Summer Sessions 2018

Stuart1000

2 hours ago, MinionDave said:

Princes Street Bandstand is only around the 2,500 limit, thats for the concrete based area.  If you also add in the grassy area then it's a bit over 10,000 in total.  Downside to the venue is that its on quite a steep hill, so not ideal for any bands with bouncy fans - easy to jump and land 20' forward.

Dont know Edi enough if there would be other better locations for outside concerts (excluding murrayfield and hibs/hearts) that tick the in-the-city criteria, anyone got ideas ?

For the Glasgow ones there is quite a tight limit on access to the park, so it really has to be done  between 2 weekends, so most likely to be some of the nights between Fri 24th Aug & Sun 2nd Sep.  who else would be available then and could get good sales for the 35,000 capacity ?

ta, D

Meadowbank stadium used to be decent for outdoor gigs in the T on the Fringe days

5 hours ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Whats the difference with VIP tickets and furthermore will Kendrick day sell out in your opinion?

I wouldn’t imagine it’ll get anywhere close to a sell out.

I would like to know what the VIP ticket gets you though. What was the set up last year? Do you get access to the front, or does your extra cash just pay for an exclusive bar and fancy toilets?

12 hours ago, IAN9000 said:

I wouldn’t imagine it’ll get anywhere close to a sell out.

I would like to know what the VIP ticket gets you though. What was the set up last year? Do you get access to the front, or does your extra cash just pay for an exclusive bar and fancy toilets?

Ticketmaster says bar and toilets, I would like to believe it won't sell out (as I need to hold off buying a ticket for a couple weeks) but I think you might be underestimating his popularity a little. Does anyone know long Eminem took to sell out last year?

41 minutes ago, addicted2noise said:

Ticketmaster says bar and toilets, I would like to believe it won't sell out (as I need to hold off buying a ticket for a couple weeks) but I think you might be underestimating his popularity a little. Does anyone know long Eminem took to sell out last year?

I wasn't there but I'm pretty sure Emimem sold out within a couple of weeks.

VIP for this is usually your own area behind & to the side of the stage, with better toilets and bars, not as busy and you get to "feel like you are backstage".  In reality you are to the side of the stage, stage left, there is a wee "VIP Entrance" that takes you there.  You cant see the stage from that area.

There's never been a separate ticketed golden circle for these gigs, just the usual first come first in and they close it when full, think it should be around 8~10k in that area from what i remember the size is.

chiefski - thought they were doing up Meadowbank just now, but that might just be the main building, not over there much just now.  just checked and it's closed until 2020 so unlikely to be there....  https://www.edinburghleisure.co.uk/meadowbank2020

ta, D

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MinionDave said:

VIP for this is usually your own area behind & to the side of the stage, with better toilets and bars, not as busy and you get to "feel like you are backstage".  In reality you are to the side of the stage, stage left, there is a wee "VIP Entrance" that takes you there.  You cant see the stage from that area.

There's never been a separate ticketed golden circle for these gigs, just the usual first come first in and they close it when full, think it should be around 8~10k in that area from what i remember the size is.

chiefski - thought they were doing up Meadowbank just now, but that might just be the main building, not over there much just now.  just checked and it's closed until 2020 so unlikely to be there....  https://www.edinburghleisure.co.uk/meadowbank2020

ta, D

From what I'm aware meadowbank hasn't been used for some time now, think the last big gig there may have been Elton John or someone like that, great back in the mid-late 00's though, saw Pixies (Idlewild and Teenage fanclub supporting), Muse (with My Chemical Romance) Radiohead (with Beck) and Foo Fighters (with Nine inch nails) all there, different era then, don't even get that many concerts during the fringe now in comparison, hopefully the summer sessions changes that

10 hours ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

If another R+L headliner rolls up to knock at the door, could be KoL, aye. If - and big if I suppose - they're pedaling new material, then 35,000 could be a shout for The 1975. Imagine they're being teed up for a similar size of events in 2019.

the 1975 have said that theyre not ready to tour till october so we're safe for a year 

13 hours ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

So if you have to do a good guess, who do you think will headline Edinburgh and the other dates?

For Glasgow, I still think Calvin Harris and Foo Fighters. Probably Kings of Leon too.

Edinburgh is harder because of the smaller capacity and the fact that Kelvingrove has so many bands booked that won’t play both.

I’m just praying they’ve snapped up Arcade Fire since they are in Europe at the start of August anyway. 

6 minutes ago, chickenfire said:

Very true but the same artist, playing the same bit of grass, only 8 months apart is still a bit strange! 

I could point out that neither of them are relying on purely his name to sell the tix - because NYE is NYE, and summer sessions are designed to tap-in to the Edinburgh Festival crowd.

I've no idea who'd buy a R'nB-Man ticket, but I don't know who'd buy a Polonium ticket either - and she's one of the most popular acts in the country. :wacko:

Edited by eFestivals

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I could point out that neither of them are relying on purely his name to sell the tix - because NYE is NYE, and summer sessions are designed to tap-in to the Edinburgh Festival crowd.

I've no idea who'd buy a R'nB-Man ticket, but I don't know who'd buy a Polonium ticket either - and she's one of the most popular acts in the country. :wacko:

That’s all true. These gigs are screaming out as tourist traps. None of the acts playing are exactly rare finds in the summer. 

1 minute ago, mazza7 said:

Kasabian playing is a bit of a strange one. You'd think DF would want them playing to a much bigger crowd after their TRNSMT day sold out last year.

If they aren't elsewhere I wouldn't be surprised if they did the whole weekend, seems like they are up here every summer mind

Really disappointing safe bookings. Why not take a chance on some upcoming artists. I know tickets need to be sold for these things but there are so many other bands who would draw people in. It is August in Edinburgh and the festival will be on so these shows will probably do quite well and Kasabian on a Saturday will sell out. More dates to be added? (or just wishful thinking) 

1 hour ago, Chiefski said:

If they aren't elsewhere I wouldn't be surprised if they did the whole weekend, seems like they are up here every summer mind

As in play the Glasgow site too?

I actually remembered that they do tend to play smaller events/venues in the UK when they are between albums, so maybe this gig fits in with that.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...