Where do you buy your vinyl?

mike86

Predominantly Discogs now. The only record shop I use on a regular basis these days is the vinyl exchange in Manchester.

Used to travel up and down the country looking for vinyl. Most of the old record shops no longer exist or only sell their vinyl online.

I keep saying that I will pay a visit to one called retrotrax near Liverpool. It only opens on a Friday and Saturday though. 

New stuff in Manchester I use Fopp mainly and sometimes Piccadilly Records. Online for new stuff I try to use the artist's own website or bandcamp, if not there then I'll look around, I use Juno a lot.

Discogs is brilliant for used records. I always use it as a resource if I'm out buying, check to see if a particular pressing is worth buying, see what's a good bargain. I buy quite a bit of stuff from there as well, I get a weird kick out of having a load of 70s and 80s stuff in my collection with the sleeves in different European languages.

Just started collecting picture discs and use discogs as my guide. We have a stall in our indoor market only opens on a Saturday, eBay which so far so good - and Amazon. Looking for record fair close by but nothing at the moment.

Yes I know sound quality can be inferior but it's more for collecting than playing - just stick it on usb stick. Do look out for the other odd rare normal vinyl that I've found out about via a book I've bought as well, but only buy stuff I like.

There’s a store on eBay called all_your_music which I’ve mentioned before. They’re American so stuff takes a week or so longer to reach you but they’ve got a really good range and can be a lot cheaper in place.

Remember making a lot of people on here happy last year when I pointed out they were selling In Rainbows for about 12 quid.

17 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

New stuff in Manchester I use Fopp mainly and sometimes Piccadilly Records. Online for new stuff I try to use the artist's own website or bandcamp, if not there then I'll look around, I use Juno a lot.

Discogs is brilliant for used records. I always use it as a resource if I'm out buying, check to see if a particular pressing is worth buying, see what's a good bargain. I buy quite a bit of stuff from there as well, I get a weird kick out of having a load of 70s and 80s stuff in my collection with the sleeves in different European languages.

My fave ever European vinyl sleeve :-)

download.jpg

I get a lot from Amazon, but I'm trying to consciously make more time to actually go to record shops and not purchase everything online. Have used Flashback Records and Rough Trade East a fair bit as of late. 

There's an independent that does ace coffee near to where we're about to move house, so I'm looking forward to spending more time there. 

Edit : Just been on their website and Gatefold have a Jan sale on. They've got Field Music - Commonplace for £11, Justice - Woman for £12 and a load of other stuff that may interest some of you. 

Edited by nikkic

1 hour ago, vintagelaureate said:

What did you type to find that? Or is it a photo from the private collection? :D

Hello vintage,

If you type in ' gimp mask' it'll probably come up - but you possibly will run the risk of your misses hitting you on the head with something. Maybe not - I don't know. What I can tell you is that I posted this on efests a long long time ago (years, I think), slightly insinuating that it was me, but never actually saying that it was me. I just wanted to see what peoples reactions would be. That, I'm afraid, is as far as my deviancy goes ie. I'm really not at all in to this type of stuff, but did say at the time that this bloke must get invited to some right good parties!

Incidentally whilst searching for it again tonight to post on here I inputted something like 'gimp masks' or 'gimp costumes' or some such. Anyway, and as you can imagine, a whole shed load of weird stuff came up on my computer when I had clicked photos. It was at that point that my wife walked behind me to put up some curtains on the curtain rail on the window next to where I was sitting. So, in case she had seen what was on my screen (not that I'd really have to worry about that) I said to her ' Just in case you were wondering, I'm just looking up photos of gimp masks and costumes'. Her response was ' I don't give a fuck, as long as you get that new bed up the stairs I don't give a shit what you do'!  lol

Actually, I've only just remembered - I had the sitting down photo as a profile picture way way back. I only had it on for a short period of time  though, until I got bored of it. I think that it might be the only profile pic that I have created. Out of sheer boredom, I might create another profile pic - if I can work out how to do it again! Don't hold your breath though, because you might go purple waiting!