server changes

I've ordered a new server today, which will mean efestivals will be offline for some (hopefully short) periods during the coming weeks as everything is moved across to it. Hopefully any off-line time will be overnight at weekends, but it's dependent on a number of different things.

I'll post dates & times when I know them.

Apologies in advance for any inconvenience.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Will keep my fingers crossed for you that all goes smoothly.

it's already gone badly - it ran out of disk space :lol:

Not all disk space, just on the partition used for migrating from the old server to the new one ... which means the disk partitions have to be rejigged, which the techies failed to do overnight. Ho-hum.

If that hadn't happened I'd be testing the new server right now, ready for deployment. Because of what happened last night its probably delayed the swap-over for a week. :(

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

it's already gone badly - it ran out of disk space :lol:

Not all disk space, just on the partition used for migrating from the old server to the new one ... which means the disk partitions have to be rejigged, which the techies failed to do overnight. Ho-hum.

If that hadn't happened I'd be testing the new server right now, ready for deployment. Because of what happened last night its probably delayed the swap-over for a week. :(

Do you know, I actually understand what you are talking about. For someone with my IT skills, this is a major achievement.

Anyway, I hope  the second run at it goes well for you.

I've just discovered that many of the programs used to run the main part of the website now have issues because of some updates to system software. 

If you encounter this issue, the only content within the the main body part of the page will be an upper-case or lower-case 'M'.

I've fixed all the instances I can track down easily, but I suspect there might be a few more lurking around.

So if you go to view a page or search result on this website and don't get the sort of output you were expecting to see, please let me know here, with details of the page (and if it was a search, what you were searching for).

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I need to run a database conversion, which is advised to do on a low traffic day. Saturday's are always quietest, so I'll start it very shortly.

Hopefully it won't cause any issues, but it might also cause the forums to be accessible at times so if that happens my apologies in advance.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...