Going to the toilet during lessons.

Misskel

1 hour ago, Misskel said:

I am a primary school teacher year 3. I don't let children go to the loo during lessons. Would you be annoyed as a parent?

It depends on how rigorously you enforce the rule. If you don't allow it under any circumstances, then yes, I would be annoyed. Is you lesson directly after a break period?

Edited by Ommadawn

26 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

It depends on how rigorously you enforce the rule. If you don't allow it under any circumstances, then yes, I would be annoyed. Is you lesson directly after a break period?

I only allow it if they have e medical reason. I have the same class all day and they have a break before or after every lesson. They never go more than 2 hours with out an opputunity to visit the toilet.

1 hour ago, Misskel said:

I only allow it if they have e medical reason. I have the same class all day and they have a break before or after every lesson. They never go more than 2 hours with out an opputunity to visit the toilet.

Ok - I definitely wouldn't be annoyed then :)

What if one of them had undiagnosed Chrohns or Colitis? Not unheard of for kids to develop it at that age.

You don't know the childrens medical situation.

To be honest I don't understand how you have any right in restricting a child going to the loo. I would tell my child to pay absolutely no attention to you if they needed the loo and you culd take the issue up with me.

Edited by eastynh

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

What if one of them had undiagnosed Chrohns or Colitis? Not unheard of for kids to develop it at that age.

You don't know the childrens medical situation.

To be honest I don't understand how you have any right in restricting a child going to the loo. I would tell my child to pay absolutely no attention to you if they needed the loo and you culd take the issue up with me.

You can't teach a class if they are in the toilet. By ks2 they should remember to go at break and be able to hold it.

I can see how you'd need to have some sort of discipline in place when you're supervising children.

I'm not really happy with the idea of disallowing comfort breaks, however. If there's a reason the child hasn't been able to get to the toilet in break, having to hold on could cause stress and embarrassment. Why cause any negativity for a schoolchild, when education should be a positive experience?

As an adult, contact centre work is notorious for this, in my experience. it's degrading. People should be treated with dignity.

Being a bitch though, I'd justify what I'm doing in the loo in graphic detail. Two can play at that game.

are you trying to train the children for a contact centre role, by any chance?

:P

You might have disability discrimination issues to consider, too.

Edited by feral chile

This thread triggered a long forgotten memory.

Second year of primary we were allowed to get up and go to the bathroom without even putting our hands up to ask.

Third year with a different teacher, we were all extremely weirded out when we had to start asking if we could use the loo.

23 hours ago, Misskel said:

You can't teach a class if they are in the toilet. By ks2 they should remember to go at break and be able to hold it.

Do you have any idea what IBD is?

Put it this was when I am flaring I am lucky if I even make it to the toilet. It took a long long time for me to be diagnosed and I am currently looking at having my bowel removed.

Use your head. If someone is constantly asking to go to the loo then there may be issues.

Just think about what you are actually doing. You are stopping children going to the loo. 

On 17/02/2018 at 4:39 PM, feral chile said:

if you taught older kids, you'd have to consider periods.

I work in a school that is 11-19 and I've had a student come up to me and ask to go to the toilet. When I said she had to wait 5 mins until break she just said out loud, "I'm having a really heavy period." 

Talk about awkward.

Year 3 seems a bit young to me, years 5/6 I would expect that. So yes I would probably be annoyed as a mum. However I know some kids take the Michael and spend a long time rather than just getting the job done. 

Not good for anyone to hold it in, and sometimes if an infection/virus brewing they might need to go quickly or more often. Obviously encourage them to remember to do it at lunch and breaks, and if you get any constantly asking then check with their parents if there is a problem and if not advise you will start refusing? 

Well. I'm obviously at a 'Certain Age' but I honestly can't remember asking (or anyone else in my class asking) for a toilet break at primary school. We just waited. IBS didn't exist then, or if it did, wasn't recognised. I very much doubt if anyone was scarred in any way and the whole class progressed as one to the benefit of all.    

My son always used to get a dodgy tummy whenever he had teeth coming through. Still gets the occasional bout at 15 with his wisdom teeth coming through, and he dreads going to school then as obviously at that age not allowed out of lessons unless medical reason, plus hates having to use their loos for that purpose. Have to dose him up with Imodium which I dont like giving a 15 yr old or run the risk of him embarrassing himself at school.

I think the more interesting question here is why does Misskell/Gem/whatever they are calling themselves elsewhere feel the need to pose this question to strangers on ramdom forums? What are they hoping to get from this? Validation? An argument? Attention? 

Are they even really a teacher? I'm intrigued.