Meltdown 2018

the wonderwhy

2 minutes ago, cdm22 said:

It isn't as just bought a ticket. They keep coming back every so often if you keep refreshing.

FFS, I just read on their twitter it was sold out. Sorry. Meltdown are annoying as fuck. There's still the queue going on an hour and a half after tickets went on sale, I'm just gonna hope for a Manchester date or something.

Edited by James96

1 minute ago, James96 said:

FFS, I just read on their twitter it was sold out. Sorry. Meltdown are annoying as fuck.

Yeah, saw that. There are very very few and its just luck from pressing F5 as some come back on from baskets that have timed out.

(also I was only after 1 ticket and its on the balcony)

Edited by cdm22

Just now, cdm22 said:

Yeah, saw that. There are very very few and its just luck from pressing F5 as some come back on from baskets that have timed out.

Probably least pleasant ticket buying experience, and the whole members presale thing is horrible. I'd rather not support Southbank's anti-consumer practices anyway to be honest.

The members presale is a little annoying - however this queuing system works a treat. And regardless of how many tabs you have open, you move forward in the queue at the same time for all of them meaning you're able to buy for all the shows you want - I actually think it's a delightful system. 

Got MBV and Alcest tickets. Never stood a chance with NIN, but I will be hanging round outside the Placebo gig for anyone selling a spare!!

1 hour ago, chemica said:

The members presale is a little annoying - however this queuing system works a treat. And regardless of how many tabs you have open, you move forward in the queue at the same time for all of them meaning you're able to buy for all the shows you want - I actually think it's a delightful system. 

Got MBV and Alcest tickets. Never stood a chance with NIN, but I will be hanging round outside the Placebo gig for anyone selling a spare!!

I wouldn't say it's a little annoying, rather extremely annoying. You shouldn't have to pay a premium in order to purchase something early. Oh well, fuck this festival.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, James96 said:

I wouldn't say it's a little annoying, rather extremely annoying. You shouldn't have to pay a premium in order to purchase something early. Oh well, fuck this festival.

The Southbank Centre isn't run just for this festival, it does tons of free art, and free musical performances and a lot of community arts projects - all of which is paid for by the memberships they sell to their members, I can't begrudge them the perk of having earlybird access to the ticket sales at all, it's the same with the Roundhouse. If they did allow all of the tickets for a particular event to go to the members then that's an issue that should be looked at,but if that isn't the case then I can't see anything wrong with it at all. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

The Southbank Centre isn't run just for this festival, it does tons of free art, and free musical performances and a lot of community arts projects - all of which is paid for by the memberships they sell to their members, I can't begrudge them the perk of having earlybird access to the ticket sales at all, it's the same with the Roundhouse. If they did allow all of the tickets for a particular event to go to the members then that's an issue that should be looked at,but if that isn't the case then I can't see anything wrong with it at all. 

Maybe I'm being slightly harsh. I'm all for free art and such but the presale stuff is just silly. And to be honest they did give pretty much all of the tickets up to members.

8 minutes ago, James96 said:

Maybe I'm being slightly harsh. I'm all for free art and such but the presale stuff is just silly. And to be honest they did give pretty much all of the tickets up to members.

They offer pre-sale to members for all of their ticketed events there, its basically the main draw of having the membership I guess, appreciate it often means that the 'genuine' fans of some of the bands that play at Meltdown don't get a sniff of tickets, and that absolutely sucks - I think that a 50/50 split between pre-sale and GS would be the best way forward for something like Meltdown.  

11 minutes ago, James96 said:

I would say you're definitely being harsh. If it wasn't the prestigious arts space it is then there'd be no Bob Smith curated Meltdown with all yer faves, and if there weren't these memberships propping it up then it would struggle to stay afloat. Manchester International Festival is about the same; these aren't regular gigs so they can't be expected to be treated as such, and that's why it's not necessarily in line with gig ticket prices and you have to jump through different hoops, and I bet that drives a fair amount of people away. Anyway I'm pretty sure you'll get a chance to see any of these acts again outside the Southbank Centre.

