Plastic Bottle Ban?

vintagelaureate

Surely it means sale of plastic bottles onsite not can’t be brought in. So many things you take in will be in plastic bottles, even down to hand sanitizer and sun tan lotion, and people who are in camper vans will have a lot more plastic. The only thing I buy in plastic bottles there are soft drinks from the ice cream vans, suppose these could be changed to cans but I like to mix mine with whiskey and sip it over a few hours, not as good in a can. Will take a bit of though for the food stalls as I’m sure they have loads of things in bottles

I’ve never felt the need to piss in my tent either. But anyway realistically they can’t stop punters from bringing in plastic bottles. I think they’ll just stop traders from selling anything in plastic bottles, that shouldn’t be too much of a problem? Every soft drink can be got in a can and people will just have to bring reusable containers and use the water points. Which is what we should be doing anyway.

Forgot to say - Lenor bottle, Comfort bottle, or even a 4 pint empty milk bottle, does the trick for me. I don't see the funny side of having to get up, dressed, put boots on in the middle of the night to just have a piss. Far better to piss in a bottle, and then empty it out in the morning. Mind you, I'll have you know that I have managed to piss almost everywhere in the tent, on a number of occasions, while trying to piss in to a bottle, in the dark. 

I do find this quite weird. I mean, people do understand that plastic bottles are reusable too right? I mean not indefinitely but they will last a festival. I keep my water in a plastic bottle and refill it from the taps...

I also think they will need more water points if they do this. There aren’t really many around the stalls areas. And essentially everyone who was previously buying bottled water will be joining the queues for the taps, which can already get quite bad.

18 hours ago, DeanoL said:

I do find this quite weird. I mean, people do understand that plastic bottles are reusable too right? I mean not indefinitely but they will last a festival. I keep my water in a plastic bottle and refill it from the taps...

I also think they will need more water points if they do this. There aren’t really many around the stalls areas. And essentially everyone who was previously buying bottled water will be joining the queues for the taps, which can already get quite bad.

Yeah, I usually buy one large bottle of water on site and just refill that over the course of the festival. Also usually buy a big bottle of pop to share with my friend (for some reason it's become part of our routine over the years!). I can't really see them banning pop from those shops, though I'd be happy having them go back to selling cans of pop instead of bottles- companies only brought in those small bottles of pop so they could charge more.

On 18/02/2018 at 3:40 PM, DeanoL said:

I think the reason that plastic bottles are discouraged is that, eventually, they end up in a bin.

5 hours ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

So I suppose the two litre bottles of Brothers won't be making a comeback after all then!

I miss these so much , it was a great part of the festival .

they can't ban full plastic, as people have said , sun tan lotion and so on. I also have one of them collapsible water carriers that is made out of plastic. I know not technically a bottle but who draws the line where?

Some clarity on whether it means a total ban on punters bringing plastic bottles in and/or vendors selling them would be good but we have just under 500 days to come up with alternatives, if necessary. Better than dropping it on us in June 2019. Hopefully, me having to deal with this issue next year means I have a ticket and I'd gladly take that

• Like 1

On 16/02/2018 at 2:58 PM, eFestivals said:

I'm thinking it can only be the sale of plastic bottles &/or disposable plastic bottle - cos plenty of people will be using their own plastic refillables, i'd think.

But yeah, if we can kill off the thing for plastic bottles of water that would be fabulous. Bottled water is the world's biggest scam anyway.

The developed worlds biggest scam, not everywhere has drinkable tap water 

20 minutes ago, UEF said:

Despite how it may feel at times, Glastonbury is within the developed world, and most of its attendees spend their time within it. 

You misunderstand my comment. I was replying to efestivals comment that bottled water is the worlds biggest scam and saying that it’s the developed worlds biggest scam, some places rely on bottled water. 

50 minutes ago, Smeble said:

You misunderstand my comment. I was replying to efestivals comment that bottled water is the worlds biggest scam and saying that it’s the developed worlds biggest scam, some places rely on bottled water. 

and yet less than 30 years ago the whole world managed without bottled water. - which suggests they've been scammed no less than anyone else.

meanwhile, the wife said to me last night "we've just woken up to 'all plastic is bad', yet everyone has known that for the last 40+ years".

Us humans, we're fucking stupid. :(

I suppose it just a feature of the disposable society in which we live . I ve just come to mend a light that ive been meaning to do for a few weeks and found a sealed plug unit I can't get into ... it ridiculous probably just the fuse thats gone .... but my eyes have been definitely opened recently and even knowing the bad of plastics, ive  not made the conscious effort im going to now . My company do not sell paper straws ... and being the person who puts the plastic ones on the shelves has made me hate what im doing for a very very big company so an email is going off to the buyer and the ceo !! lets hope little crazy me can make some kind of difference 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

and yet less than 30 years ago the whole world managed without bottled water. - which suggests they've been scammed no less than anyone else.

meanwhile, the wife said to me last night "we've just woken up to 'all plastic is bad', yet everyone has known that for the last 40+ years".

Us humans, we're fucking stupid. :(

I'm not convinced.  Sounds a bit like "In my day, we didn't have any nut allergies"  Except there have always been nut allergies, people died more often.  Bottled water can play a genuinely useful role.

18 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm not convinced. 

Surely you can remember a UK without bottled water? And that it's a luxury over other sources of water? Do you think the developing world was buying luxuries?

Sounds a bit like "In my day, we didn't have any nut allergies"  Except there have always been nut allergies, people died more often. 

death from drought has always been a relative rarity thank gawd, even in dry countries. 

Another method of storing and transporting water improves things in emergencies, of course, but ...

Bottled water can play a genuinely useful role.

It depends on the 'bottle'.

Plastic is destroying the planet. Just as with climate change we're far far too late over something we've always known, but the sooner and stronger its addressed the better - and that should mean no disposable plastic, for anything.