Flag Building tips

Guest thazlewood

Umm, at the risk of saying "mine's bigger than yours"...

Mine's bigger than yours.

Forget your telescopic fishing poles. The really easy way to get a really massive erection :P is to use tent poles - ya know, the twelve-in-a-set, each about-a-metre-long, threaded-together-by-a-long-bit-of-elastic that goes across the top of your tent...

Perhaps a £10er for the set, a trio of guy-ropes, and you're set to go. 8 metres high, 10 metres high, 12 metres - no problemo. Flexible, lightweight and the sections where they snap together make it very easy to attach guy-ropes, flags, lights, etc...

If only I had a piccie from previous years :(

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am undecided...would love to make a new flag but might have no time to design and paint one. And cash is tight for me, so should I invest in a new 4 meter pole or just get a replacement tip which is all I need for my 3 meter pole I already have. I have more than one Efest flag you see. Was even thinking of getting a banner flag too. Ordering it all today though so it can arrive whilst my parents are away in Spain for a week and I dont get shouted at for wasting money on festy shit. :P :lol

Decisions eh?

Oh and does anyone know if they are any good or has purchased those spikes for guys ropes from SkyBlue?

Edited by LusciousLucy

Really? I received my 5-metre pole today and I was wondering if I wouldn't have been better with a 6- or 7-meter. My brother and I have been discussing the possibility of strapping it to the gazebo to gain a little extra height. We must be distant relatives of Jeremy Clarkson, because bigger always equals better!

One question: I'm going to draw the design with permanent marker. For the text, does anyone know a way of stopping the ink showing through on the other side? I figure some kind of white fabric paint would do the trick, but has anyone actually tried?

I know what you mean, I thought my three-metre one was fine, but then I popped it up in the garden. with flag, and it just didn't seem high enough.

Could be the same with the five when I try it, possibly later, but I can't go any higher than that - surely?

Hmmm, not sure about the pen problem, I just let it show through. I think you're right though, you could print the design on one piece of material and maybe sew that onto your flag?

Umm, LL, looking at your sig - ain't it a bit late for that? :P:P

Quotey: Essential 94, 95, 96, 97 Reading 94 Glasto 95, 97, 98, 99, 2002, 03, 04 Phoenix 96, 97 Tribal Gathering 96 Big Love 96 Megadog 98 Creamfields 98 Dance Valley 98 Madstock 98 Fleadh 98 Homelands 99, 2000, 01, 02, 03 Lost Vagueness 2004 Glade 2005 GLADE 2006!!!!!!!!!! <<<<<<< Ticket order number 61! Yay! Rock-Ness and Global Gathering 06

Tested the four metre pole on the Downs today. Held up pretty well in a slight breeze, had a bit of an accident trying to take it apart, which has shaved a centimetre off the total height! Tested it with a pillow case and it flew well, so next step is to try it out with a larger size material, before painting the desing on. Thinking about 4ft by 3ft.

Tested the four metre pole on the Downs today. Held up pretty well in a slight breeze, had a bit of an accident trying to take it apart, which has shaved a centimetre off the total height! Tested it with a pillow case and it flew well, so next step is to try it out with a larger size material, before painting the desing on. Thinking about 4ft by 3ft.

Nice one. My 5' x 3' flag flew like a dream in a fairly enclosed garden with only a four-metre pole - you'll have no worries there I don't think in an open campsite.

Thanks for the pic of the pole Cheesey, looks like five was the right choice - I wanted it to be visible but not ridiculously tall!

Ordered a few things from skyblueleisure last night -

• 5 metre telescopic pole

• Ground spikes

• Flag Bungees

• Carry bag

• Plain Flag

• Vortex Spinner (pic below)

Vortex_sp-th.jpg

Plan is to have the eFestival's dancing man on the flag, but I have the artistic skills of a mouse.. hopefully someone will help.

Might use thar Rasterbator site to enlarge the image and draw round it

As much as I love Rasterbator, I don't think it's your friend in this case. You really want something with a nice sharp edge to trace and Rasterbator doesn't give you that. That said, it'll give you a rough shape to work. If you try it, report back to lets us know how you got on.

If someone sends me a high-ish resolution (say 600x800) copy of the eFestivals dude, I can chop it up into a pdf suitable for the 5'x3' flags. My email address is hal at halvin dot co dot uk (replacing 'at' -> @ and 'dot' -> .). I think 2 x 4 A4 sheets would do the trick.

As much as I love Rasterbator, I don't think it's your friend in this case. You really want something with a nice sharp edge to trace and Rasterbator doesn't give you that. That said, it'll give you a rough shape to work. If you try it, report back to lets us know how you got on.

If someone sends me a high-ish resolution (say 600x800) copy of the eFestivals dude, I can chop it up into a pdf suitable for the 5'x3' flags. My email address is hal at halvin dot co dot uk (replacing 'at' -> @ and 'dot' -> .). I think 2 x 4 A4 sheets would do the trick.

I'm thinking about getting the big 9 meter telescopic flag pole. Kind of having second thoughts, does anyone think it's a bit excessive? The idea is that i don't have to extend it all the way if it's too windy.

G