Dragon Festival, S. Spain, FREE, late March 2007

Guest William of Walworth

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

Well, a few wweeks ago we heard from purlpower's musical partner ( a mate of my brother's) that Dragon Festival has been

SUSPENDED/CANCELLED

for 2009.

And the Dragon Festival news page confirms this :P:lol:-_-

Thanks to everyone who put their hands in their pockets for the Dragon Fest this year.

Over 5000 euros was raised in total, around 4000 of this money was already accounted for; about 2500 was spent on mostly on steward materials (although all the stewards did it for nothing), fencing and printing. Around 1500 has been mostly used for cleaning up the site after the festival.

The balance will be spent on some regeneration of Los Cigarrones and some will be saved for the Dragon Festival fund.

Unfortunately many residents of Los Cigarrones are against the Dragon Festival and it has been decided that the Dragon Festival will not take place in 2009.

• 5 months later...

sooooooooo.... have you seen this:

(taken from dragon website)....

<

News

Update 03 Feb 2009

There are loads of emails coming in asking whether the Dragon fest is on this year and it has been a bit of a confusing time, what with having to pacify the non-believers and hide the light under a bushel till the fuss died down.

Anyway the message emerging from that bushel is Yay, bring it on, come on down. Bring creative energy, take a little, give a little and please be prepared. Remember it can be boiling or pissin down. Bring a shovel and some drinking water and some bloody bin bags to clear up your mess.

Donations help so much, this festival mostly happens by people putting a lot of effort in, but a bit of cash for skip removal, first aid supplies, info leaflets, wouldn’t go amiss. Also anyone who has energy and enthusiasm for a kids area come on down (contact us and we will put you in touch with the other kids area people).

Thanks to everyone for continued support. Remember you can always give even more support by offering to help by digging, carrying, clearing up, stewarding. If you wanna do some of this please email us back.

The only things the dragon gets bad PR about is the amount of mess it creates, (so hey, lets not make any), the sound systems carrying on outside the festival times, (so lets not), and stupid parking.

If we don’t all work together there is a real danger that the Dragon will die. IT IS SO IMPORTANT TO KEEP THE FREE FESTI SCENE GOING.

Can’t wait to see y’all. xx

Will it - Won't it

Cigarrones may not be the best place for a festival. But what these 10-20 or so people have done by saying they don't want it is to stop the process that had begun over the last couple of years of trying to organise the festival.

Now there is no organisation whatsoever and people and rigs will come from all over Europe anyway.

Maybe it would have been better to work together to find a solution.

Last year we had stewards (we needed radios), we had first aid, we had rubbish collection, we had toilets and we did have 4x4's on standby to get out across the river if there was an emergency and we raised money to cover most costs and still have some in the pot for 2009.

It was in no way perfect, but it was a start.

If you would like to help with what was started last year, please donate or volunteer to help by email to builder(at)dragon-festival.com

>

William, Boris, get in touch with me if you're up for it again. I'll 95% definitely gonna make it there!!

*hugs*

m.x

Well, a few wweeks ago we heard from purlpower's musical partner ( a mate of my brother's) that Dragon Festival has been

SUSPENDED/CANCELLED

for 2009.

And the Dragon Festival news page confirms this :(:P:P

Tis a great shame, but from bits and pieces of reliable gossip I've heard, the growing size of the festival, maybe the noise, was increasingly pissing off some of the locals and local authorities. I didn't personally witness any especially bad behaviour by people this year, but there's no doubt that some peeps were inconsiderate to say the least -- litterwise etc. etc.

I hope the organisers are able to regroup, rethink, replan and maybe come back in a new way in 2010, maybe more scaled down, fewer heavy hardcore sound systems, less uncontrolled mayhem of numbers and traffic, more of an emphasis on community friendly aspects. The main people involved seem by many accounts to be full of creativity and ideas, so watch this space in 18 months time perhaps, I guess ... any revamped festival need not be a betrayal of Dragon's true spirit of free festival nature, just a few wings need to be clipped back maybe and different vibe emphasised.

Maybe time to consider Rocket next year .....

Hi again all!

Ive all so heard on the grapevine that the festival is on but with the full support of the back ground stars whom the dragon festival would never of exsited in the first place putting in the hard work and effort that goes in to making the best free festival with the most diverse and unusall fun loving spaces coming from all over europe to be apart of the festival that has become the dragon festival.

Please this year lets all make a stand! Take bin liners,water bog roll and making sure you use one of the compost toilets not the river or peoples gardens,taking what rubbish home! Also the most importent thing is bring a smile and lets just bring some love back to orgiva

• 2 weeks later...