Advice for a UK festival virgin

Wun Weg Wun Dar Wun

Apologies if this should be somewhere else, really couldn't find where to put it!

My girlfriend will turn 32 soon, and has been regretfully complaining that she's never been to a proper festival in her life, and fears that she's now getting to old for it. So as a surprise, I want to prove her wrong by taking her to one!

My last one was about 10 years ago though (Lowlands in the Netherlands). We've moved to the UK since then, and I don't know a whole lot about the festival scene here.

Glastonbury is obviously out of the running this year, and we're not available for the Isle of Wight weekend. She's not really into Dance or Hard Rock, but other than that her musical taste is quite broad.

So, would any of you seasoned festival-goers be able to give some advice on which UK festival might be a good bet to make her experience the 'true' festival experience (camping grounds, big crowds, party atmosphere...), where we won't be considered 'too old' at our ripe old age of 32?

Right now I'm mainly thinking about either Bestival or Boomtown. I'm a little bit worried though that both are heavily advertised as 'family friendly'. Don't get me wrong, I generally like children as much as the next guy, but I'm not looking for a tame family affair with loads of kids running around everywhere. Any experiences with those two festivals, any advice to choose between the two or for an alternative that might be more suitable?

Many thanks!!

I wouldn't take a kid to Boomtown (have happily taken them to others), tho some people do. It's party central rather than family friendly*. Bestival is very party too, but probably less-so.

(* that doesn't mean it's unfriendly, but you probably wouldn't think a pub of partying people was the place to take a kid).

You're not too old (says this much older git :P) for either. Of the two it's probably the case (it's a few years since I've been to either) that Boomtown has more of a younger crowd but you certainly wouldn't be unusual at your age.

Boomtown is much more of a whole-thing spectacle than Bestival, while Bestival tends to have more 'name' acts to its line-up (tho Boomtown's 'names' have expanded in recent years and might do again). Take your pick. 

Me, I'd choose Boomtown of those two, but it's horses for courses so go for what you like. :)

Edited by eFestivals

Maybe we could help with a bit more information - like what part of the country you live in.  No point in us suggesting a festival in Scotland if you live in Cornwall - or vice versa.  Also a bit more on what you are looking for in a festival.  As for age - irrelevant.  I started going to fests when I was half your girlfriend's age and I'm now more than twice her age and still enjoy fests - five lined up so far this year.

Thanks for those replies, great to hear we don't need to worry about our age! 

Grumpyhack: we live in London. Going somewhere relatively close by is great, but even if a festival is in Scotland, we wouldn't be averse to travelling!

As for more info on what we're looking for: 

- I'd like to go for a relatively big festival, with a good party atmosphere, get fully immersed (away from the comforts of civilizations for 3/4/5 days...)

- Reason why I'm mentioning 'party atmosphere' above is that I was looking into Wilderness festival before, but people warned me that would perhaps be a bit too chilled for our tastes, more of a family affair.

- Music would probably be the main thing for us, but not in that we're after the hottest new acts or biggest names... my gf has quite a broad taste musically and loves discovering those new little Indie bands that she never heard of before... 

Not sure what more info I could give... I'll consider any possible suggestion that you have!

I'd probably, given your criteria, go with Neil (Mr EFestivals) on Boomtown.

It depends how much energy you want to put into your festival-going.  Reading and V are teenagers getting pissed and off their heads and  the Isle of Wight to my tastes is horrendously corporate.

As an old fart these days festivals, for me, are now much more about camping (well actually caravanning) and chilling with my mates and the music comes second. Also because I tow a very big twin axle caravan I also wouldn't want to travel a great distance.  But in your yoof enjoy your camping.

both Boomtown and Bestival sound like they'd suit you.

In my own opinion of 35 years of festival going (I've been to a LOT of festies!) I'd say Boomtown is currently the best festival in the UK, and that the majority of people will love it for one visit even if they might feel there's not enough there for them to want to go back (cos the music it has isn't everyone's bag) - cos there's so much to explore. It's a huge mad city, like a film set.

Bestival is much more like a 'normal' music festival in comparison, but still good at what it does.

1 hour ago, Wun Weg Wun Dar Wun said:

Thanks for those replies, great to hear we don't need to worry about our age! 

Grumpyhack: we live in London. Going somewhere relatively close by is great, but even if a festival is in Scotland, we wouldn't be averse to travelling!

As for more info on what we're looking for: 

- I'd like to go for a relatively big festival, with a good party atmosphere, get fully immersed (away from the comforts of civilizations for 3/4/5 days...)

- Reason why I'm mentioning 'party atmosphere' above is that I was looking into Wilderness festival before, but people warned me that would perhaps be a bit too chilled for our tastes, more of a family affair.

