Cricket

greeneyes1980

34 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

If he had got away with it, do you think he would have lost any sleep? He would have probably felt very smug.

You're right of course. He wouldnt have owned up or felt remorse if he'd gotten away with it. But he didnt get away with it.

He cracked up specifically when he talked about all the people he'd let down - especially his Mum and Dad. I'm a Dad with a son nearly that age - maybe thats what resonated with me. Maybe it was all for the cameras - I didnt think so.

As Gay Tent says above - he's got a good few years in him at top level if he wants them yet.

Smith fucked up, he's got punished for it. He'll be back in the team once his suspension ends, and assuming he's fine taking the abuse that'll come from this incident, he'll score plenty of runs for Australia still.

Wonder whether Warner will ever play for Aus again. I hope not, but I dunno how much of that is my disdain for him, and how much is dislike of pressuring a youngster to cheat for him.

On a different note, Woakes and Ali dropped. I like both of them as cricketers, but fuck me they're bad in away Tests. Certainly at taking wickets. I'm really hoping Leach gets a chance, but regardless of what the line-up ends up being, that's a long-ass tail with both of them dropped.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Interesting Test squad. Slightly surprised that Stoneman keeps his place particularly with his awful Championship form, but it's not like there's an outstanding alternative available.

I've got possibly too high hopes for Butler's return to Test cricket, but I like the selection. It's not like he ever plays for Lancashire to prove himself with a red ball any more, so this form is the best time there's been in ages.

Not sure who'll bat 3. Malan? Root? Bairstow? I've seen Malan listed at 3 in a couple of articles but I haven't seen it actually confirmed.

Slightly disappointed at Woakes' retention, while his bowling has been excellent in England in recent years, not playing in the IPL could have opened up that slot elsewhere, as Ali's situation and Leach's injury has for Bess. That said, I'm not sure Ball/Overton/Curran/Porter offer much different themselves. Wood and Stone look more likely to provide that edge of pace.

• 2 weeks later...

Cook about the only positive from that day. Bad decision at the toss, but the batting was definitely worse.

Almost feels like it was a decision to bat based on hoping it'll spin in the last innings and wanting to give Bess the best chance. Guess we'll see how it turns out.

59 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

Heading off to Yorkshire to watch the next Test, 5 days of it minus the evening session on Saturday (cousin's stag do). Looking forward to it and hoping England make a contest of it.

Other than being the worst ground in the country I’m quite jealous. Enjoy it 

Stokes not being fit won’t help...

Edited by TheGayTent

That was a lot of fun, although a shame it only lasted 3 days. Lots of positive notes, mainly Jennings and Buttler.

Didn't rate Curran's bowling at all, dire on the first day, nothingness on the 3rd. Batting was fine but Bess' was better. I'd like to see how Bess does on a properly spinning pitch, but considering his record at Taunton and the positive signs about his attitude, I'd say good signs.

On my way to the Grange in Edinburgh to watch Scotland v. England.

It's very grey and overcast. I'm a bit worried if Scotland bat first, I could be home for a late lunch!

2 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

Couple of my mates went. I know the boy Haggo who was umpiring. Did you see Charlie Watts ? Was on good form at Murrayfield last night :-)

Didn't see any Stones. Thought Mick might have been there. Fantastic day in the sun with a truly thrilling ending.

The game seems like it would have been a lot of fun. Shows how ridiculous it was to cut the ODI world cup to 10 nations.

Also not impressed that we've got a stupid money-grabbing ODI series vs Aus instead of another test or two vs Pakistan.

1 hour ago, kaosmark2 said:

The game seems like it would have been a lot of fun. Shows how ridiculous it was to cut the ODI world cup to 10 nations.

Also not impressed that we've got a stupid money-grabbing ODI series vs Aus instead of another test or two vs Pakistan.

Wholeheartedly agree. Test series should be 3 matches or 5 matches.

How good might a deciding 3rd test against Pakistan have been?

Today was a strange experience for me because I normally support England at cricket. (Not sure why given the anti-English racism I'm addicted with according to Neil) so it was a little odd to be jumping up & down celebrating their defeat!

I do hope you/we beat the Aussies though.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kaosmark2 said:

I agree India having 5 in 6/7 test summers is ridiculous, but so is an odi series against the aus b team. 

Would usually agree but with the World Cup coming up in home conditions at the same time of year in 12 months, I can see the logic. 

17 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Second XI or not, it’s always nice to see England smashing the convict bowling attack all round the park

With Butler not performing and Stokes injured. England ODI side really is a force, although a bit too reliant on Woakes in the bowling attack.