poll to get me into the disabled area in glastonbury

Guest miss star

do you think i should be allowed into the disabled area even though im not permantly disabled  

125 members have voted

1. 1. check out the body of writing to see the full story behind this poll

• yes miss star should have access to disabled area
    • no - no access to disabled area
    • refund on ticket only
    • hard luck - no refund - no access

i have been posting at on this forum under this topic /index.php?showtopic=80661">broke my leg and only weeks to glasto, help what sshould i do???

but here is a basic run down of what has happened so far

i am a massive fan of glastonbury and have been coming to the festival for many years now, as usual i spent ticket day trying frantically to book myself a ticket in order not to miss out (its obv been 2 years almost since the last glasto )

and luckily i got through and booked my tickets at 9.02 am i was one of the first. i was chuffed beyond all words obviously

and so have waited patiently for the big day to arrive so i could set off to my couple of days in paradise...

however everything has gone wrong

i returned home on the 1st june from a 2 week holiday in rhodes, greece where i was attending my sisters wedding.. a few days before i flew home i fell down stairs at the hotel and broke my ankle. because of the language barrier the greek doctor could not fully go into what was wrong with my ankle so put a cast on it and told me to see the doctors back home.. i contacted the disability team at glastonbury festivals (before june 1st- cut off date) and explained the situation to them that i would possibly still be in a cast when i returned home and that it will be difficult for me to get about the site, i received an email back of them telling me that because my disability is not a permanent one i do not qualify for any help of them. either by easy access to camping area's or help viewing the stage, or any help at all.

hi Lula

The disabled facilities at the festival are for people with permanent disabilities so I’m afraid you do not qualify. However the disabled toilets around site are often left open so you will be able to use these.

I do hope you understand this situation.

Regards

Claire

Disabled Access Co-ordinator

Glastonbury Festival

Edited by miss star

from the disability rights commission:

Q:

What counts as a disability according to the law ?

A:

The Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) protects disabled people. The Act sets out the circumstances in which a person is "disabled". It says you are disabled if you have:

* a mental or physical impairment

* this has an adverse effect on your ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities

* the adverse effect is substantial

* the adverse effect is long-term (meaning it has lasted for 12 months, or is likely to last for more than 12 months or for the rest of your life).

There are some special provisions, for example:

* If your impairment has substantially affected your ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities, but doesn't any more, it will still be counted as having that effect if it is likely to do so again

* if you have a progressive condition, and it will substantially affect your ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities in the future, you will be regarded as having an impairment which has a substantial adverse effect from the moment the condition has some effect on your ability to carry out normal day to day activities.

* if you have been diagnosed as having cancer, HIV infection or multiple sclerosis you will automatically be considered as ‘disabled’.

* if you are registered as blind or partially sighted or certified as blind or partially sighted by a consultant ophthalmologist, you willl automatically be considered as “disabled”.

* people who have had a disability in the past but are no longer disabled are covered by certain parts of the DDA.

not found anything relating to broken bones yet.

i'll keep looking.

I think the response from Glasto is disgusting and you have every right to be livid. How the hell does whether the condition's permanent or not affect how disabled you actually are, and therefore how you have any less right that other disabled people to use the facilities?

I undersatnd the argument in the eyes of the law, ie, not being classed as disabled for the purposes of claiming benefits and stuff, but surely in this case they could show a little more compassion?

I think the response from Glasto is disgusting and you have every right to be livid. How the hell does whether the condition's permanent or not affect how disabled you actually are, and therefore how you have any less right that other disabled people to use the facilities?

I undersatnd the argument in the eyes of the law, ie, not being classed as disabled for the purposes of claiming benefits and stuff, but surely in this case they could show a little more compassion?

i understand that terminal and permantly disabled people may be upset by a non permanant disabled person being allowed in there area..

but when i know for certain that a person which i will not name is going and is camping in the disability area with there 'disability' this disability which allows them to walk the penine way twice a year without aid and yet come the time of year thry are due a new mobility car they are suddenly un able to walk... this person had no issue getting access to the area because they hold a blue disabled badge and are in recipt of benefits..

i am not in reciept of benefits nor do i want to claim them because i broke my ankle,

i just want to be able to manouvre easily around the site and have a nice easy access camping area..

if you have f**ked up your ankle that much maybe you should just not be going

they have a flatter camping ground with flooring walks to make sure wheel chairs and crutches work ok, and you can drive your car onto the camp site unload then go park it elsewhere, they have disabled toilets and i think showers someone said, and they have special routes to certain area's and veiwing platforms and area where you can stand to watch and not be squahshed and knocked into

they have a flatter camping ground with flooring walks to make sure wheel chairs and crutches work ok, and you can drive your car onto the camp site unload then go park it elsewhere, they have disabled toilets and i think showers someone said, and they have special routes to certain area's and veiwing platforms and area where you can stand to watch and not be squahshed and knocked into

GFL are entirely right. I think you'll find that those who would be most insulted (by someone without a permanent disability being gven access to resources meant for the permanently disabled) will be those with permanent disabilities. Resources are finite it is quite right and proper that priority should be given to those who permanent and in many cases, terminal conditions. You can go again, many of the people with disabilities who will go this year will not be given that opportunity.

This idea of rallying your cause to try and use public opinion to pressure the festival into reversing a decision theyve made doesnt sit well with me for some reason. Ultimately its a music festival which, regardless of what some people in here may say, is hardly a basic human neccesity. Its run by a company, sold as a service and has terms and conditions which are stated at the time. That you are unable to go due to personal injury is unfortunate but no different to someone who gets an incapacitating flu the day before or must attend a funeral or similar.

