Bob Dylan thread

sifi

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Nah very cool crowd last night. No one shouting for the old songs or anything. The newer songs got all the applause. A proper, relevant working band with the new stuff nailed down. Mix of all ages. Three teenagers in front of me singing along and hugging each other during a load of the new songs.

Recent tunes called Forgetful Heart, Long and Wasted Years and Pay in Blood being the standouts.

Forgetful Heart in particular. You could hear a pin drop. Beautiful.

Long and Wasted Years.

Edited by The Nal

You have to tip the aul hat to Bobby. His committment to his craft and confidence in his newest material is resolute! More bad reviews than good and he couldnt care less. He's a hardened old spud that ain't gonna change his ways now. I respect him but can't help but feel the world has missed out on account of his lazerbeam focus on remaining true.

Throw Bobby out there with Jacky White's band The Peacocks for example. Get him to start with The Hurricane. Jesus I'd pay €100 for that alone.

On the flipside of that I can't think of another act who at nearly 74 still has thousands of people of all ages going to gigs wanting to hear the new stuff.

If he stuck to playing Its All Over Now Baby Blue or Only a Pawn in Their Game on acoustic he would've become stale in the mid 60s.

He hasnt played the Hurricane live for nearly 40 years!

Not nonsense at all. He constantly moves and adapts. With mixed results. Him coming out and playing an album version of The Hurricane makes no sense.

He rarely played the album versions of the songs when they were new!

Playing the hits isn't what makes him great and not the reason 99% of people were there last night. I didn't hear one person shouting for a classic song.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I downloaded the 18 disc set but mainly just been listening to it on shuffle as think It would get tiresome listening to 10 takes of the same song constantly (There is a whole disc just with versions of Like A Rolling Stone on it). Might make a playlist of the best of disc to listen to in order though. Also thinking of picking up the vinyl version at some point.

44 minutes ago, When Jokers Attack said:

I downloaded the 18 disc set but mainly just been listening to it on shuffle as think It would get tiresome listening to 10 takes of the same song constantly (There is a whole disc just with versions of Like A Rolling Stone on it). Might make a playlist of the best of disc to listen to in order though. Also thinking of picking up the vinyl version at some point.

Pretty much the same for me. I started off with the 15 track Spotify sampler, then downloaded the 18 disc thing this morning. I've been flicking through bits of it this afternoon, not in any structured way.

it's an immense thing. Dylan was so ridiculously, ludicrously ahead of the game in 65-66. You could spend a lifetime trying to fathom this shit out. Just extraordinary.

and yeah, i've ordered the vinyl for Christmas. There is literally and without any measure of hyperbole, nobody like Dylan.

• 2 months later...