The old Greenpeace showers

Guest Vectrex

The old Greenpeace communal showers, which was last used in that form in 2003 I believe. The old whale shaped structure which was a large open mixed communal showers inside. Did this date back to the very early years of Glastonbury? Why did they decide to change the Greenpeace showers into a mixed changing area but with only 12(if memory serves me correctly) cubicles(with Wild West style saloon doors)? Did a lot of people complain about the old no privacy setup of the old Greenpeace showers? Hence why they decided to change it? Or did they just decide to change it? I bet the queues were a LOT shorter for the old showers, than the current setup?

I think it's a shame they got rid of the old setup of the showers. As it would be very much "back to basics", "everyone in the same boat" and a trace back to the old days. The old Greenpeace showers would have been very much a tradition of Glastonbury I would have thought. Part of Glastonbury's charactor. It's a shame they got rid of them in that form. Bring them back I say! Is there any chance they could come back again in that form? Or is it gone forever? Noticed that the 2007 setup of the Greenpeace showers was slightly different to the 2005 setup. So you never know.

Edited by Vectrex

76 views and not a single reply! LOL. Never mind!

Think it would be a great idea if they brought the old Greenpeace showers back for 2008 though. I never saw what exactly they were like. But I'd imagine it was fairly similar in principal to the communal showers at the campsites at the FIB Benicassim festival. About 100 shower heads in an open area. There were never any huge long queues to use them. Even at the very busiest times you'd have a max of about 3 minutes to wait for a shower. And there were two of these roughly 100 person shower areas on the campsite. And another smaller area with about 40 shower heads. Glasto could learn a thing or two from this. No huge long queues. And just literally walk in when you want to and get a shower.

The last time I used the Greenpeace showers at Glasto last year. Vague memories about what exactly happened. But I got a ticket to shower. They weren't able to give an approx time to come back for some reason. So I queued up. Was in the queue for over an hour, and was relatively near the front of the queue. Only for the lady to then tell everyone whose ticket numbers were past a certain number, that they would not be able to shower due to them being low on water capacity or something. And she appologised as she should have told everyone this earlier, and that more tickets should not have been given out!

Bring back the old Greenpeace showers for 2008 please!

The current ones are still better than these awful portakabin showers that a lot of other festivals uses. By the time you get in there, the cabin is absolutely rank. And so I've read on here, you may get in there only to find someone's left a log. And not the wooden kind.

Edited by Vectrex

• 2 weeks later...

I always shower at Glasto.... makesa good alternative to sleep. The showers were different this year, as you described them. In 2005 they were split in half male and female with seperate cubicles. before that (not sure which year they were just like school showers with a bench and pegs to get changed at and mixed gender.

I don't mind getting changed infront of other people but I don't think i'd like completely open shower cubicles, a bit of privacy is good.

I've never ever had to queue to use the shower at Glasto. If you get there early in the morning 6 or 7ish (can't remember what time they open then yo can walk straight in. My mates usually go to bed at this time so I go get showered, and eat breakast whilst reading the Glasto paper, usually sat in a Tipi somewhere before findng somewhere to crash out.

G

I'm afraid I don't shower at festies either - just bring wipes with me. Am I right in thinking they had Greenpeace toilets there? Think they were near the stone circle. They were just a hole in the ground. Anyone remember them? I seem to remember there being some sort of sauna as well. Hmmm. I think communal showers sound like a good idea, would save queueing (sp?).

Somehow changing from mixed to segregated sex showers seems like another small death of hippyness.

I always shower at Glasto.... makesa good alternative to sleep. The showers were different this year, as you described them. In 2005 they were split in half male and female with seperate cubicles. before that (not sure which year they were just like school showers with a bench and pegs to get changed at and mixed gender.
Edited by Vectrex

I'm afraid I don't shower at festies either - just bring wipes with me. Am I right in thinking they had Greenpeace toilets there? Think they were near the stone circle. They were just a hole in the ground. Anyone remember them? I seem to remember there being some sort of sauna as well. Hmmm. I think communal showers sound like a good idea, would save queueing (sp?).
Edited by Vectrex

• 1 year later...

Sam's was there as allways last year, in the same familiar spot! And will be there this year again. Lost Horizon wasn't there this year. Instead a sauna called Tipi Spa Sauna Chill in the Tipi Field. They will be there again this year by the way. Was good, but didn't like it as much as the old Lost Horizon. Don't know if they'll be there this year however.

yep, I certainly do remember the mixed greenpeace showers but never used them but did use the

old sauna and plunge pool which was mixed

I remember sitting in a communal pool which was a hole dug in the ground with a big sheet to hold the water with quite a few mixed naked people passing round a smoke.

My sister said it was at a different festival but I am sure it was glastonbury in the late 80's

put my mind at ease please guys

I used the greenpeace mixed showers "back in the day" and, to be totally truthful, I only did so to look at nudey girls chesticles. I would suggest that this is the only reason 99.9999% of the blokes were in there.

I used to do it subtley, dont get me wrong, but the reason they have been withdrawn is probably because of voyeurs like me.

For that, I apologise.

You diiiiirty old maaaaaan :P although your 99.9999% suggested figure could well be considered as being more than a tad high of course because, statistically, (or at least allegedly anyway) only 95% or thereabouts of blokes would be particularly interested in checking out said undulating scenery :lol:

Edited by mikeb

The queues would be a lot shorter if they went back to the open plan mixed communal setup. The people who don't want to be seen nude by strangers of the opposite sex would avoid them. Plus with it being open plan showers and not private cubicles, people would take far less time to use them too. The time some people take in those private cubicles can be an absolute age. Simply strip off, if necessary wait a short time for a shower post to become available, shower for a few minutes, get dressed, and go. As for any voyeurs present in such a mixed open plan setup(which may or may not be the reason they were axed, after all that setup was used for quite some years I believe), there would be staff members present to keep an eye out. Anyone found sat/stood there blatantly perving at people should be thrown out(literally!) - even if they are in a state of undress. There's nothing wrong with a quick glance or two, but blatant gawking for minutes at a time should not be put up with.

In the Glastonbury programme last year it even mentioned that the Greenpeace showers would be unisex. So they must have changed their mind at short notice for the seperate male/female showers to be setup instead.

That said with the amount of people that are present at the festival there should be another additional set of showers too. Male and female segregated for those too timid to use the unisex showers. But again these should be open plan without cubicles to cut down the amount of time people spend in them. Plus also the disturbing fact that some people use festival shower cubicles/tardis'es as toilets, leaving an unpleasant surprise for the people who go in afterwards.

The problem with people using the showers at the two saunas onsite, is that at times many people go there just to take a shower. And when too many people do this, it's a bit of a nuisance for the sauna users as they have to wait ages to get a refreshing shower after a sauna round. This was especially the case at the Tipi Spa Sauna Chill last year. Far too many people just using the showers. On the Sunday afternoon, the sauna owner restricted use of the showers to sauna users only.

Edited by Vectrex