Elton John

Sawdusty surfer

8 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Yes there is is, why is he too big?, he tours every year and struggles to sell out tiny venues. He's a massive name yes but it's not like he could announce Wembley and sell it out now. 1.5hr slot on the Sunday afternoon if he plays. Tbf he does have Friday free next year.

He's too big, simply, because if he was put on at 4/5pm on a Sunday afternoon, the crowd size would almost certainly become unsafe. That'll always beat any other reason as to why he should/shouldn't have a particular slot.

The point about his own ticket sales may well be true - but it doesn't tell all of the story. Let's be honest, only a small percentage of the people who were at Glastonbury in 2014 would buy tickets to a Dolly Parton concert, but she still got an insane crowd because a lot of people know a lot of her songs, and figured this was a great chance to see her and have some fun without splashing out on tickets. Elton, especially on a farewell tour, would have much the same reaction - only more so, to the extent that a 4/5pm slot just wouldn't even be considered.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, incident said:

He's too big, simply, because if he was put on at 4/5pm on a Sunday afternoon, the crowd size would almost certainly become unsafe. That'll always beat any other reason as to why he should/shouldn't have a particular slot.

The point about his own ticket sales may well be true - but it doesn't tell all of the story. Let's be honest, only a small percentage of the people who were at Glastonbury in 2014 would buy tickets to a Dolly Parton concert, but she still got an insane crowd because a lot of people know a lot of her songs, and figured this was a great chance to see her and have some fun without splashing out on tickets. Elton, especially on a farewell tour, would have much the same reaction - only more so, to the extent that a 4/5pm slot just wouldn't even be considered.

I think it would be very similar yes, Lionel's crowd was ridiculously big as well, you literally could not get into the field at one point which is why I don't see this being any different. I'd be happy for him to be either.

Perfect for the Legends slot. He could headline as he has so much material, but he is 70 odd and retiring from touring for a reason! an hour slot is probably all he is up to these days. I have heard his tour performances are pretty hit and miss, which is expected when your 70+ years old... its hard work. 

1 hour ago, Havors said:

Perfect for the Legends slot. He could headline as he has so much material, but he is 70 odd and retiring from touring for a reason! an hour slot is probably all he is up to these days. I have heard his tour performances are pretty hit and miss, which is expected when your 70+ years old... its hard work. 

Eh? He's doing 300+ dates in the next couple of years. You don't put those in your diary if you're not up to it!!

There's absolutely no reason at all as to why he shouldn't headline.

1 hour ago, Badlands said:

Eh? He's doing 300+ dates in the next couple of years. You don't put those in your diary if you're not up to it!!

There's absolutely no reason at all as to why he shouldn't headline.

Woooow there cowboy!! Nobody said he shouldn't be headlining... I was just saying it would make some sense if he did the Legends slot. The guy is retiring for a reason... 

• 3 years later...
8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Surprised he’s playing at Global Citizen right now when he’s just cancelled a tour due to an injury?

He said that due to his injury he can’t do a 3 hour set (and so cancelled his tour), but could manage a forty minute set for Global Citizen

Edited by Mr Boo

9 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I find the handwringing over his voice (or any artist’s that age) to be a little bizarre.

Is he going to sound like he did 30-40 years ago? No.

Will it matter when you’re in a field with 80k people losing their shit to Goodbye Yellow Brick Road? Triple no.

You find it bizarre that people take in live performances and then suddenly get hung up on the whole 'live performance' thing? Gotcha.

10 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I find the handwringing over his voice (or any artist’s that age) to be a little bizarre.

Is he going to sound like he did 30-40 years ago? No.

Will it matter when you’re in a field with 80k people losing their shit to Goodbye Yellow Brick Road? Triple no.

"Oh no no no, I'm a rocket man"

On 1/27/2018 at 8:36 AM, thewayiam said:

I bet he doesn't.

Yes there is is, why is he too big?, he tours every year and struggles to sell out tiny venues. He's a massive name yes but it's not like he could announce Wembley and sell it out now. 1.5hr slot on the Sunday afternoon if he plays. Tbf he does have Friday free next year.

Well this aged well