Rockaway Beach 2019

johnl

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been every year it's been on. Would now pretty much go regardless of the lineup. It's become an annual catch-up with friends from all over the UK. This year we paid £95pp for a gold apartment. You couldn't get a Travelodge for that. Never mind the bands.

As long as the good value remains, we'll keep going. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Latest announcement has just got me booked in and confirmed. £90 for three nights apartment and entry to the music with more TBA.

Bargain of the year?

& also the usual late night DJ slot from Steve Lamacq I believe?

Will be my first time, looking forward to it.

D20YbAcW0AAmY8r.jpg

I’ve always wondered how they keep it so cheap. I wonder if Butlins basically let them have the site for virtually nothing as it’s a time when nobody else would want it and Butlins make their money through food and drink sales? A lot of the bands on the bill each year are relatively ‘small’ and probably come very cheap. I book a small multi venue festival in Portsmouth called Dials and we have had a couple of the smaller bands that have done Rockaway and their fees were less than £200 or thereabouts. Obviously the headliners would be a lot more but even now someone like Fontaines DC being relatively new won’t be too expensive. Jesus & The Mary Chain would be somewhat different. Also as they only have 1 stage running with live music at any one time they put on far less bands than most festivals. So assuming they are getting the venue cheap I can see how it could possibly work economically.