Splendour Festival 2018

moams

I can only find 3/5 clues so i dunno what I am missing lmao

Clue 1 - Instagram - Many of their albums have gone multi-platinum

Clue 3 - Facebook - Theyve reached no. 1 on both the UK album and singles charts

Clue 5 - Twitter - At least 4 top 10 albums

Also i found this one in the nottingham post, dunno if it is 4 or 5, or where they got it from - They have won many awards in their career, including a coveted Brit Award.

The Brit award clue is the most substantial one, so I decided to look through the winners of the last 10 ish years and check any that i thought may be about thw right size and style.

One of Mark Ronsons albums didnt make it to the top 10.

Take That fit the criterea but they have way more than 4 top 10 uk albums (they have more than 4 no. 1 albums i think)

The Fratellis only had 2 of their albums go top 10 and never topped the singles chart (Chelsea Dagger only got to no. 5)

James Blunt i think fits everything, though he has 5 top 10 albums

Will Young would fit everything but he has way more than 4 top 10s and way more no.1 singlea

Scissor Sisters would work exactly.

Mcfly also exceed the criteria tho may be a bit samey as Busted last year

Franz Ferdinand dont have a no. 1 single

The Darkness lack a no. 1 single and a no. 10 album

Basement Jaxx lack a no. 1 single and no. 1 album

Blue would work though they have 3 no. 1 singles and 3 no. 1 albums

TL;DR - James Blunt or Scissor Sisters seem to fit the 4 clues I have dound best.

48 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

do Shed Seven fit the clues? I've no idea if they do.

No no.1 album

31 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Jamiroquai fit all the clues. Playing in Porto the night before though. 

Stereophonics too but playing Lollapalooza Paris the same weekend. (Doesn't say which day though) If it's the Sunday they'd be a good shout for Splendour.

Jamiroquai have never won a Brit Award. Stereophonics do fit everything but they way exceed the 4 top 10 albums (heck, they exceed 4 no.1 albums)

Clues that I’ve seen over all the social media play forms. In no order  

1. Their Albums have gone multi - platinum (Instagram)

2. At least 4 top 10 albums (twitter)

3. Their albums have spent over 50 weeks in the top 10 (Instagram stories)

4. They have reached both number 1 in the uk singles and albums chart. (Facebook)

5 . They’ve won a BRIT award

6 . Pretty sure there was a 6th clue somewhere but can’t find it  

Evertime I think of someone they are already playing in Nottingham at the arena or rock city and haven’t sold out which makes me believe it won’t be them

1 hour ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Jamiroquai fit all the clues. Playing in Porto the night before though. 

Stereophonics too but playing Lollapalooza Paris the same weekend. (Doesn't say which day though) If it's the Sunday they'd be a good shout for Splendour.

Surely won’t be stereophonics they can’t even sell out the arena and that’s only 10’000

We spent a great deal of Friday afternoon trying to work this out :lol: I thought maybe Manics until I saw they'd been announced for Penn Festival the same day (they might not have fit the clues after I saw that anyway).

My monies on Stereophonics, they seem to try and appeal to an older crowd and bring in a lot of families, and seeing as the last three have been Kaiser Chiefs, Jess Glynne/Human League and James/Specials, they're probably an improvement on some of them. I suppose the only stumbling block is Lollapalooza Paris, but there's nothing to suggest they aren't on the Sunday there.

44 minutes ago, jjhoney said:

Could it be Paloma Faith? Not checked tour dates or anything but I'm certain I've read in an interview with the guy who books it they're desperate for her to play?

That sounds incredibly feasible actually, but I just checked and she's never had a number 1 single so she doesnt fit into all the clues given.

EDIT - Infact, she has two as 'guest artists' on Sigma and Artists for Grenfell tracks...

Edited by alexlloyd

5 hours ago, jjhoney said:

Could it be Paloma Faith? Not checked tour dates or anything but I'm certain I've read in an interview with the guy who books it they're desperate for her to play?

Would they pick someone who's only just done a show at the arena in March? That's why I still can't work out who it could be. Guess we will find out tomorrow.

8 hours ago, alexlloyd said:

We spent a great deal of Friday afternoon trying to work this out :lol: I thought maybe Manics until I saw they'd been announced for Penn Festival the same day (they might not have fit the clues after I saw that anyway).

My monies on Stereophonics, they seem to try and appeal to an older crowd and bring in a lot of families, and seeing as the last three have been Kaiser Chiefs, Jess Glynne/Human League and James/Specials, they're probably an improvement on some of them. I suppose the only stumbling block is Lollapalooza Paris, but there's nothing to suggest they aren't on the Sunday there.

A bit of a long shot but if they are appealing to the older crowd what about someone like Tom Jones/Robbie Williams? Both fit the bill/clues

2 minutes ago, moams said:

A bit of a long shot but if they are appealing to the older crowd what about someone like Tom Jones/Robbie Williams? Both fit the bill/clues

I don't really know about Tom Jones nowadays but I think when Robbie last toured (last year or year before?) he was still doing stadiums and charging around £100 for the privilege, so I'd rule him out.

Paloma Faith does sound very plausible, but so do Sterephonics... either way I suppose well find out at 9am tomorrow!

5 minutes ago, alexlloyd said:

I don't really know about Tom Jones nowadays but I think when Robbie last toured (last year or year before?) he was still doing stadiums and charging around £100 for the privilege, so I'd rule him out.

Paloma Faith does sound very plausible, but so do Sterephonics... either way I suppose well find out at 9am tomorrow!

I personally can't see it being either of those two as previously mentioned they are both performing at the arena (Stereophonics in February and Paloma Faith in March) but as you said we shall see tomorrow.