Cricket

greeneyes1980

Bairstow played 14 matches and averaged 27 without a century to his name. He deserves a recall?

Lyth has played 4 matches and averages 25 with a century to his name. He's had his chance and deserves dropping?

Statistics are all well and good but they don't tell the whole story. The thing you've really got to consider here is the manner of the defeat yesterday. The selectors will want to show strength in decisions following that drumming, unfortunately in this world - change is seen as strength, not patience. Lyth's head is very firmly on the blocks now as he is the easiest target.

Lyth is an opener. Bairstow is a middle order stroke player. They're not like for like comparisons. If you stuck Bairstow at the top of a fragile England batting lineup against Mitchells Johnson and Starc with a new ball I expect he'd look terrible.

Lyth has looked bad this series, but so has Bell, so has Buttler, so has Jimmy. NZ's bowlers aren't mugs even if they aren't as good SA or Aus and Lyth got an excellent century against them. He deserves more time to prove his ability.

I agree with keeping Lyth. 4 tests isn't enough of a chance.

I'm more neutral on both Bell and Ballance. They're talented players and if dropped I'm sure they'll force their way back in in the future. Their sketchy form also dates back an extra series. At the same time, they're talented players and will get back into form at some point.

I'm a fan of James Taylor, and I think Bairstow's earned another chance, so happy for either to be brought in, but I'm worried about shifting people up to 3. Root averages over 70 at 5, it feels obscene to move him when he's been so successful there. Bell's never succeeded at 3 in the past, under Vaughan or Strauss, and he's struggling coming in with wickets already down. Moving him up the order doesn't seem like any sort of solution.

Bairstow is the type of player to have at 5/6/7, of which we have so many there's also one at 4 and 8 currently. If we drop a 3/4 I think either bringing James Taylor in or just going for Rashid and shoving Moeen up to 3 (where he bats for Worcestershire) seems like a more balanced lineup to me. Cook (and to a lesser extent Root) can't be the only players in the top 7 capable of grinding out an innings and leaving balls.

Edited by kaosmark2

Had an absolutely delightful day yesterday at one of the best county outgrounds in the country. Tunbridge Wells looked resplendent, the offerings in the CAMRA tent were delicious, and for a change, the Kent batsmen were really on top.

Being possibly the least well off county financially does have its advantages occasionally, in that overseas stars can't be afforded and therefore much of the team are young players that have risen through the ranks of the youth system.

Of the six players I watched yesterday score 50s, 4 came through the ranks, 2 are Kentishmen, and 2 are Men of Kent.

Lastly, it's always nice to see Kent do well against that lot from over the river !

Of the six players I watched yesterday score 50s, 4 came through the ranks, 2 are Kentishmen, and 2 are Men of Kent.

Lastly, it's always nice to see Kent do well against that lot from over the river !

I wonder how many people understand how the Kent definition works.

I have never been to the Tunbridge ground, only the St Lawrence in Canterbury (I am neither a man of Kent nor a Kentish man - but my other half lives in Kent and as I hail from a county far from the top divisions, I have adopted Kent)

Incredibly I haven't been to any games this summer yet... and I'm not sure why.

Just glad they made a bit of  change and a shuffle...   I think they needed to send a message that bad performances will result in people losing their place.  Happy to give Lyth another test but he needs to post a score.

And Bell. If he doesn't get at least a few runs on his home ground, he'll struggle to hang around for much longer.

Bell seems slightly easier to replace than Lyth as well - with the option of putting Ali up to 3 and playing Rashid.

I also think it's good to send the message that people aren't going be dropped 4 tests after coming in.

Bell is vulnerable. I think Rashid coming in and having an extra spinner would be good if we had an Old Trafford test. As it is, I imagine Taylor coming in is probably a better option.

Carter, Ansari, Lilley, Rayner, Borthwick, Kerrigan, Riley, Tredwell, Rashid...that right there is why England have gone with a batter who can bowl a bit.

We simply don't have a quality spinner to pick who is playing so well they can't be ignored.

I'd guess most England supporters won't even have heard of some of them, let alone watched them play.

Edited by TheGayTent

Carter, Ansari, Lilley, Rayner, Borthwick, Kerrigan, Riley, Tredwell, Rashid...that right there is why England have gone with a batter who can bowl a bit.

We simply don't have a quality spinner to pick who is playing so well they can't be ignored.

I'd guess most England supporters won't even have heard of some of them, let alone watched them play.

Absolutely.

The plan B is being worked on :) It mainly involves numerous real ale bars around Birmingham :)

The Anchor. The Wellington. Post Office Vaults. Briar Rose. The Woodman. Shakespeare (two of them, summer row & lower temple street). Old Contemptibles.

That'll keep you going for a bit.. If it's an all night thing, Tap & Spile will do you til the ridiculous hours of Sunday