Cricket

greeneyes1980

Suspect you’re probably right. Denly will know Smith & Farbrace far better than he’ll know Root, so getting into the team may prove far more difficult than getting into the squad. 

Getting my jabs next week for Sri Lanka - doubt I’ll see a Kent player in the side but at least in watching a test at Galle I’ll have taken one off the bucket list !

Over recent years there's been lots of players getting into the squad and not getting opportunities. Then because they didn't play they get ditched for the next squad. Unless they play for Yorkshire of course... 

Very jealous of the Sri Lanka trip. Enjoy! 

• 1 month later...

The amount of preparation for this test series has been horrendous. A rained out ODI series for the white-ball players, and 2 day warm-ups back to back.

I wonder if Leach has done enough in the small chance he was given to get into the side. Denly certainly hasn't, and the lack of overs or batting time for Woakes suggests they're not considering him (thankfully IMO).

I'm hoping the 11 looks like this:

Burns, whoever, Moeen, Root, Stokes, Buttler, Foakes (wk), Rashid, Stone, Leach, Anderson

I suspect it'll end up being:

Burns, Jennings, Moeen, Root, Bairstow/Pope, Stokes, Buttler (wk), Curran, Rashid, Broad, Anderson

As good a job as Curran did in home conditions, he's still pretty damn slow, and unless the ball is properly swinging, I can't see the left-arm angle adding enough of a threat compared to Stone's pace or having an extra spinner. I also see them letting Bairstow declare himself fit, and then getting bowled for under 10, again. While he's improved as a keeper and had a great time batting in '16 and '17, when he's been half-fit he's been bad as a batsman as well as not keeping, and done nothing to warrant a place. I'm fed up of seeing half-fit all-rounders being picked as batsman and not put in the top 5.

On the plus side, if the weather holds, it should be a close series, although hopefully Herath retiring after 1 test won't be the deciding factor.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TheGayTent said:

Will update further another time but currently in hospital in UK (got back yesterday) with cellulitis - contracted through infected bite I got in Hikkaduwa. 

Despite that - fucking fantastic. 

Ouch. Good luck recovering from that. 

Glad it was good though. 

• 2 months later...
45 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

The reports of Jennings getting dropped I take it? 

Sort of. 

The fact that it’s Denly who will be replacing him hopefully, is the bigger part of it. 

Added to the fact I’m going to the St Lucia test - surely even if Denly fails in Antigua he’ll get another shot in the last test?

19 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Sort of. 

The fact that it’s Denly who will be replacing him hopefully, is the bigger part of it. 

Added to the fact I’m going to the St Lucia test - surely even if Denly fails in Antigua he’ll get another shot in the last test?

Fair enough.

And yeah, I can't see a batsman being given only one. Hope you enjoy!

You never did ever end up giving the update on your time in Galle, how was it? Infection aside.

1 hour ago, kaosmark2 said:

Fair enough.

And yeah, I can't see a batsman being given only one. Hope you enjoy!

You never did ever end up giving the update on your time in Galle, how was it? Infection aside.

Ah yes, the pain on the connecting flight back from Qatar was almost unbearable - but well worth it for the trip as a whole. Only downside was not getting to explore the country as much as I’d like. 

Getting the train from Hikkaduwa to Galle was an experience in itself - and at around 12p return not bad price wise either. 

Walked around the whole of the fort - which is a good distance - on the first day, and the part overlooking the ground showed the pitch covered in tarps held down by tyres - water everywhere. Thought there was no chance of play the next day so was very surprised to turn up and find play was to start on time. 

Had prime seats for all five days but only ever used them to get a bit of shade when it got very warm in the early afternoon. 

Barmy’s were as friendly as you’d imagine and the locals even friendlier. Food was cheap and very tasty. Met Murali and a whole host of ex Eng cricketers - Gladstone Small the least famous but friendliest and was quite happy sharing drinks and telling tales. 

Highlight of the trip was definitely visiting the foundation of goodness, hearing about the tsunami, the effect it had, and the work they’ve done since. Played a game of cricket against an under 15 side....they thrashed us, but I managed to get 7 not out. Least said about my bowling the better...!

Would love to go back. Leave for St Lucia on Thursday, been a long time since I’ve seen a Spitfire in an England test shirt 

Edited by TheGayTent
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Jennings for Foakes isn’t getting much support in the bars. About the only positive offered is it means no Bairstow at 3...

I don't like it either. I doubt if anyone else was sulking about their role in the side like that they'd get such favourable treatment either. Being the captain's bestie trumps keeping' skill and teamwork.

Bairstow's been bowled in 1/3 of his innings over the last year. If he's not a top order bat (which he isn't), and he's not our best keeper (which he isn't), then he needs to work and prove his place in the side. 

I reckon Bairstow will concede as many extras in the 3 innings he keeps as Foakes did in 9. And miss a sitter. I'm willing to bet the differential in keeping far outweighs any differential in runs.

Edited by kaosmark2

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So... World Cup squad.

I'm glad Dawson was picked over Denly. He's clearly the better spinner, and if Denly is going to play in the Ashes (still unsure), he needs county cricket time first, not carrying the drinks in the WC.

I'm very glad Archer is in off what I've seen of him in the ODIs so far. He's looked really impressive. That said, I would probably have left out Plunkett instead of Willey, with Plunkett's pace being down lately and him not offering the alternate angle in the same way. Though it would have been slightly tough on any of Curran/Plunkett/Willey to be left out.

• 2 weeks later...

Usually stick a score on Pakistan to win any limited overs comp as you get a good price. Have stuck in on Windies to nake the final at 10/1 this time. Looks a good bet this morning.

They might struggle against the better teams with no spinner but they have a serious amount of pace.

England should win this though, complete team.

On 5/21/2019 at 8:09 PM, kaosmark2 said:

So... World Cup squad.

I'm glad Dawson was picked over Denly. He's clearly the better spinner, and if Denly is going to play in the Ashes (still unsure), he needs county cricket time first, not carrying the drinks in the WC.

I'm very glad Archer is in off what I've seen of him in the ODIs so far. He's looked really impressive. That said, I would probably have left out Plunkett instead of Willey, with Plunkett's pace being down lately and him not offering the alternate angle in the same way. Though it would have been slightly tough on any of Curran/Plunkett/Willey to be left out.

Plunkett did well the other day. Good to see the Saffers struggling against Bangladesh here.