2018 - Any advice or help needed ?

ramragon

I suppose it's time to start the annual help thread for people heading in to the fields for the first time or anyone who just wants to ask random stuff. So.......

if anyone has any questions they wanna ask about Kendal Calling or need some advice or clarification on something then fire away. It doesn't matter how trivial you think the question is im sure you'll get a response. Nobody on here works for the festival so the answers you'll get are based on our experiences going to it over past years. Don't hit us if we're slightly wrong though as the rules, layouts and plans change a lot

Plus if any non members want to join to ask anything please feel free. Introduce yourself and join in, the more the merrier

What’s it like getting a drink from the bars, does it take long? Is it a token system or just cash, it’s there a queuing system, IOW have a fantastic queuing  system which is so well organised that you never queue for more than about 1 minute for a drink.

It' a free for all that uses cash or contactless card payments. When there's nobody on stage performing it can take longer than when someone's playing. There are also loads of different styles of bars dotted round from standard, real ale tent, wine bars, gin bar, champagne bar, kraken bar (if it's back) 

Main stage can take a while, away from main it' a lot quicker and can take a couple of minutes depending on where you are 

8 hours ago, Smeble said:

What’s it like getting a drink from the bars, does it take long? Is it a token system or just cash, it’s there a queuing system, IOW have a fantastic queuing  system which is so well organised that you never queue for more than about 1 minute for a drink.

Expensive

What is the correct, polite course of action to take if, in the middle of the night in emperor's you hear a Scottish female voice screaming 'Rob, Rob, Graham's finally gone to sleep, I need you now... and Mrs Botton too!' 

I think the message may have been cryptic so any help appreciated.

First time for me and the missus at KC this year. Really looking forward to it to be honest. The line up isn't as special as I thought it would be but I'm an indie lad so James, OCS etc work for me! Not arsed for any of the headliners so will be checking out the other tents. First festival I've camped at since V 2009 so I'm a little rusty!

Where's generally the best place to camp? Think I chose Great Holmes? when buying tickets. Not arsed for being too near all the riff raff but not too far from the action. Is queuing to get into the site (driving) a standard nightmare on Friday morning?

How much is it to sup in the arena? I'm assuming 4 quid minimum?

Any general tips to having a class time, tents to check out etc much appreciated 

Cheers!

18 hours ago, MandogMillionaire said:

First time for me and the missus at KC this year. Really looking forward to it to be honest. The line up isn't as special as I thought it would be but I'm an indie lad so James, OCS etc work for me! Not arsed for any of the headliners so will be checking out the other tents. First festival I've camped at since V 2009 so I'm a little rusty!

Where's generally the best place to camp? Think I chose Great Holmes? when buying tickets. Not arsed for being too near all the riff raff but not too far from the action. Is queuing to get into the site (driving) a standard nightmare on Friday morning?

How much is it to sup in the arena? I'm assuming 4 quid minimum?

Any general tips to having a class time, tents to check out etc much appreciated 

Cheers!

Can't comment on Friday arrival as we always go Thurs, camping wise just don't turn right as you come down the hill from entry/security checks as the nearer you go to the arena the more carnage you will encounter, think it's called wolf woods.  I think from memory it was something like £4.70 for a drink.  The woodlands is good for a wander especially at night for a bit of the weird n wonderful, calling out stage is tented but not huge so if there's someone you really want to see then get up there and hang around a bit if you want a decent spot.  Other places I've liked in the past are the jagerhaus, riot jazz and chai wallahs - hoping they'll all be there this year again.  I'm just praying we don't get the biblical downpours we got in 2014, that was hard work that year!

Edited by jamj

• 3 months later...
16 hours ago, Pemusgrave said:

Hi, I'm a first timer this year. Just wondered what the campsite shop was like? Does it sell alcohol? Ice?

Thanks in advance

The camp shop is a bit of a rip off to be fair, doesn't sell alcohol or ice as far as I am aware. more bread, milk, ponchos etc

If you're after trying to keep booze cold I would suggest storing under your tent. We also buy an industrial sized slab of bacon for the weekend which we freeze and take in a cool bag. bacon sarnies on the go every morning + chuck a few cans into the bag each morning and you have chilled lunchtime ales!

How's the arena security for getting a cheeky hip flask past? I'm more used to Leeds where they only just stop short of a strip search.

Optimum time for arriving on Thursday? I'm only in West Cumbria so can time my run fairly accurately 

23 minutes ago, footix2 said:

How's the arena security for getting a cheeky hip flask past? I'm more used to Leeds where they only just stop short of a strip search.

Optimum time for arriving on Thursday? I'm only in West Cumbria so can time my run fairly accurately 

hip flask you might be ok, maybe more safely stored than normal!

We try to set off before 10:30 and are normally in for 12:30-1ish (it is a 65-70 minute journey any other weekend) although we had 1 year where we left around 10 and got in at 4 but hopefully we won't have any of that nonsense again! 

seems to be busiest arrival time between 12-3 but if you are in and sorted, you open a bevvy and watch the carnage unfold around you!

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, Globalist said:

If you have a campervan ticket, can you pitch a tent next to it? Also, if you have one does it matter many people are in it as long as they have tickets? My pal might be taking one and it'd be handy to cadge a lift from him with all my stuff...

yep - you can put as many tents as you want as long as it all fits on  the pitch ( 7m x 7m) we had about 7 tenst with us last year with 3 vans

48 minutes ago, blue6field said:

Quick question .

what are the showers like in emperors fields? my wife and daughter are coming with me this year and I’d like to be able to give them a heads up to what to expect

thanks in advance?

They are not bad actually but the q's in the morning can be a bit long.