14 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I would say you're definitely being harsh. If it wasn't the prestigious arts space it is then there'd be no Bob Smith curated Meltdown with all yer faves, and if there weren't these memberships propping it up then it would struggle to stay afloat. Manchester International Festival is about the same; these aren't regular gigs so they can't be expected to be treated as such, and that's why it's not necessarily in line with gig ticket prices and you have to jump through different hoops, and I bet that drives a fair amount of people away. Anyway I'm pretty sure you'll get a chance to see any of these acts again outside the Southbank Centre.

Alright mate

1 hour ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

They offer pre-sale to members for all of their ticketed events there, its basically the main draw of having the membership I guess, appreciate it often means that the 'genuine' fans of some of the bands that play at Meltdown don't get a sniff of tickets, and that absolutely sucks - I think that a 50/50 split between pre-sale and GS would be the best way forward for something like Meltdown.  

I'm a 'genuine' fan of Nine Inch Nails and got our tickets yesterday via the NIN mailing list presale, so they certainly didn't all get sold to Southbank members. I have a mate who is a Southbank member and didn't manage to get tickets in the Southbank presale on Tuesday.

At the end of the day demand was far bigger than supply. Saying that, their system really needs an upgrade to deal with the demand!

(I also managed to get tickets to My Bloody Valentine today but presistance was key. At one point second row was avaliable but I couldn't justify paying £67 a ticket so went for cheaper ones, but they were there to be had)

Edited by cdm22

I don't agree that the queue system was good. I missed the queue since when I clicked on the MBV link, there was no button "join the queue", just a button saying "tickets not on sale yet".

They can do pre-sale to members if they want, but to me it gives unfair advantage to London based people who already get all the shows. It is not my job to support art exhibition in other cities.

Edited by emmanuel
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Got 65dos today and Mogwai yesterday so pretty happy with that.

Never expected to get anywhere with MBV and certainly wasn't prepared to get the membership purely to have a better chance.

As Dental said, there will be opportunities to see these bands elsewhere (incl. MBV).

1 hour ago, cdm22 said:

I'm a 'genuine' fan of Nine Inch Nails and got our tickets yesterday via the NIN mailing list presale, so they certainly didn't all get sold to Southbank members. I have a mate who is a Southbank member and didn't manage to get tickets in the Southbank presale on Tuesday.

At the end of the day demand was far bigger than supply. Saying that, their system really needs an upgrade to deal with the demand!

(I also managed to get tickets to My Bloody Valentine today but presistance was key. At one point second row was avaliable but I couldn't justify paying £67 a ticket so went for cheaper ones, but they were there to be had)

Yeah it was much higher than supply, and it happens most years for the festival. I don't think they need to upgrade their systems to be honest, the expense for basically a single days ticket sales a year far outweighs the negative impact on some punters - all the tickets got sold, so as far as they're concerned it all went smoothly enough. 

• 4 weeks later...

Today Southbank Centre announces many more acts for Robert Smith's Meltdown festival (15-24 June 2018) including CURÆTION-25, a special show from Robert Smith himself that will close the festival on Sunday 24 June.

This exclusive one-off performance will see the curator of the 25th Meltdown festival joined by 'four curious friends' and others for a two-hour show in the Royal Festival Hall.

