The Great Rock & Roll Swindle.....

Guest Ming The Mercyless

The Guardian gave it 3 stars out of 5 which means an average score (4=Good 5=Excellent).

and.....

Quotes from the BBC you didn't include:

After an evening that owes more to music hall than the MC5, you begin to wonder if erstwhile antichrist John Lydon is angling for a career change - tea-time game show host, perhaps

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My point was Liam said he hadn't seen any positive reviews I knew this wasn't true, did a quick google and posted the links. You said that they weren't positive. So I highlighted the positive bits for you. That's it really.

I don't quite get the money's worth bit. You get the same number of bands for the same amount of money. The bands with the biggest draw, charge the highest fees and get top of the bill. That's how it works. Whether it be The Rolling Stones, Madonna, U2, Radiohead or The Sex Pistols. Christ if the Spice Girls, fancied it they'd have got top billing.

Obviously the ordering of the days events bothers you and thats your prerogative.

They should have had a retro day and had The Police and The Sex Pistols on the same day. Chucking in The Cure and Siouxsie for good measure. But I suppose that would lead to people just buying day tickets, when as we know they want you there all weekend.

I'm just happy U2 aren't playing :ph34r:

They should have had a retro day and had The Police and The Sex Pistols on the same day. Chucking in The Cure and Siouxsie for good measure. But I suppose that would lead to people just buying day tickets, when as we know they want you there all weekend.

No worries mate...... :)

I would actually like to see them Edi but I want (what is in my head at least) a bigger act to follow them - having them support The Police as you suggested would hae been an excellent move.

Edited by Edi M

im considering bestival too but at the moment there is no way i can afford it until after christmas

everyone is allowed to see who ever they want.....work is very stressful at the moment so mcfly will be a laugh!!

Dont understand why people are dissapointed with the pistols? I think it'll go either one of 2 ways, one of the best headline slots or one of the worst, I personally think it will turn out one of the best in the festivals history, anythings gotta be better than bloody snow patrol!! I definately want a holiday in the sun!

Like many others I am very disappointed by the two headliners so far. I have been to literally dozens of festies, spread over more years than I care to remember, so I am more than aware that they are about more than the headline acts. Nonetheless, I works hard for my cash, and have to be a bit selective these days. Sadly I don't like Police, I saw them at their peak and was unimpressed then, and like most others I just don't see the Sex pistols as a headline act. So I guess it will be another festie this year. Glasto by choice if I can get em! Hopefully IoW will attract me back next year.

Like many others I am very disappointed by the two headliners so far. I have been to literally dozens of festies, spread over more years than I care to remember, so I am more than aware that they are about more than the headline acts. Nonetheless, I works hard for my cash, and have to be a bit selective these days. Sadly I don't like Police, I saw them at their peak and was unimpressed then, and like most others I just don't see the Sex pistols as a headline act. So I guess it will be another festie this year. Glasto by choice if I can get em! Hopefully IoW will attract me back next year.

We have friends who go to IOW each year and love it, and I must say it does look good on the telly. We were up for it in 2008 - not now though. Usually the headliners aren't the be-all at a festival but with a lack of stage alternatives I just have no enthusiasm for this. We saw the Police recently - they were OK but I've no desire to see them again. Saw the Pistols in '96- again they were quite amusing but nothing I really feel the need to repeat. Saw the Kaisers a few weeks ago - they were great, but hardly the sort of festival headliner to get me excited. No doubt there'll be some good acts on the bill but it sure is a weak line-up of headliners compared to recent years.

line ups a joke, oooooohhhhhhhhhh Kaisers!! there's a massive scoop for the IOW festival they haven't sold their arses to every festival going.

so so so so pleased i saw that £75 thing was a con!!!

"ill give you this box for £50 mate"

"can i see whats in the box please?"

"nah mate just trust me give me £50 it will be worth it"

Come on Chris, wise up. You go to a festival like IOW expecting kick arse headliners on top. When i first went in 05 it was Morrissey and REM, and in 06 it was Foo Fighters, Placebo, Editors and Richard Ashcroft which stopped me from selling my ticket. Considering I havent seen a positive review of the Sex Pistols anywhere, and considering the organisational disaster that IOW has turned into, and all the postive reviews that Bestival gets, I can hardly blame anybody for makinf this decision.

And lets be honest about it, the chances of John Giddings getting anyone good, after forking out for The Police (not cheap!) is unlikely. I'm quite confident it'll be more silly little acoustic and novelty acts filling out the rest of IOW.

2004 was the best didn't that have manics, stereophonics, Bowie and all sorts

2005 was good i still loved it although morrissey didn't play we had travis

and its been downhill ever since, more and more the fans of the IOW have been ripped off.

and i still think money was wasted ont he stones, yes fantastic band but it meant little budget for the rest of the acts that weekend.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. IOW 2007 was the worst festival line up in history.

Not that I would know because I wasnt there and as we've established Seaclose Park is the only place one can form a opinion on bands.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. IOW 2007 was the worst festival line up in history.

Not that I would know because I wasnt there and as we've established Seaclose Park is the only place one can form a opinion on bands.