TRNSMT Lineup 2019

5 minutes ago, zahidf said:

They are great but i doubt theyd risk it commercially. Maybe a smaller scottish festival will give them a chance first

since i made that post earlier I've had an electric field advert in my face (quite possibly related!), where it jumped out at me how they're a way down the bill at a very small festival.

So i'm definitely a bit premature, tho I do think they're more likely than most around at the mo to be heading towards very big.

18 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

since i made that post earlier I've had an electric field advert in my face (quite possibly related!), where it jumped out at me how they're a way down the bill at a very small festival.

So i'm definitely a bit premature, tho I do think they're more likely than most around at the mo to be heading towards very big.

I remember a few years ago Melvin Benn tipped them as future Reading and Leeds headliners. Has never booked them for Reading and Leeds though, confusingly.

I can't imagine Young Fathers ever having the big singles or radio play that is probably expected/required of a major festival headliner. In one or two albums time I could see them topping the lower level festivals but I think it'll stop there, and even then that's if interest in them continues. For me personally the new album is their best by some margin so hopefully they can continue that trend upwards without their quite specific sound becoming stale.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I like them a lot, but it feels like they're going to remain a cult concern.  They're just a bit too arty and angular for the mainstream to fully embrace them.

I think it's the arty and angular that will be their making (if it happens). They've got a way of presenting themselves live that would work really well on a big stage (which is pretty good going, cos there's fuck all going on really :lol:).

16 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I can't imagine Young Fathers ever having the big singles or radio play that is probably expected/required of a major festival headliner. In one or two albums time I could see them topping the lower level festivals but I think it'll stop there, and even then that's if interest in them continues. For me personally the new album is their best by some margin so hopefully they can continue that trend upwards without their quite specific sound becoming stale.

I think they're one of those bands where a few songs have gained widespread awareness without people necessarily knowing who the song is by, and one day the awareness of songs will be matched up with band awareness - at which point loads of people will be saying "I've always liked them a lot".

13 minutes ago, DomDom1984 said:

They don't even have two songs out there that people will know, let alone a few. Are you being paid to promote them or something?

Yeah I'm sure a couple of their songs have had semi-regular plays on 6music or something but I doubt anybody outside of that kind of audience knows those songs or has a clue who they are. Even their Mercury Prize win didn't do an awful lot to push them in to the mainstream so outside of changing up their sound for a wider audience I don't see them ever becoming close to a household name, and that's a good thing - they work so well as a cult act it'd be bizarre to see them get really big.

Edited by FloorFiller

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

i think they are playing eden project

On 24/03/2018 at 8:38 AM, FloorFiller said:

I think thorough their live shows alone they'll keep on building a following, not sure they'll ever be big enough to headline TRNSMT but who knows. 

Reckon we’ll get Muse, Kings of Leon and NGHFB. As much as Noel probably couldn’t headline this year if it was a 3 day festival, next year when he is playing much more limited shows (he’s playing 5 Scottish shows already) he’ll fit the bill. Also easy to get a strong line-up behind him - I’d guess we’ll get the likes of Travis (subbing) and Manic Street Preachers, plus younger bands also on the bill. 

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, harryomatic said:

I think it'll go back to 1 weekend next year.

Was there not something about the oo deal with the park not applying after 2018 so 2 consecutive weekends from next year was back in the mix.

Im only guessing but set up costs and the Council happy to take the money could mean 2 consecutive weekends and maybe a big single gig on the Wednesday. 

6 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

Was there not something about the oo deal with the park not applying after 2018 so 2 consecutive weekends from next year was back in the mix.

Im only guessing but set up costs and the Council happy to take the money could mean 2 consecutive weekends and maybe a big single gig on the Wednesday. 

Glastonbury’s return in 2019 will occupy that last weekend in June though, so assuming they’d avoid scheduling on that weekend then securing that first Saturday of July becomes very important again.