Cricket

greeneyes1980

• 2 weeks later...

if we can restrict them to a 350 lead, then even though that's a big chase it'll be on a 3rd/4th day pitch which can be some of the best days to bat on a waca pitch, so I would still be confident(ish) of chasing that down.

I really do dislike Mitchell Johnson, seems a very unpleasant man.

• 3 weeks later...

Wonder if ITV4 are showing the IPL this year? Not seen anything advertised.

Anybody know?

den

Think we'll miss him much more than his figures would suggest.

Definitely. His attitude, work ethic and approach to the game, along with his outstanding fielding (best ever England fielder?) are almost worthy of a place on their own.

and even though an average of 40 isn't going to set the world alight, over 65 tests thats nothing to be sniffed at.

Definitely. His attitude, work ethic and approach to the game, along with his outstanding fielding (best ever England fielder?) are almost worthy of a place on their own.

and even though an average of 40 isn't going to set the world alight, over 65 tests thats nothing to be sniffed at.

Absolutely. Very much made the best of what he had.

I know times are different n all, but his average is better than Atherton, Gatting, Hussain & Stewart. Not too shabby!

Also, 6 weeks ago I said this;

I'm going to be even more optimistic and say a 2-1 England win, with England retaining the Ashes in at the MCG before clinching the series with a draw in Sydney.

A day of rain today, and I'll be wishing I had money on that :P

Good decision Colly.

Think we'll miss him much more than his figures would suggest.

Hopefully Bresnan can fill the gap.

I'm hoping Panesar will take over as Beefy said last night, I think he'd make a good number 6. Although with Onions still to come back we've got a decent squad at the moment.

eidited: actually I think Eoin Morgan will replace him eventually, although I do think the Aussies are a prime example of players who are too used to the Twenty20 format than a test match series. And I feel Eoin's performance against Bangladesh did show he's more used to a limited overs game.

Edited by 5co77ie

I'm hoping Panesar will take over as Beefy said last night, I think he'd make a good number 6. Although with Onions still to come back we've got a decent squad at the moment.

eidited: actually I think Eoin Morgan will replace him eventually, although I do think the Aussies are a prime example of players who are too used to the Twenty20 format than a test match series. And I feel Eoin's performance against Bangladesh did show he's more used to a limited overs game.

I've read this 3 times and still can't spot any signs of sarcasm

Edited by TheGayTent

I've read this 3 times and still can't spot any signs of sarcasm

He he... I had both barrels loaded and was about to unload until I read yours!

Panesar my arse.

And --IPL.. whats wrong with it in terms of entertainment?

I watched last year and thought it was flippin good--esp over there where the crowds seem to genuinely go for it.

Collingwoods averages... wow--I`m quite shocked to see the comparison with what I classed as some of the best we`ve had.

Not sure if he would be England best ever fielder mind after seeing Randall over the years. All reletive though eh.

Ey--- I`m glad this is the last night.. I`m f**kin wrecked with all these night shifts.

I suppose it will be easier if the one dayers are Day/Night cos they will finish mid-morning here eh.. so just an early start for us.

den

Collingwoods averages... wow--I`m quite shocked to see the comparison with what I classed as some of the best we`ve had.

Is it cos them 4 played mainly late 80s to early noughties, when England were inconsistent at best, so dragging them down? Or, perhaps they were the best of a bad bunch and wouldn't easily make the current team?

Player Span Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave 100 50 0

IJL Trott 2009-2011 18* 30 4 1600 226 61.53 5 5 1

H Sutcliffe 1924-1935 54 84 9 4555 194 60.73 16 23 2

E Paynter 1931-1939 20 31 5 1540 243 59.23 4 7 3

KF Barrington 1955-1968 82 131 15 6806 256 58.67 20 35 5

WR Hammond 1927-1947 85 140 16 7249 336* 58.45 22 24 4

JB Hobbs 1908-1930 61 102 7 5410 211 56.94 15 28 4

L Hutton 1937-1955 79 138 15 6971 364 56.67 19 33 5

GE Tyldesley 1921-1929 14 20 2 990 122 55.00 3 6 2

DCS Compton 1937-1957 78 131 15 5807 278 50.06 17 28 10

Talking about averages,my claim to fame is I am related to someone who is in the top 10 of england all time batting averages. Although I am sure 1920s cricket was very different!