arctic monkey shows

eFestivals

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

15,000, perhaps bigger, more than one stage. Arcadia's 2nd stage has a 5,000 capacity.

So for a single stage show there's probably room for 20,000 or more I guess ... and i guess it might work out a lot cheaper than using the stadium too.

Can only assume that the decision to play in September is to ensure the album is out before they play. Otherwise why not do it earlier in the summer when stadia/parks/festivals are all easy to play? Not as if they'd struggle to sell out a few stadiums and/or park dates.

Why a 20k tent and not an arena? Costs might be a factor but that seems bizarre given they'll inevitably be selling tickets for £70 a pop. Artistic decision perhaps?

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

15,000, perhaps bigger, more than one stage. Arcadia's 2nd stage has a 5,000 capacity.

So for a single stage show there's probably room for 20,000 or more I guess ... and i guess it might work out a lot cheaper than using the stadium too.

Are you very confident in the information you had about London dates? Would they do these big outdoor gigs in Sheffield and London?

As @JBarbour has said they've used to QE park for Wireless, Hard Rock Calling (I think the year Kasabian did it?) and a number of other fests so they potential capacity is huge, probably 60k+ (assuming London is open air)? 

When I was told to expect parks rather than stadiums it was made to sound like a decision they'd made themselves. I reckon stadiums just aren't appealing to them - they could've played them before (clearly, because they sold out Finsbury quickly) and haven't and now looks like they're turning down the opportunity again. They're definitely at the best when the shows are more intimate so playing a large number of nights under a tent seems to be the best decision IMO. 

28 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Are you very confident in the information you had about London dates? 

yeah - tho the info was pretty vague, just that they're playing 'London Stadium' towards the end of the summer.

The source it came from is someone I've known for years and who is very well connected so it's unlikely to be wrong (but it's always possible).

7 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

As @JBarbour has said they've used to QE park for Wireless, Hard Rock Calling (I think the year Kasabian did it?) and a number of other fests so they potential capacity is huge, probably 60k+ (assuming London is open air)? 

50,000 I think it was when LN/FR used it, most of the park was being used though (multiple stages). So if just one stage I'd expect the capacity to be lower. 

Same as Hillsborough the maximum capacity is 40,000 with multiple stages but is there is just one stage/tent I'd expect it to be lower. Maybe even half. 

Just now, JBarbour said:

50,000 I think it was when LN/FR used it, most of the park was being used though (multiple stages). So if just one stage I'd expect the capacity to be lower. 

Same as Hillsborough the maximum capacity is 40,000 with multiple stages but is there is just one stage/tent I'd expect it to be lower. Maybe even half. 

Those events had uncontested headliners tho, so the capacity would've been basically however many people the main stage can hold. 

In Sheffield the thing limiting the capacity is gonna be the tent 

6 minutes ago, JBarbour said:

Capacity and how many tickets a promoter / organiser think they can sell are two different things. 

Well yeah but what I'm saying is if those festivals had a 50k capacity it's because the main stage held 50k - the other stages are irrelevant. 

So it's possible to have a 50k event their if AMs feel like they can pull that off.

13 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

Well yeah but what I'm saying is if those festivals had a 50k capacity it's because the main stage held 50k - the other stages are irrelevant. 

So it's possible to have a 50k event their if AMs feel like they can pull that off.

It's not quite that. The main stage may play a big role in capacity. Maybe at smaller events more so than large events. 

But the pyramid stage field at Glasto for example can't hold 135,000 never mind all the extra staff and guests that add to the capacity. 

Boomtown's Lions den stage doesn't hold the capacity of the full event. 

Have to take into consideration additional stages and other entertainment on offer. Crowd management 

Edited by JBarbour

1 minute ago, JBarbour said:

It's not quite that. The main stage may play a big role in capacity. Maybe at smaller events more so than large events. 

But the pyramid stage field at Glasto for example can't hold 135,000 never mind all the extra staff and guests that add to the capacity. 

Boomtown's Lions den stage doesn't hold the capacity of the full event. 

I know but that's different because the headliners clash. At an event like Hard Rock Calling and Wireless (in the past, I dunno how it works now) - where the headliner is playing with nobody else on - they're not going to let 50k in but then close off the main stage at 35k leaving 15,000 people to stand around at empty stages are they? :P 

4 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

I know but that's different because the headliners clash. At an event like Hard Rock Calling and Wireless (in the past, I dunno how it works now) - where the headliner is playing with nobody else on - they're not going to let 50k in but then close off the main stage at 35k leaving 15,000 people to stand around at empty stages are they? :P 

So saying that, as far as I know the headliners and multiple stages are running for the whole time at Tramlines and the capacity is 40,000. 

So the capacity at a one stage event at Hillsborough Park I would expect to be lower. I've been to the site, if they plan on having 40k on the main stage field they gonna have problems

2 hours ago, the wonderwhy said:

When I was told to expect parks rather than stadiums it was made to sound like a decision they'd made themselves. I reckon stadiums just aren't appealing to them - they could've played them before (clearly, because they sold out Finsbury quickly) and haven't and now looks like they're turning down the opportunity again. They're definitely at the best when the shows are more intimate so playing a large number of nights under a tent seems to be the best decision IMO. 

They’ve come out in the past and said they don’t like seated venues. I know they play seated arenas but they wouldn’t do them if they didn’t have to. Their first arena tour was at Manchester Central , Alexandra Palace and Aberdeen AECC which are all standing. There’s just no enough all standing venues around the country to do that so they’ve had to budge and do arenas. I can’t see them going for stadiums when the options there to go for all standing field shows. 

Edited by stylishkids

On 19/02/2018 at 1:06 PM, stylishkids said:

They’ve come out in the past and said they don’t like seated venues. I know they play seated arenas but they wouldn’t do them if they didn’t have to. Their first arena tour was at Manchester Central , Alexandra Palace and Aberdeen AECC which are all standing. There’s just no enough all standing venues around the country to do that so they’ve had to budge and do arenas. I can’t see them going for stadiums when the options there to go for all standing field shows. 

When they played early court they had a lot more seating than arcade fire and bloc party had no seating there. They could have changed their minds since about seating

3 minutes ago, Samjones said:

True, hopefully that’s the case, wouldn’t be suprised if they said not to 4 nights (especially one of the nights being a thursday)

for all we know, that might have been a deliberate tactic - where they get to increase the capacity for the other nights if they lose a show, when they might not have got that bigger capacity otherwise.

The people who do lots of licences are likely to know the best ways to play the system, after all.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

for all we know, that might have been a deliberate tactic - where they get to increase the capacity for the other nights if they lose a show, when they might not have got that bigger capacity otherwise.

The people who do lots of licences are likely to know the best ways to play the system, after all.

True, I still think two weekends (Friday and Saturday ) in September with smaller capacities would work better than 3 nights of larger capacity