- Music would probably be the main thing for us, but not in that we're after the hottest new acts or biggest names... my gf has quite a broad taste musically and loves discovering those new little Indie bands that she never heard of before... 

Not sure what more info I could give... I'll consider any possible suggestion that you have!

End of the road may be good. It finishes earlysh (2.30 in the morning) and is a bit folky

Green Man is a bit more 24 hour. It rains all the time though!

music wise, they are both very good at that aspect IMO. Its not REALLY take drugs and dance all night though. (Though green man can be a little like that in the early hours)

Edited by zahidf

Big fan of Bestival but can only talk about the IOW version. Interesting lineup usually. Seeing the Village People and The Cure on the same stage on the same day for example.  

Latitude surprised me. Went there on my stag do but would just as easily go back with my wife and daughter. 

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

End of the road may be good. It finishes earlysh (2.30 in the morning) and is a bit folky

music wise, they are both very good at that aspect IMO. Its not REALLY take drugs and dance all night though. (Though green man can be a little like that in the early hours)

I must have gone to bed early at Green Man and missed a few things!  Green Man last year became my festival of choice. For me it had all the best bits of Glastonbury without the hassle.  Very good range of music put together by people who really know their bands, breathtaking setting, huge range of real ale for those into such things, good choice of food - including many of the Glasto regulars.  Also fascinating side areas like Einstein's Garden to explore - a bit like the Green Fields at Glasto.

I can't remember it raining that much so perhaps I was on the Glastonbury Ciggies.

Edited by grumpyhack

1 minute ago, Wun Weg Wun Dar Wun said:

Many thanks for all the feedback people, it really is appreciated!

I've decided to pull the trigger and got myself some Boomtown tickets. Can't wait!

I'd dive in for ticket right this moment if you can ... they announce the line-up in an hour, and over half the tickets have already been sold.

21 hours ago, zahidf said:

How very dare you!

It doesn't rain EVERY day. Just part the way through most days.

I think we did have a few rain free days some time.

1976, I think it was.

It was a big nashie rallying call back in the day.....

hosepipe ban? Drought? In Wales?

it's those fuckers drowning our villages to steal our water behind this, I'm telling you.

AND we pay more for our own bloody water than the buggers nicking it!

Edited by feral chile

1 hour ago, feral chile said:

How very dare you!

It doesn't rain EVERY day. Just part the way through most days.

I think we did have a few rain free days some time.

1976, I think it was.

It was a big nashie rallying call back in the day.....

hosepipe ban? Drought? In Wales?

it's those fuckers drowning our villages to steal our water behind this, I'm telling you.

AND we pay more for our own bloody water than the buggers nicking it!

Hello feral,

You'll be talking about The Elan Valley and us Brummies I gather (although, I've fairly recently moved away, I'm still a Brummie). When the Conservatives sold off the water boards by privatising them the ownership of our water supply went over to Severn Trent Water. One day I was in town (Birmingham city centre) and saw an old lady with loads of placard boards protesting outside the Council House. I went over to see what she was protesting about, and read the placards. I just could not believe what I was reading. Apparently it was the 1892 Birmingham Corporation Water Act which allowed the city of Birmingham to compulsory purchase the Elan and Claerwen valleys, to create a fresh water supply system for the city. So the city purchased the valleys and work started on the reservoirs etc in 1893.

Anyway, the old lady was (quite rightly, in my opinion) protesting because it was the city of Birmingham who paid for the building of the reservoirs, pipeworks etc to create this supply, through the taxation of the people of Birmingham. So, she was arguing, that it was the city of Birmingham that 'owned' the reservoirs and supply etc, and was not some sort of national treasure that the Tory's could sell off. However, they still did, and got away with it.

So to conclude, Severn Trent Water now charge the people of Birmingham for water which was already theirs (OK, yours) to begin with. I'll have to sign off now, as this subject really does boil my piss when I think about it too much. Had I been older and more savvy than I was then, I'd have joined that lady's protest. 

17 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello feral,

You'll be talking about The Elan Valley and us Brummies I gather (although, I've fairly recently moved away, I'm still a Brummie). When the Conservatives sold off the water boards by privatising them the ownership of our water supply went over to Severn Trent Water. One day I was in town (Birmingham city centre) and saw an old lady with loads of placard boards protesting outside the Council House. I went over to see what she was protesting about, and read the placards. I just could not believe what I was reading. Apparently it was the 1892 Birmingham Corporation Water Act which allowed the city of Birmingham to compulsory purchase the Elan and Claerwen valleys, to create a fresh water supply system for the city. So the city purchased the valleys and work started on the reservoirs etc in 1893.