For ticket details head to southbankcentre.co.uk

FULL LIST OF ANNOUNCED ACTS BELOW:

Friday 15 June
PSYCHEDELIC FURS + The Church - 7:30pm, Southbank Centre's Royal Festival Hall
65DAYSOFSTATIC + Tropic of Cancer - 7:30pm, Southbank Centre's Queen Elizabeth Hall
JOYCUT + Indian Queens - 7:30pm Southbank Centre's Purcell Room
CONCRETE LATES: KIASMOS (DJ SET) - 11pm-2am, Southbank Centre's Queen Elizabeth Hall foyer

Saturday 16 June
PLACEBO + Kælan Mikla - 7:30pm, Southbank Centre's Royal Festival Hall
THE NOTWIST + Drahla - 7:30pm, Southbank Centre's Queen Elizabeth Hall
JAMBINAL + Tropic of Cancer - 7:30pm, Southbank Centre's Purcell Room
CONCRETES LATES: VESSELS (Live & DJ Set) - 11pm-2am, Southbank Centre's Queen Elizabeth Hall foyer

Sunday 17 June
THE LIBERTINES + Yonaka - 7:30pm, Southbank Centre's Royal Festival Hall
ALCEST + Emma Ruth Rundle - 7:30pm, Southbank Centre's Queen Elizabeth Hall
LOOP + Planning For Burial - 7:30pm, Southbank Centre's Purcell Room

Monday 18 June
DEATH CAB FOR CUTIE + Fear of Men 7:30pm, Southbank Centre's Royal Festival Hall
GOD IS AN ASTRONAUT + Jambinai - 7:30pm, Southbank Centre's Queen Elizabeth Hall
EMMA RUTH RUNDLE + Planning For Burial - 7:30pm, Southbank Centre's Purcell Room

Tuesday 19 June
MANIC STREET PREACHERS + The Anchoress - 7:30pm, Southbank Centre's Royal Festival Hall
FRIGHTENED RABBIT + Pumarosa - 7:30pm, Southbank Centre's Queen Elizabeth Hall
VEX RED + Douglas Dare - 7:30pm, Southbank Centre's Purcell Room

Wednesday 20 June
DEFTONES + pg.lost - 7:30pm, Southbank Centre's Royal Festival Hall
LOW + Jo Quail - 7:30pm, Southbank Centre's Queen Elizabeth Hall
MOON DUO + Hilary Woods - 7:30pm, Southbank Centre's Purcell Room
LIMINAL - 11pm-2am, Southbank Centre's Queen Elizabeth Hall foyer

Thursday 21 June
MOGWAI + Kathryn Joseph - 7:30pm, Southbank Centre's Royal Festival Hall
KRISTIN HERSH + Matt Holubowski - 7:30pm, Southbank Centre's Queen Elizabeth Hall
PG.LOST + Thought Forms - 7:30pm, Southbank Centre's Purcell Room

Friday 22 June
NINE INCH NAILS + Black Moth Super Rainbow - 7:30pm, Southbank Centre's Royal Festival Hall
MONO + Jo Quail - 7:30pm, Southbank Centre's Queen Elizabeth Hall
THE JOY FORMIDABLE + Kidsmoke - 7:30pm, Southbank Centre's Purcell Room

Saturday 23 June
MY BLOODY VALENTINE + The Soft Moon - 7:30pm, Southbank Centre's Royal Festival Hall
SUZANNE VEGA + James Walsh - 7:30pm, Southbank Centre's Queen Elizabeth Hall
AND ALSO THE TREES + A Dead Forest Index - 7:30pm, Southbank Centre's Purcell Room
CONCRETE LATES: EAT STATIC (DJ Set) - 11pm-2am, Southbank Centre's Queen Elizabeth Hall foyer

Sunday 24 June
CURÆTION-25 + The Twilight Sad - 7:30pm, Southbank Centre's Royal Festival Hall
MAYBESHEWILL + I Like Trains - 7:30pm, Southbank Centre's Queen Elizabeth Hall
THE SOFT MOON + The KVB - 7:30pm, Southbank Centre's Purcell Room

59 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

So the "four curious friends" will likely be the other Cure band members, yeah? So I'm guessing CURÆTION is pretty much just The Cure in everything but name.

from what he said on the radio it will be, plus some guests.

And also, they'll be playing a completely different set to what they play at Hyde Park, playing songs they don't normally play live.