That the facilities to deal with an injury like yours exist in a limited form really doesnt change that as they are reserved for special cases which, Id say fortunately, you dont fall into. Their effectiveness needs to be mantained by a line being drawn and you fall outside it. Your circumstances are unfortunate but not unique and Im afraid you dont have any real convincing argument for an exception to be made other than you really like Glastonbury and youve asked a bunch of people on the internet to vouch for you.

Id advise you investigate alternatives to allow you experience some of the festival. Trying to get a loan of equipment to help would be a far better use of your time rather than trying to get a change made to the policies of the festival. This would only open the floodgates to people getting internet petitions together to change aspects to suit their personal situations... a path an organiser of any event would never take a step down.

Edited by snipe
  • Upvote 1

I can't see the difference between being permanently or temporarily disabled when it comes to access issues in public places. If you need a wheelchair or crutches then you are disabled and therefore should get the appropriate assistance in my opinion. I'd write to ME if I were you. Hope you can get there! ;)

This idea of rallying your cause to try and use public opinion to pressure the festival into reversing a decision theyve made doesnt sit well with me for some reason. Ultimately its a music festival which, regardless of what some people in here may say, is hardly a basic human neccesity. Its run by a company, sold as a service and has terms and conditions which are stated at the time. That you are unable to go due to personal injury is unfortunate but no different to someone who gets an incapacitating flu the day before or must attend a funeral or similar.

That the facilities to deal with an injury like yours exist in a limited form really doesnt change that as they are reserved for special cases which, Id say fortunately, you dont fall into. Their effectiveness needs to be mantained by a line being drawn and you fall outside it. Your circumstances are unfortunate but not unique and Im afraid you dont have any real convincing argument for an exception to be made other than you really like Glastonbury and youve asked a bunch of people on the internet to vouch for you.

Id advise you investigate alternatives to allow you experience some of the festival. Trying to get a loan of equipment to help would be a far better use of your time rather than trying to get a change made to the policies of the festival. This would only open the floodgates to people getting internet petitions together to change aspects to suit their personal situations... a path an organiser of any event would never take a step down.

This idea of rallying your cause to try and use public opinion to pressure the festival into reversing a decision theyve made doesnt sit well with me for some reason. Ultimately its a music festival which, regardless of what some people in here may say, is hardly a basic human neccesity. So it that the case for all disabled people then? Its run by a company, sold as a service and has terms and conditions which are stated at the time. That you are unable to go due to personal injury is unfortunate but no different to someone who gets an incapacitating flu the day before or must attend a funeral or similar. The flu doesnt mean you cannot filter around the park easily though does it. Whereas surely being on crutches and perhaps needing a wheelchair does.

That the facilities to deal with an injury like yours exist in a limited form really doesnt change that as they are reserved for special cases which, Id say fortunately, you dont fall into.So, because someone was born with a disability and cannot walk, thats ok is it. However, if you aquire a disability then thats hard luck? Their effectiveness needs to be mantained by a line being drawn and you fall outside it. Your circumstances are unfortunate but not unique and Im afraid you dont have any real convincing argument for an exception to be made other than you really like Glastonbury and youve asked a bunch of people on the internet to vouch for you.

I'm in agreement with Snipe. Accommodating people with disabilities is hard work in any setting, but at a busy festival it requires some real planning. It sounds like the festival are doing their bit and providing facilities, but they're limiting their usage to those with long-term registered disabilities. I can understand you feeling that this is unfair, but I can also understand why the Glasto organisers aren't prepared to take responsibility for a much wider group of people. As you've already pointed out with your example of the Pennine-walking, mobility-car driving chancer, give some people an inch and they'll take a mile - that's why the festival have to set a policy and stick to it.

One other observation... Glastonbury in a wheelchair is not a happy thought. You would be so limited as to where you could go, I'd question whether it would be worth going. Now crutches on the other hand are a different matter. It would take longer and a bit of effort, but you could get anywhere. So long as your leg is in a decent fibre-glass cast, it will be bomb-proof and your ankle will be completely immobilised. Take the crutches, and you can rely on everyone at the festival to carry your beer and generally be nice to you.

Do disabled people have to let the festival know they are disabled in advance? Surely some of them just turn up and expect use of the facilities. I can't see many stewards being evil enough to deny somebody who is blatantly having trouble getting around access to help+if the condition has to be permanent tell them you also have arthritis or something.

Do disabled people have to let the festival know they are disabled in advance? Surely some of them just turn up and expect use of the facilities. I can't see many stewards being evil enough to deny somebody who is blatantly having trouble getting around access to help+if the condition has to be permanent tell them you also have arthritis or something.
Edited by DiscoDolly

I voted ''yes'' miss star should have access to a miracle cure. ;)

Edited by Stashbox

I feel your pain, however I was fortunate[?!] enough to have broken my leg at the end of April. I received the same response from Glastonbury and felt that it was fair that the spaces were reserved for those in long term disabilities. I then weighed up returning my ticket but held out hoping that my cast would be removed and I would be given a weight bearing one in time.

My situation is somewhat different in that I would not have been in a wheel chair. I think by all accounts people will look out for you and help as much as you can and really, if you turn up to the disabled viewing area with your leg in a cast and in a wheel chair, are they really going to ask you if it's a long term disability?... actually perhaps they might, but i think it would be very against the principle of the festival.

As I was saying to my friends, they could just drop me off somewhere on a bit of grass where I can hear the music. My bro said he didnt care about seeing the bands anyway, we just want to soak up the atmosphere.

Give me a shout if you want to hook up and be invalids together. My leg looks like a matchstick!

hey everyone just got email back from claire at disability enquiries ,, shes offered me a disabled camping pass and a special car pass so i can egt close to camping ... yay glasto here i come