Cricket

greeneyes1980

also from McCullum:

"It was tactical for me to drop down the batting order [from five to six]. BJ Watling has done it for us before and we thought that if he could generate a partnership with Kane, the hitters like Corey Anderson and I could come in and have a realistic go at getting the target."

even adapting his tactics as he saw the start of their innings, looking to win it even though the odds were getting slowly against that happening.

fun match to watch, glad there was a positive result (even if NZ had won) and after that first morning to think it almost looked a bit sketchy. don't mind being proved wrong when that's the display

No surprise about the rain, but dodgy DRS again - and a spree of dropped catches.

Really need to get at least one of these out before close.

Yeah but how refreshing is the approach of New Zealand. Their unremittingly positive attitude has already contributed massively to one fantastic test match & the stage is set for another one. You certainly couldn't see them drawing many tests.

This is not in no way anti-English. It is stating the bleeding obvious to say that England contributed massively to the entertainment in the first test.

Long may it last. Hopefully, defending a 1-0 lead in a two test series (an insult to NZ) will not mean they retreat into their shell & go all Boycott on us!

Yeah but how refreshing is the approach of New Zealand. Their unremittingly positive attitude has already contributed massively to one fantastic test match & the stage is set for another one. You certainly couldn't see them drawing many tests.

This is not in no way anti-English. It is stating the bleeding obvious to say that England contributed massively to the entertainment in the first test.

Long may it last. Hopefully, defending a 1-0 lead in a two test series (an insult to NZ) will not mean they retreat into their shell & go all Boycott on us!

Utterly agree. One of the best things about the last test was that there were two teams playing really attacking cricket. It was just fantastic.

It happened last year as well, only 2 against Sri Lanka, who definitely deserved at least 3 tests, and previously the Saffers only got 3. I don't like the fixed at 7 home tests, meaning if we play India/Aus then it's 2+5. Having either 3+5 or 4+4 would just be far better, particularly as we have a number of grounds competing to host test cricket, with Lords still getting 2 every summer.

Money rules. No other reason the Indians get a 5 match series.

I know. Despite the fact the series against Sri Lanka and India have produced better cricket. I still wish an ODI and T20 match would be scrapped in favour of an extra test each summer.

Well, same. But that just won't happen.

Quite, not with Graves idea of a big bash style format.. Bloody thing grinds my gears, it's obviously helped test sides to an extent (NZ played brilliant attacking cricket in this 'series') but the demise of test cricket and the want to play it is sad. Can't blame the players, it's in their interests to earn as much as poss' during short careers.

• 4 weeks later...

Good day. Pitch turgid though. Hopefully add another 50+ in the morning then can get some wickets with the new ball. I think we'll struggle if we don't.

Bell's got a fantastic record, he's earned the right to play himself back into form.

Good day. Pitch turgid though. Hopefully add another 50+ in the morning then can get some wickets with the new ball. I think we'll struggle if we don't.

Bell's got a fantastic record, he's earned the right to play himself back into form.

I understand that point of view on Bell, but I don't see why he cant play himself back into form in county cricket with the proviso that as soon as he is making runs again he's straight back in the team.

He currently is a waste of a man in there, and is one of the main reasons why Root is having to be 'the saviour' on a regular basis. Our top order is so reliant on the middle order bailing them out.

I understand that point of view on Bell, but I don't see why he cant play himself back into form in county cricket with the proviso that as soon as he is making runs again he's straight back in the team.

He currently is a waste of a man in there, and is one of the main reasons why Root is having to be 'the saviour' on a regular basis. Our top order is so reliant on the middle order bailing them out.

His poor run hasn't been long enough to warrant what you're suggesting. Though in theory there's not a lot wrong with it. Also given the new look side, his experience is counting for him and rightly so. Finally, there isn't an obvious replacement that's shown they'll be anywhere near as good as the man they would be replacing.

The only man in the top order who's place is in immediate danger is Lyth.

His poor run hasn't been long enough to warrant what you're suggesting. Though in theory there's not a lot wrong with it. Also given the new look side, his experience is counting for him and rightly so. Finally, there isn't an obvious replacement that's shown they'll be anywhere near as good as the man they would be replacing.

The only man in the top order who's place is in immediate danger is Lyth.

Yeah I get your point, especially regarding the experience side of things. But has he scored any consistent meaningful runs since the last ashes in England? that's a fair amount of time.  I can think of one player that could fill that number quite easily...

No lets not go there actually

Yeah I get your point, especially regarding the experience side of things. But has he scored any consistent meaningful runs since the last ashes in England? that's a fair amount of time. I can think of one player that could fill that number quite easily...

No lets not go there actually

He got a big hundred less than 3 months back. Basically he's had one bad (2 match) series against New Zealand. Far too early to be thinking about dropping him. IMO obviously, but as I've said before, opinions are like arseholes...