Plastic Bottle Ban?

vintagelaureate

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Plastic is destroying the planet. Just as with climate change we're far far too late over something we've always known, but the sooner and stronger its addressed the better - and that should mean no disposable plastic, for anything.

I can't disagree with that.  It feels like the focus on climate change as the number one environmental threat has dominated the discourse so much that other issues like a massive island in the ocean made of plastic haven't been on people's minds.

I don't know if it's a coincidence that the stunning success of renewables in the last few years has coincided with mainstream attention on environmental issues that are not solely about the carbon footprint.  Either way, I'm glad it's starting to happen.  Filling a massive bin full of plastic every couple of weeks can't be good.

12 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I can't disagree with that.  It feels like the focus on climate change as the number one environmental threat has dominated the discourse so much that other issues like a massive island in the ocean made of plastic haven't been on people's minds.

I don't know if it's a coincidence that the stunning success of renewables in the last few years has coincided with mainstream attention on environmental issues that are not solely about the carbon footprint.  Either way, I'm glad it's starting to happen.  Filling a massive bin full of plastic every couple of weeks can't be good.

over 20 years ago i worked with a guy whose sister lived in Germany (much MUCH less common then than now).

He was always going on about how Germany (perhaps just one of its federal states, i'm not sure) had introduced a law that obliged any retail outlet to take back the packaging of the products it had sold.

People were (apparently) taking back all of the packaging from their weekly shop to the supermarket.

It doesn't take much imagination to realise just how quickly those supermarkets reduced the packaging.

We need something similar here! Fuck Iceland and their 5-years (and that's the 'good guy' :blink:), with a law like that they'd do it in five weeks 

Surely the only way this can work is if they offer some cheap recyclable alternative. Is there such a thing available yet? Cardboard cartons for supermarket juice etc are covered in plastic so that's no good. I'm sure there are packaging companies working furiously right now to invent mass market eco friendly products, big money to be made.

In the meanwhile they can't expect everyone to use metal bottles at a fiver each surely. I mean I would, but many wouldn't.

Can see how plastic bottle are a problem to solve though, we usually get through shit loads of them over the weekend. Bring at least 8 in and then buy a few about the place each day.

Edited by Junglist1981
words and that

12 minutes ago, Junglist1981 said:

Yeah alright mr patronising.

Maybe they did once upon a time, but today everyone is very used to using plastic bottles to the point that simply removing them would just create problems. 

first world problems, which deserve patronising! :P

C'mon, you can organise your life enough to have a piss when needed. The same really isn't difficult for taking fluids in, either.

If we give exemptions just because some people think a very minor but inconsequential change of lifestyle is too difficult, we don't go anywhere. 

I take a lenor bottle in to the festival which has been used already .... use it at the festival which to me late at night proves very useful ... and take it home again after ... surely encouraging reuse is also a positive (or not so much of a negative ) to the environment ? and im not sure the argument about having a piss when needed ? if it all goes in the same troughs or long drops anyway ? 

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I was just pointing out that a person can take water on board periodically (rather than carry a bottle), just as people piss periodically.

The bottle of water thing is a fashion, not a necessity.

isn't drinking from some kind of vessel a necessity ? maybe not plastic but keeping hydrated very important especially in some of the hotter years ... without the bottled water some may have been in trouble in the queue last year 

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

isn't drinking from some kind of vessel a necessity ? maybe not plastic but keeping hydrated very important especially in some of the hotter years ... without the bottled water some may have been in trouble in the queue last year 

there were queues in the heat in the 80s. No one died. :P

People used to manage fine. There's no reason why they can't again.

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

without the bottled water some may have been in trouble in the queue last year 

That's presumably a good example of what Emily is referring to when she says that it's a big task.

Because of the convenience / flexibility, having a few cases of bottled water to hand can negate the need to have the plumbed water system in a lot of places. Removing that means that a lot more taps will need to be installed especially on the far reaches of the site where the water network doesn't currently go.

7 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

there were queues in the heat in the 80s. No one died. :P

Though of course you'd be queueing for 5 minutes on a Thursday afternoon before calmly strolling up to the Pyramid and plonking your tent in front of it 

3 hours ago, The Nal said:

Pissing into plastic bottles in the dark in tents as opposed to going to the nearby toilet is animal behaviour. 

I disagree. To me it's quite logical and efficient. I'm of the opinion that people who get up from sleeping, put their clothes on then their boots on, then walk to the nearest loo, just to have to do the whole process again but in reverse, are inefficient time wasters. What's more is that it's easier to drift back in to much needed sleep if you piss in to a bottle in the tent, than it is after kind of waking up fully by going to the nearest loo. I've done both but am very much a Lenor bottle convert, after seeing the light. 

• Like 1

It is the use of single use plastic bottles which are just disposed of when the contents are consumed, people will have to alter the way they consume water and other products (take away coffee beakers from Starbucks etc).Change is on its way and they will be outlawed soon,  both major parties are committed to it so we may as well start doing it

Edited by Apone

3 minutes ago, Apone said:

It is the use of single use plastic bottles which are just disposed of when the contents are consumed, people will have to alter the way they consume water and other products (take away coffee beakers from Starbucks etc).Change is on its way and they will be outlawed soon,  both major parties are committed to it so we may as well start doing 

single use is of course the worst culprit, but all of the same things apply to all plastics.

I'm not thinking we'll cut out plastics altogether, but there's still a huge amount of use where alternatives are easily available. For instance, the plastic that gets used on herris fencing around toilets - could be (for example) hessian.

We need to be re-thinking everything, but being smart with that too (rather than religiously anti-plastic). I'm using a plastic beer beaker from a festival for water right now, and plastic is bad ... but this cup already exists and there's no benefit in destroying it early.

14 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

single use is of course the worst culprit, but all of the same things apply to all plastics.

I'm not thinking we'll cut out plastics altogether, but there's still a huge amount of use where alternatives are easily available. For instance, the plastic that gets used on herris fencing around toilets - could be (for example) hessian.

We need to be re-thinking everything, but being smart with that too (rather than religiously anti-plastic). I'm using a plastic beer beaker from a festival for water right now, and plastic is bad ... but this cup already exists and there's no benefit in destroying it early.

Plastic still has a place on the planet and will never be eradicated though its use now does need to be controlled. The future will be re-use, not re-cycle, and yes other products will have to be brought back into play such as glass, paper and natural textiles