Run DMC as Saturday headliner

ramragon

I'd say if you added last years headliners (FF, TT, Stereophonics and Manics) "hits" together it'd be quite a high number. Compare that to this years headliners "hits" , barely in to double figures. How does Snoop Dogg (for sheezy my neezy!) play a sub headliner slot yet Run DMC are headlining ??? Even the Sugarhill Gang ( better than RUN DMC with more hits IMO) played a 5pm slot 2 years ago!

So to answer your question Ramragon . . No, I can not !!

22 minutes ago, Port-a-loo Pete said:

I'd say if you added last years headliners (FF, TT, Stereophonics and Manics) "hits" together it'd be quite a high number. Compare that to this years headliners "hits" , barely in to double figures. How does Snoop Dogg (for sheezy my neezy!) play a sub headliner slot yet Run DMC are headlining ??? Even the Sugarhill Gang ( better than RUN DMC with more hits IMO) played a 5pm slot 2 years ago!

So to answer your question Ramragon . . No, I can not !!

The are headliners because they headlined a ‘bigger’ festival last year. They shouldn’t have headlined that but once the precedence is set it’s not going to charge in only the following year.

4 hours ago, LOCHLAND5 said:

Errrrr party at the palace has some hefty corporate sponsors and it’s for charity ! 

The sun , Bauer radio , glens vodka to name a few ! 

I agree though RUN DMC as a headliner sucks pipe ! 

It's a very small and amateurish festival. It's not a big deal at all. Most of the custom is oldies that won't leave their deckchairs. 

The Lightning Seeds nearly pulled last year after learning The Sun was involved. It turns out The Sun only sponsor the breakout stage and The Lightning Seeds reconsidered their last minute pull out. That stage was the size of a car and had bad pub bands playing any time I went up. It's not a big deal. 

Likewise it's only supported by the local Forth radio and not across the Bauer radio network. 

Is Glen's Platinum vodka a big hitter? They never had much presence other than a ball pit and the vodka being served behind the bar. The bars were empty all day. Never once did we have to stop as they had more people serving than drinking.

The festival is far too small to be worthwhile throwing big money behind. The capacity is 7000 and it was far from a sell out on Sunday last year. 

They do give some money to local charities, but it's very much a profit making event. 

The last time I went to see James Live was at The Hydro supported by Starsailor. The complete top tier and half the second tier was all closed off. Great band, but they aren't the attraction they once were. 

They also headlined that farcical festival in Liverpool last year. 

14 minutes ago, Peanutsinger said:

The last time I went to see James Live was at The Hydro supported by Starsailor. The complete top tier and half the second tier was all closed off. Great band, but they aren't the attraction they once were. 

Was that a Saturday night November 2014 ? Did the crowd grab Tim booths cock while he was crowd surfing ? If so I was there in the seats didn’t seem that empty ! All though I had been on the bevy all day with the cnumbty clan so I wouldn’t of known any how lol

12 minutes ago, LOCHLAND5 said:

Was that a Saturday night November 2014 ? Did the crowd grab Tim booths cock while he was crowd surfing ? If so I was there in the seats didn’t seem that empty ! All though I had been on the bevy all day with the cnumbty clan so I wouldn’t of known any how lol

I don't remember the penis bit, but I think it was 2014 maybe 2015.

They had pulled a black curtain right across the top tier. 

The one thing that stood out was when they started off playing off a low key song and Tim suddenly stopped due to a little background noise. 

He said something along the lines of "Glasgow on a Saturday night isn't place to be doing this........." 

It came across as rude and the crowd did boo a bit. It was a bit awkward.

Edited by Peanutsinger

I have tried for 2 days solid to see why run dmc should be headliners and I have come up with not 1 viable reason,  yes if they played at 6 o'clock Saturday then people may have turned up hoping for a sugarhill gang repeat but as a headliner never in God's earth are they headliners, I can understand catfish cos wherever they play it sells out very fast and big venues, I can just about understand Libertines more hype than substance tho so the answer to your question no I can't tell you why run dmc are headlining and would love somebody from the organisers to actually explain it

14 minutes ago, jamj said:

I bet the ones that boo'd wanted sit down and laid played too........on repeat all night......

