ID Spiral in the dance village

Guest Field Commander Jefferson

For me the new Dance Village was the real new success story of the festival and the jewell in the crown was the "IDSpiral" area which was on the right hand side as soon as you entered the dance village through the large flaming arch.

Did anyone else go there much? My group found it a great place to hang out after the bands for a few hours and meet new friends and hook up with old ones sitting around the small lights and tables with candles on. The crystal dome area of it was also amazing, with it's psychadelic projections and ambient trippy dance music. This was a great place to hang out all night as the music never stopped and hours seemed to flow like minutes here...

Out of interest, was anyone else there on friday night when in one of the tents there these two girls suddenly put on an amazing shadow puppet show to the accompanying music. Man, that was something special to wander in there absolutely out of my mind :) and just sit and gaze in wonder at this spectacle which was just so perfect for that particular moment!

:)

i also loved this place, but got really pissed off when people kept stealing the mushrooms. it said quite plainly, DO NOT STEAL THE MUSHROOMS and every time my mates and i saw someone with one, we pulled them up about it and made them feel guilty about spoiling it for others. it was such a chilled out place. i loved it - my favourite wee spot of the festie!

I wandered staggered into the IDSpiral area after being marginally un-impressed with FourTet and was blown away by the mad trippy graphics on the screen and the pounding hypnotic beats eminating from the speakers. I lay down on the grass, skinned up a phat one and tranced out for at least 20 minutes, only to open my eyes and find it had gotten dark and the lanterns were all lit up and the helicopter pod type things that were suspended from fine wires were glowing under the UV lights (I hadn't noticed them before) and I thought I was seeing things :):)

Can anyone suggest any artists that play the type of music they had there most of the weekend, nothing instantly springs to mind

Edited by Chocky

was a most excellent place to hang out - I didn't notice the floating dandelion seeds till it got dark either, and I had to ask if they'd been there all along!

I was amazed that it stayed one of the driest and unspoilt areas on site - there was still grass around on sunday, inside the dome stayed dry too - although there was mud inside by the counter on friday

The whole dance village was great this year, though I agree that there needs to be a bit more space between the east and west coast tents

I reckon its fair to say ID spiral do the best chillout spaces ever. :)

Can't believe people were nicking the mushrooms though! :)

Can anyone suggest any artists that play the type of music they had there most of the weekend, nothing instantly springs to mind

I hope the ID Spiral lot know how appreciated their chill out area was.. :)

Those dandelion seed things were brilliant and the dangly mirror chains looked like permenantly falling glitter... AMAZING!! (I have one of those in a tree in my garden but it never looks as impressive as that!)

Shame the big long projection screen/white sheet thing didn't make it back up after the storm cos that looked cool too.

Edited by Pipine

absolutely loved ID spiral, it was my favourite bit of the whole site (even rivalling the stone circle for best chill-out space!). beautiful is the only word to describe it. i loved the little tables, complete with candles and ashtrays (ashtrays outside though, a bit strange) it was a real shame about people nicking the shrooms, but the freedom of being at glasto is a double-edged sword - people will yoink pretty much anything if it isnt nailed down.

did anyone notice the top-quality DJing going on there? the beautifully ambient beats were being spliced and played out through two different soundsystems - half of the tune would come from the crystal-maze dome thing, and the other half of the tune would boom out of the eerily-lit chillout domes across the field. absolutely amazing.

i was also surprised by the fact that the place never seemed full - there was always a space to crash out, and given the fairly small size of the place it gave it a warm cosy atmosphere.

didnt realise that it would be at the Glade this year, makes me even more gutted that the tickets have already sold out :'(

oh yeah, chocky, definately check out Hallucinogen in dub if you want some nice ambient ID spiral style beats, not sure what genge you'd call it, psydub maybe?

Have to agree, probably my favourite part of the whole festival this year. The whole amazing vibe surrounding it played a big part in renewing my love of glasto this time after not having that great a time in 2004. The hours really flew past there at night. Anybody have any idea who did the random acoustic set at about 4am on the sat night? Was really impressed, even if it interrupted the lovely chilled beats that were on before. Whatever music they were playing there just always seemed to suit the brilliant little magical mood of the place.

Totally agree this place was amazing. Spent a lot of time in there with my mouth open gently nodding along to the beats. Favourite was the saturday starting about 4pm.

On the type of music, someone gave me a brochure about pychadelic trance which I later gave to someone I was chatting to who really like Psych-trance, so some of it may have been that.

The acoustic political chap was David Rovics and I thought he was very good. Saw him again in Edinburgh at the closing rally of G8 alternatives.

+1 all.

fond memories of the ID Spiral, excellent tunes. Anyone remember a tune on the Sunday (?) about 15 mins long with a geezer giving it some chat along the lines of 'the matrix has you....if you work for amultinational company quit your jobh now...etc' ? Was most excellent. If anyone know what the tune was please let me know.

Hello to the 2 lovely ladies who were having a snog for a quid, most innovative!

• 1 year later...

Spiral at Glade last year was very cool as well, although the music was just too chilled. Even for a chillout zone in a gurners paradise. See no reason for it not too be back as the dance village does need realy need it. Like any club somewhere less hectic.

• 2 years later...