Anyway, the old lady was (quite rightly, in my opinion) protesting because it was the city of Birmingham who paid for the building of the reservoirs, pipeworks etc to create this supply, through the taxation of the people of Birmingham. So, she was arguing, that it was the city of Birmingham that 'owned' the reservoirs and supply etc, and was not some sort of national treasure that the Tory's could sell off. However, they still did, and got away with it.

So to conclude, Severn Trent Water now charge the people of Birmingham for water which was already theirs (OK, yours) to begin with. I'll have to sign off now, as this subject really does boil my piss when I think about it too much. Had I been older and more savvy than I was then, I'd have joined that lady's protest. 

Liverpool used to get the fault.

Back in the days of nationalised water, their water board (allegedly) charged less than ours, for water that was (allegedly) piped from Wales. Compulsorily (is that a word?)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/timelines/zt4hycw

We were a militant lot back in the 70s. even our teachers used to incite us to nationalism, such was the national outrage at Tryweryn.

it would do Plaid the world of good if the Tories (natural party for working class welshies  to hate) did something similar.

Thatcher probably helped us get devolution.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/wales/entries/ab1f054b-b6e9-4178-9065-ed2c1e3641ff

claim to fame: I used to hang out with John Jenkin's (leader of MAC) son.

http://babylonwales.blogspot.co.uk/2006/05/welsh-terrorist-chic.html

Plus, I snogged Bon Scott when I was 16.

I met my husband at 16, so that was the end of my wild child days.

Edited by feral chile

3 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

Claim to fame.  I'll see you and raise you one:

Elizabeth Taylor made me a cup of tea.

Tch one upmanship. Last time I bragged outside here about Bon, the woman I boasted to had slept with one of The Cure and he sent her home in the morning in a chauffeured limousine.

And someone I work with has gotten friendly with some famous people. I forget who now, I was busy getting my face back to its normal non green shade.

And now you're getting waited on by our Liz.

:nono:

It's not even like we were close. I had a massive crush on him as he was gorgeous but he was way out of my league. 

John Jenkins' son this is. Bon was well up for it.

It would be frowned on now I suppose. I was a drunk 16 year old and he was 30.

I also slapped Bon hard across the face and I was so drunk I can't remember why.

Edited by feral chile

4 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello feral,

I can see this water ownership is more complicated  than I thought.

On 2/8/2018 at 6:37 PM, feral chile said:

I met my husband at 16, so that was the end of my wild child days.

16!  Wow. I didn't have a girlfriend at all until I was about 21. Well I did, kind of. Would you believe that at about the age of 18 I went out with a girl who was 17, and for that two weeks hadn't got a fucking clue what her real name was. She was always referred to by others by a nick name,  and I just could not, for the life of me, find out what her actual Christian name and surname (would you believe my wife has just told me that I'm not supposed to use the term Christian name anymore but use the term 'First Name'). Well, do fuck off to you the spanners that thought that one up. Restricting the ability to use language, in any form, is bollocks - in my opinion. I can see that this might portray a racist projection. It's not racist. I once read an article where Quentin Tarantino was asked did he feel anyway responsible for a death that was a copy cat killing of one of the scenes from one of his films. His answer was that he refused to be shackled by that kind of censorship. I agree with him.

.revolution-gaming-poker-network.jpg

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

16!  Wow. I didn't have a girlfriend at all until I was about 21. Well I did, kind of. Would you believe that at about the age of 18 I went out with a girl who was 17, and for that two weeks hadn't got a fucking clue what her real name was. She was always referred to by others by a nick name,  and I just could not, for the life of me, find out what her actual Christian name and surname (would you believe my wife has just told me that I'm not supposed to use the term Christian name anymore but use the term 'First Name'). Well, do fuck off to you the spanners that thought that one up. Restricting the ability to use language, in any form, is bollocks - in my opinion. I can see that this might portray a racist projection. It's not racist. I once read an article where Quentin Tarantino was asked did he feel anyway responsible for a death that was a copy cat killing of one of the scenes from one of his films. His answer was that he refused to be shackled by that kind of censorship. I agree with him.

.revolution-gaming-poker-network.jpg

Engaged at 17, married with a mortgage at 19, my 3rd child born the day after my 23rd birthday. 

18 hours ago, feral chile said:

Engaged at 17, married with a mortgage at 19, my 3rd child born the day after my 23rd birthday. 

Wow. I never had any expectations of ever getting married. I nearly got away with it too! lol  I eventually succumbed when I was 49.

By the way - in the clear light of day + not drunk - I realize that official forms saying 'First name' rather than 'Christian name' is actually far more appropriate. It's difficult being a mistaken bell end. You'd have thought that I'd be used to it by now though! lol