Plastic Bottle Ban?

vintagelaureate

I've just come across this: 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/emily-eavis-reveals-enormous-glastonbury-1223103.amp

Essentially, if true, they are hoping to implement a site wide plastic bottle ban. I'm guessing this will apply to ticket buyers as well...

1 minute ago, vintagelaureate said:

I've just come across this: 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/emily-eavis-reveals-enormous-glastonbury-1223103.amp

Essentially, if true, they are hoping to implement a site wide plastic bottle ban. I'm guessing this will apply to ticket buyers as well...

I'm thinking it can only be the sale of plastic bottles &/or disposable plastic bottle - cos plenty of people will be using their own plastic refillables, i'd think.

But yeah, if we can kill off the thing for plastic bottles of water that would be fabulous. Bottled water is the world's biggest scam anyway.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

draft only?

works for other drinks at the bars, why not soft drinks too?

I guess its possible .. but difficult I would imagine to cover all the brands that the icecream vans and on site supermarkets would sell .. but yes why not cut the range for a very good cause 

I always used to rock up to Glastonbury in my caravan and happily boast to the stewards "no glass".  If you have to say "no plastic" too it will get silly.  All our stuff like cooking oils was decanted into re-used plastic bottles.  Surely there's nothing wrong with a limited number of plastic bottles as long as you re-use them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Are you guys really pissing into Lenore bottles at nighttimes? This is a thing that's always bemused me a bit, idk if it's real or an in joke

Its actually a fantastic idea if nature catches you out, but it's always a very last resort because it is fucking strange, yeah 

36 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Why not just piss before you go to bed? Is this a drugs side effect I'm too square to know about?

Well yeah, but that's what I mean by getting caught out. And I've been caught short on a comedown before too yeah. Also good in the pissing rain. 

oh my lenor bottle is always a must in the packing list .4am, rain battering down , drink fueled long drop compass malfunction etc ,bloody godsend.

Also find if you dont quite rinse all the conditioner out it makes your trouser chum lovey and soft and smelling of some heather clad glen. whats not to like :D  

• Upvote 1

Saw this in the paper today and did wonder whether it meant stalls/bars selling plastic bottles or public bringing bottles in as well. Obviously environmentally I agree 100%, as well as reducing the litter problem there as well, but a lot of people decent their spirits or wine etc into plastic bottles so will it need to move in the direction of other festivals where purchasing from bars is only option? I guess large flasks an option.

10 minutes ago, slash's hat said:

Saw this in the paper today and did wonder whether it meant stalls/bars selling plastic bottles or public bringing bottles in as well. Obviously environmentally I agree 100%, as well as reducing the litter problem there as well, but a lot of people decent their spirits or wine etc into plastic bottles so will it need to move in the direction of other festivals where purchasing from bars is only option? I guess large flasks an option.

Was thinking the same.I totally admire their vision, as in most things they do.Its a challenge for them but would be just like them to lead the way in this for festivals world wide.I think recyclable container technology is bound to grow exponentially with the growing concern on this issue over next 10 years .But meantime step by step in roads will be required .

I am a bit worried about how it affects some of the ways we do Glastonbury - e.g. How to bring spirits in, what to do about the mixers....and of course the Lenor bottle. Nonetheless, it's something Glastonbury should be looking at because there is always a lot of plastic waste on site, and realistically, I should be more concerned about the future of the planet than whether I have to find an alternative 3am tent toilet!

The good thing is that it already has us all thinking about how we will get round our plastic use for that week in June.

It is definitely a challenge!