Cricket

greeneyes1980

On 6/17/2018 at 7:10 PM, TheGayTent said:

Off to Lords B)

Did you go personally? I was cheering Kent, as I don't like Hampshire (mainly because the ECB decided to save them by relegating Durham), but from listening on the radio whenever there wasn't football it seemed like the better team won.

1 hour ago, kaosmark2 said:

Did you go personally?

Yes.

I was cheering Kent, as I don't like Hampshire (mainly because the ECB decided to save them by relegating Durham), but from listening on the radio whenever there wasn't football it seemed like the better team won.

We choked as always. 8th Lords defeat in a row. 

• 2 weeks later...

The dates for next years ashes have been confirmed. 

Will probably do 2 days at edgbaston and 2 at the oval. Was hoping to do old Trafford but don’t like doing back to back tests really. 

Too late in the summer for my liking but fingers crossed the weather in September isn’t too bad 

Yup. I've entered the ballot for Edgbaston, Headingley and OT. Going to see what prices are like and work out with my mate which we'll go to. I want to do Edgbaston really but it depends a bit on prices and what accommodation I can sort. 

20 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

Yup. I've entered the ballot for Edgbaston, Headingley and OT. Going to see what prices are like and work out with my mate which we'll go to. I want to do Edgbaston really but it depends a bit on prices and what accommodation I can sort. 

Just use booking.com and book hotels now. Get them cheap, no upfront payment, and cancel any or all you eventually don’t need for free. 

From memory the northern grounds were about £60-70 for the ashes last time. Oval was around £90 I think.  

3 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Just use booking.com and book hotels now. Get them cheap, no upfront payment, and cancel any or all you eventually don’t need for free. 

From memory the northern grounds were about £60-70 for the ashes last time. Oval was around £90 I think.  

I don't have the cash on hand to do that unfortunately. It's more about looking at staying with friends and family anyway.

I'm appalled by the decision to recall Rashid after he turned his back on red ball cricket. Butler hadn't had the opportunity to play county cricket, Rashid rejected it. There's a big difference.

I understand the question marks over overs bowled and fitness for Leach and Bess, but to me that's a lesser concern than saying that you can turn your back on 4-day cricket and still get called up for the Test squad.

Glad Porter's got a call-up though instead of a half-fit Woakes. Hope he plays over Sam Curran if we play 4 seamers.

I'm appalled by the decision to recall Rashid after he turned his back on red ball cricket. Butler hadn't had the opportunity to play county cricket, Rashid rejected it. There's a big difference.

Fuck up all round. Should never have been dropped after the India series 18 months ago. Shouldn’t be recalled now. 

That said, he’s a far superior bowler to either Leach or Bess. 

40 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Fuck up all round. Should never have been dropped after the India series 18 months ago. Shouldn’t be recalled now. 

That said, he’s a far superior bowler to either Leach or Bess. 

Completely agree about how much of a fuck up it's been. Also think that if India get on top of him in this test series, or he gets spanked in Sri Lanka this winter, it'll affect his white ball form for the world cup.

He's definitely a far better bowler than Bess. I like Leach, I know Taunton is a spinner's paradise but Moeen is pretty damn good in English conditions, what we lack is a spinner who can bowl a team out on spinning pitches easily, and I wonder if Leach might be able to be that bowler. There's more mystery to Rashid, but also a bad ball most overs.

On a different note, I personally don't feel Stokes should have been called up for the 1st Test, considering he's not been fully fit for a while, and he'll be missing the second for his court appearance. Whoever of Porter/Moeen/Rashid misses out for this 1st Test really should be playing their next county game.

Gotta say, when Sam Curran was bowling 79 mph dobblers at Headingley, I didn't think he'd ever do anything. Upped his pace to 83 and swung it well yesterday.

Batting nicely atm as well. 150 gives us something to bowl at but India still very much in the driving seat.

Those drops are so costly. I suspect they'll cost Malan his place as much as the lack of runs since Perth. I rate his temperament and ability against pace, but he struggles so much against the swinging ball in English conditions.

Rory Burns? Joe Clarke? Ollie Pope? If it's an opener then you stick them at 3 and move Root down, otherwise they come in at 4.

I'm also concerned than Root was scared to bowl Rashid at the tail + Kohli yesterday. If he's not got the confidence to bowl him then, why pick him?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2018 at 12:35 PM, kaosmark2 said:

@TheGayTent

I assume you've watched a lot of Denly (and are also happy about promotion this season!), is he test quality? Is his bowling worth a damn?

Yes, yes, unlikely, no...

...to expand, yes I’ve seen plenty of Denly both before and after his spell at Middlesex. He was always a talent and as a youngster had 100% confidence in his own ability - which wasn’t always a good thing. Took him a long time to mature and was one in his youth who believed his own hype. 

He has done well since returning but that is at 2nd division level - suspect he’ll get found out in the 1st division let alone test level. His bowling in one day cricket, and specifically T20, has been exceptional given until 2 years ago he didn’t bowl at all. However, am pretty confident he’d be diabolical bowling in a test match. Would love to be proved wrong mind. 

Lastly, was at the oval for Cook’s 70 odd in the first innings - what a player. I will definitely we going to our games against Essex next season and won’t even mind if he scores a century - an absolute privilege to have watched him bat on many an occasion. Cheers chef 

4 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

Yes, yes, unlikely, no...

...to expand, yes I’ve seen plenty of Denly both before and after his spell at Middlesex. He was always a talent and as a youngster had 100% confidence in his own ability - which wasn’t always a good thing. Took him a long time to mature and was one in his youth who believed his own hype. 

He has done well since returning but that is at 2nd division level - suspect he’ll get found out in the 1st division let alone test level. His bowling in one day cricket, and specifically T20, has been exceptional given until 2 years ago he didn’t bowl at all. However, am pretty confident he’d be diabolical bowling in a test match. Would love to be proved wrong mind. 

Lastly, was at the oval for Cook’s 70 odd in the first innings - what a player. I will definitely we going to our games against Essex next season and won’t even mind if he scores a century - an absolute privilege to have watched him bat on many an occasion. Cheers chef 

Interesting judgement on Denly. Dunno if we'll see how accurate it proves to be, at least on the Test side. I've got a nasty suspicion that Root's team selection will be sticking to the same team as played this summer except Burns in for Cook, whereas I feel Jennings shouldn't be there, and we should be using Olly Stone and possibly a 3rd spinner instead of a quartet of medium-fast bowlers.

That Oval trip must have been a bit special. Absolute legend of a player.