Flag Building tips

Guest thazlewood

Hi Guys

2005 was the first year that me and my friends bothered with a flag (for the campsite, not waving around in front of the stage!)... It was white and had a stickman type drawing with FUKENGRUVEN emblazoned across the bottom... We were in Big Ground in case any of you might have seen it... Anyway, I liked it!!

Anyhoo, it was a big success, useful for finding the campsite (we put a couple of flashing red bike lights at the top of the pole... useful for navigation back to the campsite in Big Ground in the dark etc etc!!) Last year, a few of us went against our better judgement and went to Oxegen in Ireland in lieu of Glasto, and some scum-sucking bottom-feeder stole the flag and the top couple of meters of the pole while we were away from the site. :OB)

Suffice to say, that as I created it, I will know if it ever turns up again, but in any case, I was just wondering if anyone has any favoured websites for buying flagpoles, stakes for securing them into the ground, devices for attaching the flag to the pole etc etc. Last time I had a 7 meter fishing pole from a Decathlon sports shop which was pretty good, and I bought the accessories from an online kite shop that someone recommended on here, but a few years later, and I can't for the life of me remember where it was!!

Any help/tips/pointers gratefully received!! And feel free to show your flags if you dare!!

Cheers

Toby

flag.jpg

Edited by thazlewood

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That fishing pole arrangement must have set you back a few quid mate? We've had flags nicked before, its a right pain. I usually go for a more modest banner type arrangement. Two sets of tent poles about six ft apart with double bed sheet stretched between them about 8ft off ground at top. Does the trick but not as impressive as yours.

That fishing pole arrangement must have set you back a few quid mate? We've had flags nicked before, its a right pain. I usually go for a more modest banner type arrangement. Two sets of tent poles about six ft apart with double bed sheet stretched between them about 8ft off ground at top. Does the trick but not as impressive as yours.

That's an awesome flag - and what a wicked picture! We're in the process of creating our flaggage, and were thinking of using a fishing rod so good to see it works.

Tell me more about the flag - in previous years we've done the bed sheet thing etc - what material is it? is it hand painted?

Cheers!

Here's my camp's flag from 2005 (being tested on Southsea common), which was altered slightly during the event to include an additional Welsh flag and a windsock too.

Slightly bored of it though - may try to apply a cheese related picture to the blue/white flag...

flag5lz.jpg

Edited by Cheesey

That's an awesome flag - and what a wicked picture! We're in the process of creating our flaggage, and were thinking of using a fishing rod so good to see it works.

Tell me more about the flag - in previous years we've done the bed sheet thing etc - what material is it? is it hand painted?

Cheers!

I have just ordered a bunch of stuff from them, (blank flag, 8m telescopic pole, stakes that you bang into the ground and then slide the pole over, and you attach the flag with toggles that Sky Blue also sell). I used duck tape around the joints of the pole to stop them slipping apart, and also fashioned some guy ropes from the middle of the pole to add stability and prevent it just lifting off the stakes (or from being lifted :OB) ).

I am looking at new designs now, but that one was done with permanent marker pens, which held up perfectly in the rain... I used some waterproof yellow acrylic paint too but you can't really see it on the picture. Just be sure to do the pen work in a ventilated room... I seem to remember it got a little 'hazy' for a while when I did that flag... 2 hours hunched over colouring in the letters!!

Nice one for the tips. I think we'll just get a telescopic pole having looked at the site. One of our camp is an artist so we can let her do all the hard work, I mean, design our flag... We've got a few ideas but not settled on anything yet.

The windsocks are great too. It's pretty cheap all in all, and worthwhile to stop yourself getting lost on Pennards!

The infamous LusciousLucy supermahoosive fluorescent yellow 10 foot wide Efestivals flag is some where in deepest East Sussex and has not been seen since 2004 due to silliness of aforementioned LusciousLucy NOT getting flag back off mate who kindly took it home for her...MUST remember to search him out!

SO a new flag had to be created last year for the Glade Efest campsite...now it was all a tad pirate crazy at Camp Efests at Glade so I went with the theme and came up with this bad boy!

178421846_b301c069ca_o.jpg

Please excuse the awful pun...I worked for HOURS on that one!!!

The flag will be at the Cider Bus Meet UNLESS I somehow magically locate lost chum and find he STILL has my lovely fluoro flags stashed at his house. :O

The infamous LusciousLucy supermahoosive fluorescent yellow 10 foot wide Efestivals flag is some where in deepest East Sussex and has not been seen since 2004 due to silliness of aforementioned LusciousLucy NOT getting flag back off mate who kindly took it home for her...MUST remember to search him out!

SO a new flag had to be created last year for the Glade Efest campsite...now it was all a tad pirate crazy at Camp Efests at Glade so I went with the theme and came up with this bad boy!

Please excuse the awful pun...I worked for HOURS on that one!!!

The flag will be at the Cider Bus Meet UNLESS I somehow magically locate lost chum and find he STILL has my lovely fluoro flags stashed at his house. :O

Edited by thazlewood

For a complete dummy, what would you need to hoist a basic flag 4 metres above your tent?

Obviously the flag, but specifically which poles, supports, etc...