The Pets Thread

Lithium05

Connie is being put to sleep this morning. She suddenly became very ill and stopped eating around 6 days ago. We took her to the vets who gave her an antibiotic incase she'd picked up another infection, it hasn't done anything so it's obviously the kidney failure taking hold.

RIP my beautiful Connie :(

154835_466045641710_542541710_6167524_7264887_n.jpg

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry kat. Our cat went the same way last year.

Thanks. It's never easy but it was easier than seeing her in any discomfort. How do you ever know how much something is hurting an animal? She didn't look well and wasn't herself for the 5 or 6 days of not eating but it was only yesterday when she kept falling over that we decided as a family it was her time and that we couldn't just allow her to starve herself to death, which is what she was doing.

She was a complete pain in the arse at times but she was such a pretty cat and such a big softy. I'm going to miss having to shove her off my knee when visiting my mum and dad from now on :(

• 9 months later...

this is my cat, charky

2278176316_8b0f49d04c_b.jpg

Found out last week that out cat has a tumour under his tongue and hasn't got long left, totally gutted, you get far too attatched to them, he's only 9 years old too :(

• 2 weeks later...

I had to get my cat put to sleep yeterday. I cried like a big baby in that vets room :cry:

I did the same last week,our cat's tumour had grown a lot in the week so we decided it was best for him to be put to sleep.... i had to go out when they actually did it and left the wife there, really horrible thing to do, still miss him about the house now :cry: :cry:

I did the same last week,our cat's tumour had grown a lot in the week so we decided it was best for him to be put to sleep.... i had to go out when they actually did it and left the wife there, really horrible thing to do, still miss him about the house now :cry: :cry:

Part of me wanted to leave when they put in the injection but i couldn't leave him. They left us in the room with him for 5 minutes afterwards. A lot worse than I thought it was going to be.

Part of me wanted to leave when they put in the injection but i couldn't leave him. They left us in the room with him for 5 minutes afterwards. A lot worse than I thought it was going to be.

Yeah tha's why i'm glad the wife stayed with him, sort of regret not staying now but at the time i just couldn't do it, the whole thing was just awful .

It's been a week now and the house still feels empty without him :(

I am sorry for everyone too, it's horrible. Our last remaining cat is still going strong at 14. She's a super star and it will break my heart when she does finally go.

I know what you mean. We still have Jess left who is 15 and at the moment is as fit as a fiddle. It still feels weird not having Jack around though. He was pretty quiet but the house just feels wrong without him around.

Never had pets but we have cats now. Had a couple youngish cats turn up on our doorstep about 3-4 weeks ago, pretty malnourished. Two gingers, one of which was very bold and brave and the other would stick to him like glue. Then as we were paying them a bit of attention, another couple (one smokey black and one motley coloured) crept out under the old lotus elan+2 in the carpool off our garage. Put out of bit of food and water for them and they stayed the night on top the elan and have stayed since. I'm assume they might have been born under there and we haven't noticed (no sign of cats before), as they've made no attempt to leave or find an old home or anything.

Both latter two were pretty shy at first and would run away but pretty settled now and smokey in particular like the attention and the other at least allows herself to be stroked now. Been to the vets today and got neutering/spaying booked in for next week as vet reckons they're about 4-5 months old. 1 boy (smokey), 3 females.

Mother (presumably) showed herself 3 days after they first turned up and stayed a few hours but haven't seen her since.

Don't really know anyone that really likes cats to be honest, except me. My Mum is scared shitless of them and both my house mates hate them but the neighbours cat calls in for a ramble from time to time and I leave a saucer of milk out for it. Keep the rats etc away too.

Heres my dog in a "you're ignoring me so I'm off to the corner for a sulk" mood.

Head turned away too. Big fucking baby.

2vlrymu.jpg

Is milk okay for cats? Just we gave ours some milk first couple of days but then read online that they don't break it down well, and many cats are lactose intolerant and get the shits/sick. We've stopped now, just giving them water instead, but they seemed to enjoy it.

it's not really recommended, you can buy special cat milk but we just always gave ours water

Didn't know that about milk for cats. Ill leave out water in future.

I'm used to boxer dogs who over the years have eaten a full 12lb Christmas ham, a huge box of coconut creams (his stomach was gliding on the floor when he walked after) and a load of cement.

Edited by The Nal

• 1 month later...

Alright so not a pet, but I have (at least) one mouse in the living room. Was lying on the couch last night watching the snooker and I heard a sort of scratching in the couch and then a few minutes later the little bastard appeared underneath the Christmas tree.

I don’t want to kill it so I’ve set up a couple of home traps. Not as elaborate but something like this. Basically food in a toilet roll holder which will tip it into a bin so it cant get out, but wont die either.

Hopefully it'll be in the bin when I get home. Can they climb out of a 25 inch bin though?

draft_lens1480584module150441229photo_1306420572Mousetrap1.jpg