 short of that in 1 innings himself.