Cricket

greeneyes1980

It's hard to see Hales not being on the winter tour now. From what I've seen of both, Lyth looks more like a test opener to me, but it's hard to argue with their contrasting records over the last 6 months.

I can see Hales being an Alec Stewart type opener - he used to frustrate the hell out of me but you couldn't really argue with his record.

I can see Hales being an Alec Stewart type opener - he used to frustrate the hell out of me but you couldn't really argue with his record.

He's before my time really, I remember him playing, but wasn't particularly following or focused on cricket until Nasser. I still feel both Compton and Robson were harshly treated, they got centuries and averaged over 30. Not stunning records but surely enough to earn more than half a year in a problem position.

He's before my time really, I remember him playing, but wasn't particularly following or focused on cricket until Nasser. I still feel both Compton and Robson were harshly treated, they got centuries and averaged over 30. Not stunning records but surely enough to earn more than half a year in a problem position.

Faces didn't fit. Part of me thinks there's merit in decisions made on things like that and part of me thinks the captain isn't doing his job. It's a tough one that you can't really argue with as we're without the facts usually.

With regard to Stewart, he'd often look great and get a quick fire 40 but then get out and rarely kicked on. Also, although he'd get reasonable scores he'd do it so quickly he wouldn't actually see off the new ball and expose the No. 3 to some difficult situations.

There again, you could argue the balance was good what with Atherton being at the other end.

Faces didn't fit. Part of me thinks there's merit in decisions made on things like that and part of me thinks the captain isn't doing his job. It's a tough one that you can't really argue with as we're without the facts usually.

True, I'm just going off what I see, and the records I've seen.

With regard to Stewart, he'd often look great and get a quick fire 40 but then get out and rarely kicked on. Also, although he'd get reasonable scores he'd do it so quickly he wouldn't actually see off the new ball and expose the No. 3 to some difficult situations.

There again, you could argue the balance was good what with Atherton being at the other end.

That's one of the things I like about Lyth, he does actually see off the new ball. But then, he's not scoring enough by any means.

I feel if we brought in Hales then bringing Ballance back would give a nice flow to the team. Cook+Hales, Ballance to stabilise, then the middle order. I like the idea of an aggressive opener and then a steady grinder at 3. That said, this is partially because I feel Bell is a 4/5 naturally rather than a 3.

as all they currently do is watch for height on lbw decisions which the review system deals with these days.

That's all they do...?!

Probably some massive flaw I'm overlooking but seems sound to me.

Maybe!

The square leg ump is also there to help indicate wides to the ump at the non strikers end as well as other height issues like beam balls and bouncers in an over.

Then you're missing the obvious stuff such as run outs at the strikers end and stumping decisions.

Plus the less obvious things like judging short runs at the strikers end.

In short, I don't think it's an idea that's got legs.

Umpires not looking down for that front foot is disgraceful.. Pure laziness, if sq.leg moved up, they would THEN only have one job..

The main objectives for an umpire

1). Check no balls

2). Check wides

3). Check lbw's**

4). Count to six

Has it honestly be one too difficult to now consider no.1? No..

**based on the ideal of a batsmen walking when they've nicked it

And that is the main point that I think everyone will agree with.

I disagree. If you have a fast bowler bowling how can you possibly watch where the front foot is falling & then look up in time to adjudicate on an LBW decision. It's just not practical to judge where the ball has pitched, whether it will hit the stumps & whether the batsman has go ta touch.

I disagree. If you have a fast bowler bowling how can you possibly watch where the front foot is falling & then look up in time to adjudicate on an LBW decision. It's just not practical to judge where the ball has pitched, whether it will hit the stumps & whether the batsman has go ta touch.

Are you on a wind up?

In the event of this being a serious post.....

They'd do it in the same way they always have done, by moving the eyes up.. It's fairly easy as anyone who's umpired can verify

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone doing any home tests in 2016?

Was hoping to do Headingley but the dates aren't great really. Pity really as the tickets are dirt cheap (£30). Might be forced to look at Old Trafford or Edgbaston again.

I'm hoping to. Headingley is likely for me, but might do something else as well. Got in touch with my cricket watching mate last night so see what his thoughts are.

• 3 weeks later...