The Pets Thread

Lithium05

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, despite her good looks getting a decent photograph of Connie right now is proving most difficult. She does not want to be paraded around for a bunch of hippies on a festival website, she's far too pretty for that!

This is the best shot I could get before she got really mad with me:

connie.jpg

Here is a photo of her I took a good few years ago, when she wasn't looking:

katy006.jpg

Cleo is off galavanting at the moment, searching for men. But here she is with Connie on a photo I took a while ago:

Photo-0120.jpg

You'd get wrong for that with one of these babies.

Other species are allowed.

Eeeek! I was just having a catch up read and the thought did occur to me "I hope Cultseeker's not going to put up a picture of a massive spider on here......."

*Goes off to calm nerves....*

How are chinchillas as pets? I've never known anyone (in "real life" :lol: ) with one so don't know much about them :)

They're the best 'small' pet in my opinion. Expensive, but so much more fun than hamsters, gerbils, rats, rabbits, guinea pigs etc. They're very adventurous and really friendly, mine bit me once in 7 years of having her - and that was because she had her foot caught in the cage and was confused. Also she jumped in the toilet a couple of times when someone had left the door open. Awesome.

< Now I have a Roborovski hamster called Flumpy, full name Flumplestiltskin. She's timid as hell.

I used to have a chipmunk called Twiglet, before the chinchilla. Wouldn't recommend chipmunks as pets at all.

Eeeek! I was just having a catch up read and the thought did occur to me "I hope Cultseeker's not going to put up a picture of a massive spider on here......."

*Goes off to calm nerves....*

It's beautiful.

That picture is a particularly splendid one I think. Really captures her colours.

It's odd with them. When you see them in a house or somewhere bland they stand out with their orange, yellow or red knees. But stick them anywhere green and you can't see them. The orangey strain of colour actually confuses the perception of light when in greenery so that you actually see the green as orange. It's quite a weird phenomenon. They bend the light so you see orange instead of green, yet you recognise it as green.

So, there you go.

Edited by Cultseeker

They're the best 'small' pet in my opinion. Expensive, but so much more fun than hamsters, gerbils, rats, rabbits, guinea pigs etc. They're very adventurous and really friendly, mine bit me once in 7 years of having her - and that was because she had her foot caught in the cage and was confused. Also she jumped in the toilet a couple of times when someone had left the door open. Awesome.

< Now I have a Roborovski hamster called Flumpy, full name Flumplestiltskin. She's timid as hell.

I used to have a chipmunk called Twiglet, before the chinchilla. Wouldn't recommend chipmunks as pets at all.

When you say expensive, do you mean to get in the first place or to feed etc?

I've had many pets over the years as well as adopting several injured wild animals for short periods of time.

I think my favourites were the rats who were so friendly and easy to train. They used to potter about the place and had great personalities. Also loved the guinea pigs because of the nioses they made.

At present I have a black labrador called Harry who is getting on in years.

harryfv5.jpg

Edited by treacle

When you say expensive, do you mean to get in the first place or to feed etc?

To buy in the first place. They cost about £90, maybe more for a baby. Baby chinchillas are the cutest things in the world.

They're not expensive to maintain - just need to buy pellets, sawdust, straw and bath sand. Probably costs less than £5 a month.

Aww like this thread! I have two cats, but at the rentals house :lol: Would post pics but no idea how!!

Not got anything here as live in a flat, but was looking to get a guinea pig (or two). Are they good pets? A friend has a few and they are lovely, like being handled, make amusing noises, can be left on there own in the day without going mental...so seem pretty ideal for a flat but was wondering if anyone had any experience of them to share.

Aww like this thread! I have two cats, but at the rentals house :lol: Would post pics but no idea how!!

Not got anything here as live in a flat, but was looking to get a guinea pig (or two). Are they good pets? A friend has a few and they are lovely, like being handled, make amusing noises, can be left on there own in the day without going mental...so seem pretty ideal for a flat but was wondering if anyone had any experience of them to share.

We had 2 until just recently. They make good pets and do make some great noises. We kept them outside in the summer and brought them in in the winter months. They used to enjoy being groomed by the kids and would dit on their laps for hours. They need to have their toe nails clipped regularly which can be fiddlly but you could pay for the vet to do it if you'd rather. They eat all sorts of vegies as well as pellets specially for guinea pigs which have added vitamin C which they need. They are social creatures so if you decide on getting them make sure you get a same sex pair otherwise you will be over run in no time! PLEASE dont do what many folk do and buy one guinea pig and one rabbit. Rabbits are much more agressive and bully the poor wee piggies!

I have to say that I would get a rat bofore any other small animal because of their intelligence which makes them easy to train and the fact that they are so clean in their habits.

three giant african land snails :lol:

Gordon, Norman and Harold Bishop

Gordons over a year old, the other two are just likkle babies :)

what perfect names. My friend's little brother had Giant African land snails, two, he ended up with a lot of snail babies which was a bit of disaster!

ive got two cats (still sort of kittens!) they are called Harley and Davey and ive got 3 rabbits called Bernie, Jack and Sally.....jack is blind and deaf which is quite funny to watch :lol: