How times change, eh? Today, holidays in Cambodia are quite popular, and if you don't do punk, google is your friend. Meanwhile, this is about Shangri-La, and this is their story in their own words, 2017-styleee.
- Shangri-La has a full field re-design, and gets ENVIRON-MENTAL with art and activism
- Truth Stage - eclectic acts from Napalm Death to A Tribe Called Red perform in the new arena surrounded by hundreds of one-off pieces of art
- The Gas Tower - brand new digital arts venue showcasing 360 degrees of awe-inspiring audio visual action
- The Clash - the biggest names in Garage, Grime, Jungle and Bass music collide each night at Glastonbury’s first ever dedicated soundclash stage.
- The Greenhouse - Another first for 2017 is this strictly Reggae venue from Hackney veteran roots crew Solution Sound System
The Sh-afterlife is no more. No Heaven. No Hell. Only the waste from last year’s festival remains. Giant Towers of Trash now dominate the Shangri-La skyline. Structures have formed from the scrap that you left behind, dwellings made of detritus, art from the embers. Shelter is sought within towers of textiles, pillars of plastic and columns of consumerism. The rubbish is a refuge. Every space becomes a place to party or ponder, be it a tube train, a bus, a skip or a bin. This year Shangri-La addresses this mess with the mantra - RE-CYCLE, RE-USE, RE-SIST!
"I was horrified by the waste left behind at Glastonbury in 2016, so I’m taking a stand to try to combat the apathy that seems to have manifested into the minds of festival-goers everywhere. We are the only field to have a complete re-design this year - but with a difference, as the entire site has been built from recycled and repurposed materials. We are trying to set a standard across the UK festival scene, and hope to inspire as well as highlight the issues facing generations to come . The artwork that has been commissioned will back this up! As will the amazing installations and the punk as f*#k programming to be found in our fully immersive new venues. This is set to be the best Shangri-La yet!" Kaye Dunnings, Creative Director.
"It might be easy to look at the political chaos, the algorithmically contained communities and the digital mapping of our cultures and feel helpless… however, we’ve never been more powerful. This little corner of the festival is an analogy of your voice, your choices and potential. Be honest. Make some choices. Show yourself! We need that of you." Robin Collings, Producer.
From the ashes of hell rises the TRUTH STAGE where an extreme fusion of genres mashes together resonating the sounds of revolution all night long surrounded by the largest collective exhibition ever seen at a festival, made up of hundreds of one-off pieces of art.
Highlights include Earache Takeovers with grindcore heroes Napalm Death and punk legends Dead Kennedys. Canadian hip-hop, dubstep, reggae wizards A Tribe Called Red and Delhi’s Ska-vengers! Shangri-La faithful Craig Charles will again be bringing his Funk and Soul whilst Rat Boy will bring their cheeky charm to the stage of truth. Leave your vanilla chart-pleasers at home and immerse yourself in the most eclectic line-up of your life!
Shangri-La is bringing another Glastonbury debut in the form of the CLASH stage… 2 crews on 2 sound systems vying for vibes at the festival’s first ever soundclash stage! Hear musical titans from reggae, dub, funk and garage battle with bass to get the best reaction from the crowd. Soundclashes from the likes ofJaguar Skills vs Boom Sound and Born On Road, Rodney P and Skibadee vs Shadow Demon Coalition will kick off between sets from acts such as Big Narstie x Target x Rude Kid and a rare solo set from Lisa Maffia. BOOM!
The GAS TOWER stretches 10 metres into the sky, harnessing the energy around it,becoming the epicentre of the digital revolution. Technology and art fuse with education and activism in a collaborative experiment in digital progression, showcasing the best in cutting edge UK audio visual talent. DJ Yoda will be performing his incredible Stranger Things audio visual masterpiece on Friday. The Bomb, a groundbreaking multimedia installation that immerses you in the strange, compelling, and unsettling reality of nuclear weapons today, with a live score by The Acid will be screened 3 times over the festival. Beatboxer extraordinaire and audio visual artist Reeps One will perform and more outstanding DJs like Goldie b2b My Nu Leng and Monki will blast incredible sets in the 360 degree mind-bending setting.
MORE SHANGRI-LA HIGHLIGHTS:
- ShangrilART: Visit our backdoor print shop for a chance to pick up and paste artworks from some of our most elusive artists all printed on scrap paper. Will it become kindling? Or will it be worth £££ in years to come?! Live screen printing and free giveaways daily. ART IS FOR EVERYONE! www.shangrilart.com
- SHITV - Days of hope with talks and films on activism and DIY culture, nights of vicious parody and the chance to stomp ‘til morning on the grave of the media’s credibility. FEATURING: Shangri-Starz - Nightly talent show Shangri Starz comes complete with big time judge drama and the chance for an everlasting fifteen seconds of fame!
- The Greenhouse - Glastonbury’s first REGGAE VENUE, Powered by London Roots Reggae institution -Solution Sound System. In a celebration of all things roots and culture, a giant tropical greenhouse becomes home to an amazing party celebrating carnival culture with a killer line-up spanning generations and continents. Featuring The Mighty Jah Observer, Manasseh Hi Fi, Reggae Roast, Mungos Hi Fi, Roots Ting, Mistah Brown, Love Grocer, Keith Lawrence, King Beat Hi Fi, Steve Bedlam, Kai Sounds and Roots Sensation.
- The Sisterhood - After causing a stir last year, Glastonbury’s female-only venue of art, music, performance, talks and girl power offers womb-like sanctuary for females. Highlights include FridayFight Night with Arm wrestling, Ninjas and Dance offs. Featuring Theresa May Smackdown: A Fight To The Death (Of The Alt-Right) and music from Dream Nails: DIY Punk Witches From Hell.
- Earache Express - Housed in a recycled London Underground tube carriage comes a new venue, curated by the legendary British independent Earache Records, who celebrate 30 years of pioneering metal/punk this summer. Catch Extreme Noise Terror, Steve Ignorant’s Slice of Life and Wormrot among the other legends!
Scroll down the page for the Shangri-La poster.
Glastonbury Festival takes place at Worthy Farm, Pilton, Somerset from Wednesday 21st to Sunday 25th June. For the confirmed acts as well as the fullest list of rumours of who might be playing see the Glastonbury Festival line-up page.
Don't forget the ‘Love the Farm, Leave no Trace’ pledge:-
- I will use the toilets provided and not pee on the land
- I will use the recycling bins provided and not throw my rubbish on the ground
- I will take all my belongings home with me again, including my tent and all camping equipment
- I will bag up my rubbish in the bin bags provided by the campsite stewards and use the recycling pens provided in each campsite.
Please commit to this pledge and encourage others to stick to it too, to help ensure a sustainable Festival.
latest on this festival
line-ups & rumours
Dizzee Rascal, The Jacksons, and Justice, & more
for venues The Temple, Rumshack & The Cave