Plastic Bottle Ban?

vintagelaureate

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

there were queues in the heat in the 80s. No one died. :P

People used to manage fine. There's no reason why they can't again.

That's because we had plastic bottles filled with rough cider ;)

Plus late 80's early 90's there were many water bottles as the e generation kicked in. All very re-use though

Edited by fred quimby

I always bring 2 reusable bottle with me... fill 1 with water and 1 with my drink all weekend. 

But, i do decant my liquor from glass bottles into plastic bottles... I'm not sure what the fix would be for that? 

Overall i think the change is positive and necessary. Theyll also hopefully lead the way for other fests and venues to do the same. 

7 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I met a lady who was campaigning against the 'unnecessary use of plastic. She said that she was due to meet Emily Eavis for talks about it. This was a couple of years ago at the Shambala Festival. I wonder if it was her, and that she'd cracked it with the Eavis's?

doubt it. Seems pretty clear that the sudden movement from Glasto is prompted by the sudden movement against plastic.

16 hours ago, MetaKate said:

I always bring 2 reusable bottle with me... fill 1 with water and 1 with my drink all weekend. 

But, i do decant my liquor from glass bottles into plastic bottles... I'm not sure what the fix would be for that? 

Overall i think the change is positive and necessary. Theyll also hopefully lead the way for other fests and venues to do the same. 

All my booze (spirits) are decanted into these bottles

https://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-tritan-bottle-1l-787160?colcode=78716022

Once empty (which is usually pretty quick) they can be used for water/ other drinks.

10 hours ago, eFestivals said:

doubt it. Seems pretty clear that the sudden movement from Glasto is prompted by the sudden movement against plastic.

Maybe. This lady was quite a posh lady and spoke as if Michael and Emily were friends. Maybe they did ignore her then, but used her knowledge for this move. She said she was responsible for the plastics strategy at the Shambala festival, so she obviously moves in those kind of circles,  and has influence.  

9 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Maybe. This lady was quite a posh lady and spoke as if Michael and Emily were friends. Maybe they did ignore her then, but used her knowledge for this move. She said she was responsible for the plastics strategy at the Shambala festival, so she obviously moves in those kind of circles,  and has influence.  

oh, i'm sure Glasto has ideas pitched at them all the time, tho I wouldn't be surprised if Glasto first thought of banning plastic bottles decades ago, same as they're always reviewing the waste issues.

for the last few festivals they've had a go at reducing disposable beer cups - tho with limited success, which shows how tough it is to do for an event the scale of Glasto, and with the different sort of punters Glasto has.

The difference is that there's now a different public attitude towards plastic, which makes it easier to work a no-plastic policy on "the different sort of punters Glasto has" as well as the more-ecologically aware ones.

28 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

oh, i'm sure Glasto has ideas pitched at them all the time, tho I wouldn't be surprised if Glasto first thought of banning plastic bottles decades ago, same as they're always reviewing the waste issues.

for the last few festivals they've had a go at reducing disposable beer cups - tho with limited success, which shows how tough it is to do for an event the scale of Glasto, and with the different sort of punters Glasto has.

The difference is that there's now a different public attitude towards plastic, which makes it easier to work a no-plastic policy on "the different sort of punters Glasto has" as well as the more-ecologically aware ones.

Yes, I thought it would have been an area that Glasto would have considered many years ago.

31 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

To (un?)fair, their attempts to reduce the disposable beer cups have appeared fairly half-hearted.  I know it's much harder for somewhere like Glastonbury than say, Latitude to get rid of them entirely, but even in 2017, it didn't feel like a huge amount of effort has been put into the endeavour. 

On 2/22/2018 at 2:43 PM, Apone said:

Plastic still has a place on the planet and will never be eradicated

Well, not until it essentially runs out.

Even if you're not environmentally conscious, it'll only be fifty years or so before we're looking back in disbelief at how much we wasted such a limited resource on just packaging. 

we have 2 x 2 litre hip flasks we fill with vodka each year - they slip nicely inside the back of a rucksack. Mixers will be a problem though....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dzine-TRTAZ11A-Giant-Flask-1-9L/dp/B0045V2EDG/ref=sr_1_2/261-3197497-1553750?ie=UTF8&qid=1519902591&sr=8-2&keywords=giant+hip+flask

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

What does "banned" mean?  Presumably traders will be unable to sell them, but will there also be checks like Glasto has for glass?

I doubt they'll be doing checks, but they're saying they're banned and for peeps to bring re-usable bottles (or buy one there). They've included saying that it applies to staff and artists too.

I guess there'll be particularly hard stares at anyone who has one. :P

Edited by eFestivals