It was more the way he stopped the song and then made it sound like an insult toward the crowd. It didn't come across well at all. 

It's a big ask to expect complete silence.

4 hours ago, Port-a-loo Pete said:

So, once you weasel yourself in to headline a festival then that's it, headliner for life?? Crazy. Let's hope the hotpots never headline!!

No but if you headlined a bigger festival last year why would you not headline a smaller festival this year.

14 hours ago, Peanutsinger said:

It was more the way he stopped the song and then made it sound like an insult toward the crowd. It didn't come across well at all. 

It's a big ask to expect complete silence.

It was the song about his mum dying and he go pissed off at folk talking through the intro.

All got a bit messy and he abandoned it and they played something else.

To be fair, when you see the release poster, the only act highlighted as a headliner is the Hacienda Classical. I’m not saying Catfish, Run DMC or The Libs aren’t headlining but it’s by no means a gimme. FWIW, I think Catfish & The Bottlemen are a great shout. Seen them a few times live & have never been disappointed. The Libertines, seen a few times & they’re a bit up & down but think they’ll struggle to get the crowd going on a Sunday night if the weather is shite. Run DMC, I do not see headlining on Saturday night, I think Kendal Calling may have another act lined up & as many have pointed out, the whole festival is crying out for some female acts/bands. 

This is just the first release, plenty more to come with some musical diversity (finger crossed) due surely !

Edited by Nelson23

13 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

It was the song about his mum dying and he go pissed off at folk talking through the intro.

All got a bit messy and he abandoned it and they played something else.

They played Moving On later in the set. 

I've no idea what the song was they skipped. They barely even started, but it was very slow. 

5 hours ago, Peanutsinger said:

They played Moving On later in the set. 

I've no idea what the song was they skipped. They barely even started, but it was very slow. 

Ah ok. Think it was maybe a brand new one. Moving on was the one I was thinking of but couldn’t have been that if they played it later.

If they only get an hour, their set list at KC will be interesting. I like the way they mix it up and include some new stuff but can be frustrating for the casual fan at a festival I’d imagine.

I think.....the first time I saw them headline Kendal was the first time I saw them doing the slow, acoustic version of sit down.

29 minutes ago, Wayward said:

I'm looking forward to Run DMC. I do agree though, I think they would do a great 45 mins - a full 90 min slot will drag.

Saturday night main headliner still to be announced...

Much as I hope you are right.....

The boy on the radio said a few times things like....that’s your 4 headliners.

Think the best we might get is a decent sub but you never know.

Seen Run-DMC twice last year & they were awful. 6/7 tunes, waffle political posturing, self backslapping, garbage.

headliners my arse. 

Catfish ive seen a few times, including at Kendal. Again, not got loads of recognisable tunes & it's run of the mill indie fodder, but didn't the Killers only have one album when they headlined Glastonbury the first time?

Headliners? not sure.

Libertines. You'll know more tunes than you think, and if they are on form are a pretty tight band.

Headliners? I wouldn't have had them closing on the Sunday, but they should be ok.

all in all I'm not overly impressed with the headliners, but I don't go to a festival just for the main stages.

plenty on the undercard already for me.

• 4 months later...
On 2/9/2018 at 10:37 AM, Saturn5 said:

I totally agree with all comments. For this slot, I think we will be off looking for other bands. If they’d have used this slot for Richard Ashcroft, then that’s the perfect festival for me. Out of interest, when KC organisers asked us who we would like to see play a few months back, I’d love to know how many people said Run DMC! I’d bet my tent on the fact it wasn’t an overwhelming choice amongst customers - seriously, what was the point of that exercise? (I do this as a job btw - market research). 

Bands I suggest always seem to make it on funnily enough - a group of us put FLC for this year and its happened!

We also put basement jaxx... but they are just putting records on - what is the point of that??