Cricket

greeneyes1980

You don't get a refund on day 5 tickets (although I think you can get a discount on future games - case at Old Trafford anyway) but of course they would of loss potential revenue at the bars etc... Presuming its not all subcontracted...

That's not true. Refund policies for day 1-4 are dictated by the ECB. Day 5 is up to the test venue.

What you say is true for Old Trafford - it isn't for Durham. Durham state they give a full refund if there's no play due to adverse whether or the match has been completed.

The Oval also give a refund - although the oval don't include a refund of the booking fee.

Old Trafford offer you a discount to the value of your day 5 ticket against future England games at old Trafford. Or a free ticket to a lancs yb40 game.

Bresnan ruled out with a back injury. Tremlett or back to Finn?

I'd expect them to go to Tremlett. Finn may have got wickets for Middlesex earlier this month but after Tremlett's performance in the last Ashes 2 years ago I imagine they'll want him in a rhythm before we go down under this winter, particularly with Finn's poor bowling in the 1st Test.

So Kerrigan and Woakes called up for the Oval, with Monty absent again and no James Taylor. I've got a suspicion there may be a slight bit of experimentation with the series won, maybe 5 bowlers including one of those. I wouldn't be surprised if KP were rested as a precaution, or Bell to give others a chance to get themselves into form (although I think that would be a stupid move). I imagine they might pick the team with a slight view to blooding players before the tour down under.

Finn and Broad the only Test cricketers in the T20 squad. Glad to see most of our talents aren't being wasted in that (Anderson in particular looked tired).

So Kerrigan and Woakes called up for the Oval, with Monty absent again and no James Taylor. I've got a suspicion there may be a slight bit of experimentation with the series won, maybe 5 bowlers including one of those. I wouldn't be surprised if KP were rested as a precaution, or Bell to give others a chance to get themselves into form (although I think that would be a stupid move). I imagine they might pick the team with a slight view to blooding players before the tour down under.

Finn and Broad the only Test cricketers in the T20 squad. Glad to see most of our talents aren't being wasted in that (Anderson in particular looked tired).

Can't see much of that happening, it's not Flower's usual MO. My guess is Kerrigan and Woakes are there simply to experience being in and around the test match squad so that were they used at some point in the future, they weren't totally overawed. In recent times, a key aspect of picking a player is how they integrate into the environment not just their ability, and the 4th test is a good opportunity for Flower and the coaching staff to analyse how this works with regards to Kerrigan and Woakes. If Monty's head wasn't elsewhere at the moment, Kerrigan wouldn't even be on the radar regardless of the amount of wickets he's taken in county cricket, so I really can't see him jumping into the first XI.

I think it'll be far more evolution than revolution and Tremlett will be given the opportunity to prove why he should be starting in Oz by replacing Bresnan at the Oval.

Edited by TheGayTent

I've got a suspicion there may be a slight bit of experimentation with the series won, maybe 5 bowlers including one of those.

I imagine they might pick the team with a slight view to blooding players before the tour down under.

Called it!

Surprised they went with both though.

Great to get the early wicket, and Lehmann's comments just barmy. Diversionary tactic maybe, but I can't see riling Broad up as sensible!

Woakes being placed at 6 is interesting. Suggests to me he's being given an option to prove himself as an all-rounder rather than as a bowler who can bat (ala Broad/Bres). Bad news for all our young batsmen though.

What happens if Woakes gets a 50 but bowls dreadfully? Does he stay in for his batting and get bowled a bit?

Woakes being placed at 6 is interesting. Suggests to me he's being given an option to prove himself as an all-rounder rather than as a bowler who can bat (ala Broad/Bres). Bad news for all our young batsmen though.

What happens if Woakes gets a 50 but bowls dreadfully? Does he stay in for his batting and get bowled a bit?

He won't ever play a test match again after this one.

A bit premature to say that isn't it? One session in?

Yes of course it is.

Though it's hardly an outlandish call. Unless half the England cricket team get struck down with dengue fever he has no chance of being picked for the first test at the Gabba, regardless of how he plays in this test.

As to judging him as a player - he's a player I've seen a fair amount of in county cricket and I just don't rate him.

He'll be Darren Pattinson mk II

Vicious bouncer from Broad. Glad Watson's OK.

Yes of course it is.

Though it's hardly an outlandish call. Unless half the England cricket team get struck down with dengue fever he has no chance of being picked for the first test at the Gabba, regardless of how he plays in this test.

As to judging him as a player - he's a player I've seen a fair amount of in county cricket and I just don't rate him.

He'll be Darren Pattinson mk II

I wouldn't say no chance. If he gets 100-odd runs (over both innings) and a couple of wickets he might be considered for retaining the no. 6 spot as a batting all-rounder, it's still not been settled for anyone (although I'd far rather see James Taylor given another chance). But yeah, I can't see him having any chance of getting in on his bowling.

I'll have to take your word re. county cricket, I chekc the scores but don't follow or watch closely enough to judge players off it.

England won't go into a series with a 5 man bowling attack until they have a world class all rounder. Simple as that.

Regardless of how many runs Woakes gets with the bat, and how many wickets he takes, in this test, he won't be picked for the return series.

Just can't see it.